1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So mixing cabinets is bad but...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Swakey, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Swakey

Swakey

Nov 26, 2012
    So some people say that mixing cabinets with different size speakers is bad but what about cabinets which already have different speakers in them?
    Like the trace elliot 1015h?
    Mesa boogie powerhouse 1200?

2. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    That powerhouse 1200 is a strange concoction, looks interesting(marketing gimmick) but thats all....

That trace 1015h might not be that bad.

3. Doesn't make any difference.

However, 'mixing cabs is bad' is not accurate. Better to think about it as 'mixing cabs is unpredictable'. It can sound GREAT or not so great, depending on efficiency, tuning, etc., etc.

So, in that sense, having different driver sizes within the same box running full range can sound and perform wonderfully. Take, for example, the Bergantino HT322... one of the most impressive and beloved cabs he's ever produced.

It is definitely not a 'black and white' thing.

4. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I can't speak for the TE cab, but IME the Mesa PH1000 and 1200 cabs are by far the worst big cabs Mesa ever made - and I've played and/or owned all of them... Sure, they sound good *by themselves*, until you A/B them with a PH215, 610, 412, or 810 - then the differences are quite noticeable...

- georgestrings

5. +1

The Mesa PH1000 and PH1200 sound like wet cardboard. Mesa's other big cabs are way better. The TE1015h uses mixed speakers, but I dont know if there is an internal cross over. From a quick google search I think the 10's are just filtered and the 15 is full range?

In either case both companies have much better cabs.

6. +1 Those specific executions are a bit of a mess to my ear!

7. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam

It's indeed unpredictable, but most of it all it's inefficient (because of the phase issues you get) , but that same story goes for badly designed (passive) crossovers or wrongly placed drivers....
    It may still sound great though ;)

8. Swakey

Swakey

Nov 26, 2012
    Ok so i guess its one of those roll the dice type deals.
    I was actually planning on buying a trace elliot 1x15 cab and adding a 2x10 until i started reading that mixing cabs doesn't usually work. Not being a betting man myself i might just get a second 1x15 at some point

9. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    Allthough I still feel that a 410+115 will not be a good combo, a 210+115 makes sence. Best would be to bi-amp such a combo.

10. Even so, you gain very little with bi-amping a 210 and a 115. A pair of matching cabs will have greater sound output.

11. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    +1

Though bi-amping + an active crossover between the 210 and 115 would make it a nice flexible system.

If I would need more power, I would not build another 210 with coaxial mid/high driver because then I would loose the excellent dispersion(point source behaviour). I would build a 115 or 118 with one of the Oberton drivers and then buy an active crossover and poweramp so I can cross them at approx 100hz. Giving me lots of power and clarity.

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Biamping only makes sense when you're using specific cabs for specific frequency ranges.(subs for the bottom, mid drivers, and horns) Full range bass cabs are FULL range. Totally different concept. In this case, a pair of matching 15's makes most sense.

13. +1

14. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    The OP maybe wants to buy a Trace 115, thought they also made(in the past) 115's that were solely for the lowend... So bi-amping(with active x-over) would make sense in this case, using the 115 for the stuff below 100hz and the 210 above :)

15. Is the 115 the OP is looking at buying a LF cab? Why use a full range 210 for the mids/highs?

16. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    just chiming in,
    as long as the amp can put out the right power to support multiple cabs without over powering them and if both cabs are the same ohms it should be fine right?

500 watts @ 4 ohms -> 2x10 @ 4 ohms (350 watts RMS) -> 1x15 @ 4 ohms (150 watts RMS)

am i right?

17. Nope

First two 4 Ohm cabs in parallel is a 2 Ohm load, good way to turn your amp into a camp fire. Secondly There is no assurances that a random 115 sounds good with a random 210.

18. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    it wasnt completely random, i was asking from my cab shopping.
    if the amp was sending out 8 ohms into two 4 ohm cabs, that would be a 4 ohm load correct? but if an amp is running say 500 watts at 4 ohms it would be only 250 watts at 8 ohms with two 4 ohm cabs?

19. Silas Stingy

Silas Stingy

Feb 19, 2009
    U.K
  20. No. Two 4 Ohm cabs together is a 2 Ohm load which is dangerous for a 4 Ohm stable amp.