Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So My Computer Gave Up On Me

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    My 4 and a half year old Quantex has gone through hell and back with me, and it's got the poor functionality to show for it. Last night, it froze up again, and Ctl Alt Del wasn't working, so I hit the main power switch in the back to turn it off. Well, it didn't want to turn back on. Still doesn't. I hooked up my wife's PC to my monitor and such and I'm running on that now. Has this happened to anyone before? I'll be taking it to a repair shop sometime this or next week, but I was wondering if anyone knew what it could be.

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Have you got it plugged in?

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    :mad:
    Haven't you got some crocs to wrestle or some massive cans of beer to drink? :D Yeah, checked that, tried plugging it into different outlets, opened up the chasis only to realize, "hey, I don't know what the hell any of this is-why did I open up the chasis?".....

4. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    :D

5. reformat your hard disk and reinstall windows (if that's what you're running). preferably windows 2000.

6. I think his problem is that when he turns the box on, it doesn't get to POST, let alone OS load. So reformatting/reinstalling would serve no purpose.

Does the fan turn on when you power the machine up? If it doesn't I'd suspect your power supply has bought the farm.

'Course if you don't know what any of that stuff is anyway, you should probably just bring your box to your local chop shop and see if it's worth fixing.

7. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
  8. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    What happens when you try to restart it, anything? The fact that it locked up is nothing terribly unusual (for a Windows crash box) but the fact that it won't restart would certainly indicate a hardware problem. Sometimes a hard drive will die slowly - frequent crashes and then, finally, boom; can you boot to a floppy?

You know, I switched to a Mac several months ago. The reliability is no hype. It's true and really quite remarkable. In 7 months, I've had just ONE lockup (because I tried to interrupt an Apple software update) other than that... smoothe sailing.

9. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    No, I can't reboot-it won't turn on at all, so I'm sure it's a hardware issue. I'll see if it can be salvaged when I take it to a shop.

Oh, and Jean, thanks :rolleyes: :D :D

10. Please, for the love of god get a new PC ASAP. Four years is just TOO long. Unless you have been updating it....

11. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    If by updating it you mean adding new food stains to it on a daily basis, then yeah, it's updated.

12. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Sounds like the experience I had with Windows 2000 on my PC. I think it crashed on me three times over the course of three years. Seeing that I used my computer for on average several hours daily, and played a lot of games, that's pretty good.

Then I changed to XP, more or less because I had to. Took four hours before I had my first BSOD experience. :scowl:

My brother surfs on an old Windows 95 computer, bought in 1997. It's still working. It all depends on what you need.

13. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I think the problem is that it doesn't have an apple logo on it.

Buy a computer with an Apple logo on it.

14. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    What type/speed is the processor?

15. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Just was watching an article about one in a magazine. Daymn is it a bewdy! I think I need to go working instead of studying, so I can buy one.. :meh:

16. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    Could be power supply or motherboard. My computer started resetting at random after 4 years of solid performance. Something on the motherbaord was going out.

17. Yes, buy a mac. Sure you'll only have 1/100000th of the software to choose from, but osX has been show to be .000001% more reliable than Windows XP, PLUS your nerd quotient will skyrocket. So there you go :)

18. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It's an Intel Celeron, forgot the model. And I'd probably be happy with an Apple-anyone want to give me one? I had a Powerbook 160 (I think) back in the early 90's, and it almost never froze up.

19. By not starting back up its telling you "No, no more abuse! I'm finished with you! No more stains!!" - So in other words, time to go shopping :)