Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

so my 400+ came in the mail....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xshawnxearthx, Jul 22, 2005.

1. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    and its awesome. such a beast. couldnt be happier. i justr need to learn how to use all the controls and tweak tweak tweak.

i have a question though. how do i overdrive a tube amp? this is the first one i have owned and i have no idea. i want to make it sound distorted without using the sans amp pedal. if i have to, i will, but id like to try and get that sound without it.

any suggestions?

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Run your pre-amp volumes high and turn your master down low...

3. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    hmmm, i had my volume 2 knob set at like 7-8 and the master at like 1 1/2 and it was really loud.

ill try it again tonight.

maybe i have to wait for the tube to fully break in? the amp is only 2 months old and used once or twice.

i knew the amp was for me when i got the sales slip and it said purchase date 4/20/05

4. Unless you're looking for overdrive from the power section, in which case you just turn up the master until it starts to break up. This sounds quite a bit better than simply overdriving the preamp (IMO), but may not make you any friends with the bandmates :D

5. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    so turn master volume way up, and inputgain/volume 2 down?

6. This will get you louder, not really more overdriven. Most likely it'll be too loud! :bassist:

Turn up the preamp gain too taste; then adjust master to needed volume. That should do the trick of overdriving your amp. Hotter pickups work as well (i.e. you need less preamp gain for the same result).

7. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    word, not hot pickups. i will try the first thing then.

8. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Congratulations!! I'm getting mine next saturday :hyper:

Please post a full report on its awesomeness after you get aquainted with it. :D

9. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    so far its awesomeness is insane.

i plugged in, took me like 25 minutes to get a non overdriven sound that i liked. tweaked a bit more and found part of the sweet spot, but i need a bit more overdrive to get the sound id like. id rather not use the sans amp if i dont have to, but will if i cannot find a happy medium.

the construction is awesome. this bass came in mint condition. it was purhcased on 4/20/05. effing A. i will say this, my guitar player has a mesa mark 4, and my other has a nomad 100, and i crushed both of their amps with no problemo. my guitar player with the mark 4 was very jealous that i got such an amazing deal on it that he now wants to go out and buy another head.

my singer kept telling me to turn down the bass because it was too nmuch at time, which means it will sound awesome in live setting. his wife asked me to thank the guy who sold it to me because she needs broken china like a hole in the head.

i dont know why i ever slept on these amps. this even sounds better then the one i tried at gc. i didnt need my sonic maximizer, or my compressor, or my sans amp to make it sound dope.

once i really decide if this is what i needed, im going to be selling everything else i own.

10. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    oh, the guy i bought it from also sent me everything ti comes with. which included all his sales slips(he spent 1,870. and change for the head, the case, and the eq pedal), a 75 page, full color history lesson from mesa engineering, a pro net price list, the owners manual(which is much different then the downloaded version on mesaboogie.com, my warranty info, all the parts that came with the rack case, all in a nice plastic envelope.

11. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Congrats! I got one yesterday, too! :D

For overdrive, I use pedals. I'm able to get good OD tones with just the amp, but I like being able to switch it on or off. I've been using my V-Twin pedal with much success.

12. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    how did you get the good od without the pedal?

this goes for anyone. ive never had a tube amp. do tubes need to break in? because the amp is brand new....

13. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Basically, I just dime the master and turn up input volume to suit. Mids flat (10), Bass and Treble pulled (both about 3-4). There are other things to do, like using a y-cable to use both inputs, and adding some mids with the graphic EQ.

It's gonna take some tweaking to remember exactly how I had it on my old one, but I'll probably figure it out by tonight. :)

14. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    so i have some more tweaking to do.

the way i had it set up, was mids off on the rotary, bass and treble at about 7-8. using input 2, i had that set at like 8, and the main volume set at 1 1/2

eq, mids were scooper, bass was up, same with treble end. i had the bass pulled, as well as the volume. with the treble pulled, its too nassaly.

15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Keep in mind, if you crank the Gain, but leave the Master down lower, you will be hearing mostly preamp tube distortion, if you keep the Gain lower, but peg the Master, you should be able to get some power amp distortion. Of course, a little bit of both is what sounds best to my ears, but then you are getting pretty dang loud! My 400 gets quite loud, but with only six 6L6's, I can get a nice overdrive without killer my pets. I was planning on swapping the 6L6's for 6550's, but I might leave it as is, so I can get more power tube overdrive.

Tom.

16. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Cool, Let me know when you decide.

I also have a few effects I use to emulate a tube amp sound...which I was contemplating selling to help finance my 400+. One is my sansamp programmable (I love the ability to have 3 preset tones...but i mostly use it to get an svt-ish grind out of my trace). The other is my compressor (aphex punch factory) which I use to keep everything tighter when I'm using the sansamp. hmm...these might be on the chopping block very soon.

I'm keeping my fultone bass-drive, and my woolly mammoth though...I can't wait to hear these through the 400+.

17. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    FYI, I just posted a thread in the effects forum about using a sansamp w/ a tube amp.

18. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    you can take 6 of the tubes out of the head and have it still run properly? i want power amp distortion since tube pre amp distortion doesnt sound as good.

19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have the Bass 400, not the 400+. The 400 was designed to run on six 6550's (which ideally put out about 300w), but can also run six 6L6's (which put out about 150w). The 400+ uses twelve 6L6's (again, about 300w).

Tom.

20. Any pictures? I take it was a normal rack case and not the beast that is the shockmount one!

Good to see your happy with it!

( on a side note, i still use my BDDI with my SVT II, not all the time, but i like to be able to have a sudden change in grit and tone! )

Nice one tho :D