Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So my bandsaw blew up....

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by PasdaBeer, Jan 30, 2005.

1. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    So last night, my 10$ 12" bandsaw blew up on me....great..just what i needed with my first complete bass for a customer is coming into the building stage.

so what to do now..........a nice jig saw ( since i am moving and turning my shop space into 1/16th the size it it now) or a new, hopefully compact band saw!

comments please......unfortuantly i have verrrrrrrrrrry low funds.

2. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    Borrow/rent someone else's until you can afford something decent. You can't throw a stone 10 feet without hitting a woodworker/luthier in Northern California.

3. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    +1 on that.

People are always offering to let me use their shop if ever need to. Just don't be afraid to ask.

4. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    i thought about that, but unfortunatly, the only time i have to work is between 10pm and 5 am........dont ask.

so far my only idea is sticking with sandwich bodied basses, and using my cheapo jig saw to cut the lams close togather, glue up, then my router to do all the clean up work...

i know what you mean by all the luthiers in nor cal, 99% are super stuck up and wont even let you into there shop, let alone there tools.

5. If you don't mind squaring the edges after shaping, a jigsaw is good ...just don't buy that big yellow brand one. it really, really sucks. Get the green or grey brand, they cut a lot straighter that the yellow one.

6. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    How about an orange one? I've got a great orange jig saw :smug:

7. schuyler

schuyler

Aug 5, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    sorry to hear about the bandsaw, pasdabeer. i'd let you use my shop, but i'm across the country. you don't say what's wrong with the saw... can you repair it? good motors can be had cheap at the junkyard!

if you paint a yellow jigsaw green, does it cut better? any performance advantages to mauve or fuschia?

8. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    The bandsaw cost me 10$ at a garage sale, its a rip off of a old craftsman 62" three wheel design...it worked decently up to about 2" thick ash.

Its better for me just to move on to a better saw than try to repair this one...what actually happened is the drive wheel basicaly melted off the shaft, and reglueing it would completely throw the saw off balance....