so my band is going in to record next month.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by xshawnxearthx, Feb 14, 2005.

1. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    at a pretty pro studio. good gear, the whole nine.

im wondering this. last time i played through my rig, but i hear a lot of people talk about going into a direct from a pre amp.

what do you guys think is better? i have pretty good gear so.
  2. I know when we were messing with recording gear during practice once I ran my head straight into the recording gear instead of putting a mic on the cab and it ran hotter, but was a lot more clean.
  3. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i'm debating just running my mia p-bass thru a sans amp pedal, the go direct to the board. but i dont know. i dont want to sit around in the studio and cost the band money just to see if something will sound better.

also, i'll prolly just do both, then take the better of the two signals, or maybe blend both.
  4. bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    That's what I've always done! :)
  5. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Try experimenting with 2 channels - DI from your bass, and your cab mic'd.

Also see how it sounds with all your treble and high-mids taken from the mic, and all your bass and low-mids taken from the DI. This should help provide low end clarity/accurate lows without the harsh topend the DI often produces. Plus, you can dial in your tone on the amp.
  6. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Some really good advice here so far.

Recording with a real amp/cab setup is always a good route to go. Modellers are good, but not quite as good as the real thing. The general rule of thumb, even today with all the technology that is available now, is still to record two tracks of bass at the very least: One DI from the bass guitar, and the other mic'ed cab. You said you have good gear? Then don't be afraid to use it. Don't worry too much about taking too much time getting your tones in the studio. I bet you'll find something totally useable fairly quickly, especially if you are dealing with an engineer/producer who really knows their stuff.

You may want to also experiment with dialing in a bit of overdrive from the amp. It doesn't have to be much. I don't know what kind of music your band plays, but a hint of overdrive on the amp channel helps the bass track to really "sit" in the mix. Even if you're recording a pretty clean, non-agressive song. I've been recording in studios for over 20 years, and this is one of the best tricks there is to let a bass track shine.

Good luck with the sessions, and enjoy yourself.
  7. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Another trick I've used in the studio is positioning a condensor mic in the booth with me and aiming it at my bass. This picks up some of the pick/finger nose as well as the sound of my fingers sliding across the strings. When mixed back in very lightly it makes the bass track sound a tad more alive as opposed to the very sterile pure amp/DI track.