Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

so my band decided they were going to sing through...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The Antipop, May 13, 2004.

1. my ampeg stack. I was away for a few practises and they decided to use it. I found the sound levels inconsistent after using it last night... however I need to change my batteries in the particular bass I was using

can singing through an SVT4 PRO and some 810's damage them?

2. I'd assume unless there were some shockingly loud, high frequencies, it wouldn't do more damage than playing your bass would.

3. rddog

rddog

May 30, 2003
    Park City, UT
    If the singers were off-key it probably po'd your amp and it is rebelling :help:

Ya gotta love it though, z xfmrs and all...

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I agree. I've seen tweeters and horns go POP from feedback squeals, but if the horn is working, then it should be OK.

Gawd that would have sounded awful..............

5. THAT'S why I play with a big rack setup. I've got, like 7 power switches, and I unplug some stuff, so only I know how to turn it on. Next time, just pull a fuse or a tube or take the power cord with you.

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    1. Take a cheap beater bass to the next rehearsal.

2. After a few songs, take off the bass, hold it like a baseball bat, and threaten to smack them over the head with it if they ever touch your gear again.

3. Repeat as necessary.

7. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    That is why if I ever have to leave my rig at a "practice room" for an undisclosed amount of time i always take my rack with me and leave the speakers. I hate to move equipment just as much as the next guy. I have about $1500 invested in my rack/head and $600 in speakers. I feel that if my speakers were stolen or damaged, I could easily cover the cost out-of-pocket to by a new stack or have it reapired. I could use my spare speaker cab until I bought a new main gigging stack. It would be a lot harder to come up with $1500 to replace my rack/head or $2100 for the whole rig if it were damaged or stolen. NTM, that I do not have a spare rack/head at my disposal if mine were damaged/stolen. Next time, just take your head/rack with you. Now you wont have to worry as much as when the band idiot(s) try to use your stuff. Also, I make it just as much of priority to leave with my bass as I do my head/rack. These two pieces are easily mobile and take no time to re-setup.

8. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Unless you are afraid of the being stolen issue, or don't mind taking your amphead with you always, I agree with the hiding/taking the powercord with you. As long as they can't power it up, it's all just a bunch of lifeless stuff. And aside from bashing it into pieces, there is nothing to do with unpowered stuff.

I also like the "too complicated for them" comment. Although I think that some rigs are already complex by default, it does help keep out nosy and bold hands when only YOU know how to hook up all the connections and wires.

Hope your stuff isn't damaged...doubt it, but I know how that feeling of uncertainty is when you got lots of time and money invested into your gear.

-T

9. I think you should beat them senslessly! Then you should ask if it's ok if you can plug your bass into their guitar amps for a while!

Although it probably did no damage I would be mad as hell. In fact I am right now for you.

I am going to take my power cord home from now on.

Damn I'm mad!!!!!

10. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I think that singing through a bass rig could damage your tweeter. I know that playing a g****r through a bass rig can pose a potential threat to a cab's tweeter. I would give your cab(s) a thorough once over and make sure they didnt f**k anything up. Then, I would kick them all in the nuts until blood comes out of their nose. You just dont mess with other people's gear, especially bass players!

11. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    this is the best advice. how incredibly awful that must have sounded. I would have never taken a guitar players gear and run vocals through them---just for fear of damaging something and because it's just wrong to use somebody's set-up when they aren't around. Tell them they owe you a margarita or three. :D

12. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    PLUS a steak/full rack of rib dinner!! :p

To comment on the "to complicated" setup, that could just mean someone would be plugging in the wrong things, causing big problems. Especially if after they find out they're doing something wrong they unplug everything, so you have no idea where to start trouble shooting. :meh:

13. Ampeg once made some guitar amps for the "Manhattan Guitar Club" which was a group of 50 of the top recording guitarists in the New York area also called the "Key Club". Instead of carrying their own amplifiers from studio to studio, the Manhattan Guitar Club purchased amplifiers and placed them in all NYC recording studios. Each member has a key that unlocks the amplifiers, when he reports to a recording sesssion. (circa 1964)
    I've often wondered why this idea never caught on, although it would obviously suck if you ever lost the key. But with todays modern equipment you would be able to input a special code (like some car stereos have) if you lost your key.

14. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    that's a nice idea. putting a little key-lock by the power switch of combo amps would prevent some unwanted abuse if you leave it somewhere for convenience. My guess is that somebody already makes a locking rack case or you could install some type of lock...just never thought about it.

15. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    I don't understand how singing thorugh a bass cab can hurt the tweeter unless it's someone who sounds like Mariah Carey on helium.

I doubt the rig was, or even could be damaged, seeing as how vocal frequencies cover a narrower and higher range than what a bass puts out.

16. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I don't know that vocals per se would damage a tweeter...it's the random, sudden, uncontrolled bursts of feedback that could send a huge power spike through the tweeter and end its useful life.

The cabinet that we're talking about here is an SVT-810E (from Antipop's profile) which is tweeterless (I believe). No damage should have occurred.

The take-home power cord is a good idea...also, if they're technically challenged, you could plug a shorted 1/4 in. plug into the FX return.

However, all that should be necessary is a verbal request to respect your gear and leave it alone without your permission.

17. I think taking home the rack is the best idea. Don't you guys carry a bag or box of stuff with a couple extra power cords in it? I know I have at least 3 in my box of stuff.

With my rack at home, I know its all good, and I can relax with no worries about it.

18. Jaye

Jaye

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I am surprised at the number of people on here that can't trust their bandmates.

I have no problem leaving my gear in our rehearsal studio because I know full well that everyone respects each others gear to the point of not even thinking about touching it without permission. We are all in the same boat with how hard we have worked for the thousands of dollars in gear we own.

If your band dosen't feel the same way, time for a new band IMO.

19. Believe it or not I know a guitarist who used to PLAY guitar through an Ampeg SVT and an 8-10 cab (sometimes with a second 8-10 cab for larger gigs) during the 70's!!!! Talk about LOUD......jesus.....imagine sticking your head into a jet engine and then putting that through a touring PA!!! But this guy was an unbelievable guitarist.....and nobody cared! He was that good!

Bottom line.......there would probably have to have been some kind of mechanical problem for it to damage your gear as mentioned in earlier posts....I wouldn't sweat it that much unless you see consistent, noticeable degradation in your system performance then, just ask, and hope someone fesses up!

T

20. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    All this discussion and speculation.... but Antipop has yet to reply about the bass and the weak battery. For all we know, Antipop has popped in... err, i mean, put in a new battery and has forgotten about this post. =P