1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So my band is going Gospel... need a name

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bassfootballguy, Aug 4, 2007.

1. bassfootballguy

bassfootballguy Spectacularly Average Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    A small, small town
    I've been a Christian slightly longer than I've been a bassist (25 years) but a few weeks ago I decided that it was time to quit playing clubs and such and began looking for a way to tell my bandmates.
    Well, the next week our lead singer/lead guitarist had a conversion experience and all at once he and the drummer both started coming to church.
    So, we just decided to go Gospel.
    Not southern gospel or even contemporary gospel, but we want to do something different and meaningful. It is full circle for me since I started out playing bass in church so it is a good thing.
    We need suggestions on a name, on songs and of course we need prayers...
    We're more blues influenced, well-versed in material like Gov't Mule, Allman Bros., Southern Culture on the Skids, Black Crowes, etc.
    So, musically we want to continue in that vein, but we have a fantastic harmony component to our music, too, so we have to infuse that more here.
    Anyway, so for the long post and give us a prayer please.

James

2. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    Nothing wrong with that.

Names? Something symbolic, like "Shield & Sword." Heck, I don't know, it just came from the top of my head.

Hey, "Master Plan". That's pretty good, no?

3. double-muff

double-muff

May 5, 2007
    Iceland.
    Ominus das Immet.

4. jruffinsr

jruffinsr

Aug 5, 2007
    James-

Hello, I congratulate and acknowledge your decision. Anytime you take a stand for something whatever it is and "act" upon it. It is a good thing.

Remember, Christ was among the people he did not confine himself to the synagogue. Remember, it is your relationship with Christ that makes the difference not the genre of music. The question is, what is the impact and intent that you want to achieve when you play your music. It is the intent of the heart and the path that you try to lead people down that is important.

In regards to the name of our band, seek God's face. Let the name reflect the true essence of your mission and purpose.

I was the co-founder of a two gospel/fusion bands and we selected names such as ("Airo", "Latitude") which spoke to spirit of the band.

God bless and good luck!

5. jruffinsr

jruffinsr

Aug 5, 2007
    James-

Hello, I congratulate and acknowledge your decision. Anytime you take a stand for something whatever it is and "act" upon it. It is a good thing.

Remember, Christ was among the people he did not confine himself to the synagogue. Remember, it is your relationship with Christ that makes the difference not the genre of music. The question is, what is the impact and intent that you want to achieve when you play your music. It is the intent of the heart and the path that you try to lead people down that is important.

In regards to the name of our band, seek God's face. Let the name reflect the true essence of your mission and purpose.

I was the co-founder of a two gospel/fusion bands and we selected names such as ("Airo", "Latitude") which spoke to spirit of the band.

God bless and good luck!

6. scootron

scootron

Jul 17, 2007
    Moved to Texas
    Our classic rock band shared a bill recently with a Christian rock band (not implying that we were not Christians...our drummer is actually a minister). Their name was "Fire In Salem", which I thought was sort of cool. They had a great sound. The one thing about them that turned the crowd off though...it was an outdoor festival, and the crowd expected to be entertained. Their music was great, and had a great message, but instead of 3-5 minute songs with discernible beginnings and ends, they had their material (all original and very good in my opinion) blended into one 50-minute piece like you might find in a contemporary praise service...no breaks, or even real pauses. The audience having never heard the material, never knew if or when to applaud, and grew frustrated. Audiences like to applaud. It gives them a way to participate in the show. I heard many people say afterwards "I wish they would have played some songs". I don't think they had a problem with the fact that their material was original, but with the format.

Sorry this isn't directly on point, but thought it should be shared.

As for name, I think I would go with something that has a biblical connotation, but nothing that just jumps out at you. Not saying to hide who or what you are, just to add a little subtlety or mystery to the name. Sort of like the Rolling Stones...you didn't know they were a blues based band, unless you knew your Muddy Waters.

7. bassfootballguy

Apr 2, 2007
    A small, small town
    Thanks for the input so far...

jruffinsr, we definitely don't intend to "confine to the synagogue" and you are right that the purpose and path have to be directed by God and that is what matters.
    Keep us in your prayers!

James

8. csala

csala

Aug 14, 2005
    Santa Monica, Ca
    White Sabbath?

9. bassfootballguy

Apr 2, 2007
    A small, small town
    Hmmm... probably not.

10. zeppelinfreak

zeppelinfreak

Mar 29, 2007
    How about Faith Plus 1 >_>

11. toaster2k3

toaster2k3

May 21, 2007
    The Ephesians.
    12 Apostles
    The Walls of Jericho
    Empty Sepulchre

12. I guess Southern Cross wouldn't work.....:bag: .....I am not religious but I got some ideas.

One Way Out

Steeplefire

Heck you even mentioned Full Circle in your post.(they are band out of MN)

Just make it personal.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'll give you the obvious: "The God Squad."

14. If you're going to be playing in non-Christian environments and want to keep bringing people out, don't be too blatant or silly with the religious theme in the name. Oteil and the Peacemakers is a perfect example of a Christian-themed band w/o a glaringly Christian name. And stay away from the cheesy 80's Christian metal type names - Whitecross, Barren Cross, and Sacred Warrior all come to mind. Bride was pretty cool though.

15. bassfootballguy

Apr 2, 2007
    A small, small town
    Right on Brad. We're definitely not wanting a cheesy in-your-face name.
    We're still working on it.

James

16. funkybassplayer

funkybassplayer Commercial User

Sep 16, 2003
    Longview, TX
    Nordstrand Audio, Epifani
    How about Elephant's Gerald or The White Icing Hour.

17. funkybassplayer

funkybassplayer Commercial User

Sep 16, 2003
    Longview, TX
    Nordstrand Audio, Epifani
    ooo and Vehicles of Grace. this one has no hidden name

18. Wow, that is such a great story. I think it's amazing how God worked that out, for Him to change the hearts of your band mates so you guys keep playing together is incredible. Best of luck with the band. Let me know if you ever play in the Baltimore area and I'll come and check you guys out.

This post touched home with me because I have also been thinking about quitting the blues band that I am currently playing in and forming some kind of group playing Christian music and the type of band you describe is just what I would like to start, something rock/bluesy not too hard but not wimpy like a lot of the Christian music that I hear. The issue is finding people who can really play and want to start something like that. (not that I've really looked all that hard) But it seems to me that when you committed your heart to it and you were ready to go and quit the band, that He provided the answer for you.

Maybe I just need to go for it and take a leap of faith and trust that He will provide what I need?

19. oops - got so busy with my thoughts in the last post that I forgot to post some name suggestions.

How about...
    Change of Heart
    Leap of Faith
    Trust
    Sons of Samuel
    (check out 1 Chronicles 6 around verse 29 or 30 for the explanation for this one)

20. The Walls of Jericho is already being used by a hardcore band. I'm pretty sure they aren't Christian.