So Mudvayne and korn are going to tour together...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by bazzhed4, Jan 15, 2006.

1. bazzhed4

Aug 2, 2003
    Aberdeen MD
    So who else here thinks that Feildy should make good use of his time with Ryan Martinie and take notes on how to play.

Sorry to bash...i never bash....but i though it was funny that one of the most respected bassists out there (IMHO) is in a band that is OPENING for a band with quite possibly the most disrespected bassists out there: (again IMHO)
    Thoughts anyone?
  2. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Agreed. Martinie is quite the accomplished musician.

I look at it as musician vs. rock star (w/ Fieldy being the rock star). Most musicians just want to play and Martinie is getting to do this. In front of thousands of people is even better.

Fieldy is all about the attitude, the image, etc. The experience/moment is probably wasted on him by this point.

(yeah, mudvayne is about image too, but seriously, too pull off some of the stuff Rynow does you've gotta have good chops - good chops requires practice, ability, musicianship, etc - Fieldy klakity is a breeze)

Oh lordy, I think I just got suckered into my first flame fest..
  3. steve21

steve21 Banned

^ Mudvayne is wayyyyyy less about image now. Lost and Found = no crappy costumes or anything, just good music.

Yeah, ironic the best nu-metal bassist (and possibly nu-metal band) is opening for the worst nu-metal bassist (and definately worst nu-metal band).
  4. haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Mudvayne really isn't that hard to play, until you put it into context with a whole band.

Example, my band is cover Everything and Nothing, I can play the song pretty good by myself, but trying to play it with a band is another story, all the notes are off-time.
  5. haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    BTW, Fieldy bashing is sooo 5 years ago. Give it up guys, unless of course, you can do so much better.
  6. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I am not crazy about Fieldy style these days (and find myself kind of amused when I see kids klacking along in metal bands), but I always thought it suited Korn's music. In their older stuff, his bass playing was a huge part of what made their sound unique at the time.

During the heaviest types of grinds, I use some aggressive B-string slapping. The rhythms I slap are probably a lot faster and more complicated than Fieldy lines, but his playing is what originally inspired me to play like that.
  7. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Nah, it isn't that hard, but it's interesting. You said Everything & Nothing. It's got those fleurs and flourishes, piccolo like trills on bass, chording on top, etc. Writing stuff like that and making it work takes some degree of ability, talent, whathaveyou. I really don't listen to Korn except what I know from the radio, but I can't really see the guy pulling it off (playing it, or writing it).

8. spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    And there you have it - the first Flame Fieldy thread of 2006 :hyper:

Maybe Martinie will get inspired by Fieldy, put aside all his technique and begin to play like Fiedly does? :bag:

Come could happen :meh:

9. ding ding! we have a winner!
  10. basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    fieldy - not many people like him or his playing or the band hes in. So why does he crop up loads?he must be liked to be height of a lot of conversations.

(Just to get this clear there is no way im backing fieldy or any fieldy fans up, IMO i think his playing is sloppy and poor)
  11. jacko spades

jacko spades

Jan 9, 2006
    Central FL
    Ten Years will also be playing with them as well - the bassist has a massive red 'fro - I saw them in Orlando wiht mudvayne, and they are a ton of fun live. I'm betting they'll be the next big think in a year or so.
  12. Since when does anyone care about how good the bassist for a band is in regards to who opens for whom? Korn is EASILY the more established band. Like it or not.
  13. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I agree!

I'm not backing up Fieldy but how many of you Fieldy bashers have been in a popular, touring, multi-platinum band for over ten years?

Thats what I thought.:rollno:
  14. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Popular, touring and multi-platinum just means you appeal to the lowest common denominator :bag:

:D ;) ;)
  15. Just like the beatles.
  16. haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    And that you draw the largest crowd. ie, the most money, the basis of a capitolistic country like the U.S. of A.

Plus, the way I see it, players like Fieldy and Mark Hoppus are essential to the bass playing community. They serve as almost a "gate-way" drug for youngins to start playing bass.

Take me for example, 7 or 8 years ago when I started palying, I though playing Korn made me bad-ass. I do believe I've come along way learning from such bassists as Jason Chancellor, Ryan Martinie, and my latest inspiration, Jean Baudin.
  17. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
  18. yeah right...maybe ryan can take some notes from fieldy.

haha! zing!

anyways, i hate to say it, but ryan sounds like fieldy in fast forward. they both sound clickity clickity clack.

and anyways, who is to say that fieldy is any better or worse than martinie? does speed equal talent? slipknot plays pretty fast, does this make them better? dare i say pile-drivingly better?
  19. haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    It's not so much Ryan's speed that people notice, it's the fact that he is an accomplished jazz player, he is tight as hell with his drummer, and he does stuff that alot of metal bassists can't/won't.

Alot of people's beef is that he is unoriginal, or that he is just following the footsteps of other greats. I think that is a very valid arguement, but in his defense, were any of the greats contending with a screaming, snarling, chugging alt-metal band.

I think he is a beacon for metal bassist's, he is proof that we don't have to play root notes, as has been the trend for the past I don't even know how many years. That is where Ryan's appeal lies.

And that was a pile-drivingly hilareous (sp?) statement there sir.
  20. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Yeah I dare ya! ....and where's Nick when a need him???