so my DPCustom has arrived!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Reverend G-Money, Dec 3, 2001.

1. just thought i'd slap a review on here for everybody.. check the photo if ya want... i had dave make me a custom to my specs. zebrawood/walnut/zebrawood body, maple/walnut/maple neck, passive MM/J bartolini's custom shape, ...blah blah blah.. see the photo. the construction is very well done. the neck is super-straight and solid. the body is well-contoured and upper fret access is not a problem. i play through a SansAmp Bass driver into my SWR bass 350 and i was able to get some of the clearest bass tones i've heard. the resonance and sustain is just amazing. the B string is clear with no muddyness down the fretboard. i have found no dead spots, and the fret work is excellent. i am gonna have dave build me another bass soon, and my guitar player has already inquired about a guitar built... i could flap about this for days, but i will post a soundclip on my band's website after this weekend's gig and let you hear for yourself. if you are intirested, .. thanks for your time..
  2. So how does it balance? I know that was one thing you were a little worried about.

Otherwise, sounds like a real winner! congrats!
  3. the photo doesn't do the bass justice. it is PERFECTLY balanced, and the weight is a little more than my Fender, but not by much. i'm really in awe still, so i can't give a clear judgement. the woods, the pickups, the sound. i mean it is so comparable or better than some really high end basses i've played. i'm more about sound over looks, but the layout is really cool. the photo doesn't show the matching zebrawood headstock cap i had added. the fretboard dots give a unique feel when layed out like this. i know it's cosmetic, but it really feels cool to play. my fingers tend to play around the curve of the dots in whatever key i'm in.. (am i wierd or what??) .... i will post photos on my band's site after this weekend, and you'll see how it actually fits well on me..
  4. man, thats so cool... I can't wait till mines done. AAAHHHGGG!!!

I know you said before that the pickup placement wasn't exactly how you wanted it, how do you like it now that you have it? I mean can you get your fingers under there between the fretboard and neck pup to pop?

how was the shipping, like how it was packaged?
    how's that zebrawood look in person? I've only seen photos of it, and that was enough for me to order it on mine.
    did you get the tung oil finish?
  5. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    The wood looks beautiful, but the body looks fat;)
  6. to chump stain: dave's standard finish is the Tung oil.. it's really nice. it's kinda tight near the neck, and being a lifelong fender jazz player, i'm used to having more room.. but it actually helps me to get more precise in my pops. i really only use slapping/popping as accent with a few breaks here and there. the position of the neck pickup is perfect for throbby dubby tones. nice and fat. the B string is CLEAR!!! my guitarist uses different tunings and i don't have to retune in order to keep up. the photos do not do this bass justice. the size is perfect, the weight, balance, everything about it. dave is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED by me. i really just saved myself at least $1200-$1500 on a bass, and it's made to MY specs. not made how "joe manufacturer" wants them made..
  7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

That is so true !!! Photos of completed basses are free ad dollars for luthiers. Why not have great photos??? It's more valuable promo than any website.

Still, I know what zebrano can look like and what Dave selected for you is simply as fine as I've seen!

Anyway, it's the sound that counts and I'm glad you seem happy with it. Hope the playability is all you wanted, too.
  8. DP Custom

DP Custom DP Custom Basses

Feb 7, 2001
    NC, USA
    if I may add my 2¢ worth...

From the selection of woods and pickups to the shape of the body, Gus designed a great bass. It was a pleasure working on it and building it for him.

Well done Gus!:D

Dave p.
  9. RhiudeaN

Dec 5, 2001
    hello all, my name is Asher. I am the guitar player for gus's band "ir"
    I have seen this bass is real life.
    As a 14 year veteran of guitar as well as various other stringed instruments. And as a musician who has had 4 custom intruments built, i believe i can give a qualified, unedited, honest opinion.

That bass rocks!! the picture does it NO justice.
    in the picture it LOOKS fat. but it's not.
    the body is smaller than i expected when i first looked at it. the woodwork is top notch. The body contours are smooth and nicely rounded. The fretboard is extremely snappy.
    enough about looks. gusto is up against a 100w mesa boogie trem-o-verb and a marshall jcm900.
    and his tone is CLEAR AS A BELL. the type of jazz tone you expect from dynamic musical environments, in the midst of a hard rock avalanche. I am so impressed with dave p's work that i am getting my dream guitar built. And I KNOW he's the man for the job.
    get yours while you can guys.
    NO ONE will give you as good of a deal for the quality.
    have fun!!
  10. hey fukingus,
    when you get your next one, are you getting the same shape?
    it could be like your "signature shape". :D
  11. you know, i was thinking about that.. maybe a slight variation in the contour though. i'm really stoked at how this thing sounds. the clarity is just unreal. i would highly recommend having dave build an instrument.

yo dave, thanks for the comment. it means so much more to me that not only am i stoked, but that you had the pleasure to build it. it's a good feeling to know it wasn't "just another bass"....
  12. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Someday I'll have the patience to do this. Nice work DP.
  13. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    The wood looks awesome, but the bass is UGLY.... sorry I don´t like it.......

But, if it works for you ...congrats man!!!!!
  14. yeah, I hope while Dave's building mine he's not thinking it's "just another bass". cause, I got mine kinda plain (not plain to me).
    I mean, I just went with his standard shape. I didn't want to mess it up. I came up with a few different ideas for a shape, which seemed cool at the time, but I wasn't sure if I would still like them down the road.
    and for the woods I didn't go too exotic, just kinda the "old faithfull" approach.
    for some it might seem kinda plain but for me its perfect. I didn't want it to be too flashy, and with the woods I choose it should have a nice solid tone... I can't wait :D
  15. I have to say, the body is a little on the chunky side but hey what ever turns you on.
  16. I'm sure Dave will give your instrument his best effort. I have been very pleased with the level of service, professionalism and skill Dave has shown my project.

I bet you're in for a great bass!

17. in response to the "fatness" of the body, it really isn't. i matched it to my fender jazz V and it's really just about the same width at the widest point. the photo really doesn't show the body size very well. i think the grain of the zebrawood is deceiving. the body is not as big as my Fender. i know that doesn't seem correct by the photo, but it really isn't that big. it's swimming in the gig bag that it came with. i did some amp twiddling last night and ran my SansAmp Bass Driver through the active input of my SWR. I was able to add more of the amp's power to the SansAmp's boost without overdriving the SWR's preamp.... i was getting some sick tones.... aaagghhh (drooling...)
  18. Jeff Rader,
    how long do you think untill yours is done? seems to be very close.
    what are the specs, as far as hardware and electronics?
  19. Here are the specs I sent to Dave. Not much changed since I sent these in. We've run into a few situations that involved some discussion back and forth, but I feel Dave has done a great job finding the best solution. It'a all documented in the photoalbum (the link is in my sig).

I'm not sure when I'll be getting it. I don't ask - Dave don't tell! ;)

6 string fretted
    Neckthru with a full top and back

24 frets
    35" scale
    Maple/wenge 5 piece neck.
    Slanted "D" shape (narrower towards the B string and tapers/thickens as you get closer to the higher strings)
    Birdseye maple fretboard
    Black position dots on the fretboard face
    Side position markers
    Headstock is a 2+4 design with extended B and E
    Buckeye burl laminated headstock
    Lightweight tuners (black)
    GraphTek 6 nut (2 1/16" wide)
    Neck thickness: 0.8 - 0.85" (as thin as practical)
    Medium fretwire
    Low action for fingerstyle playing

Body design
    3-piece body:
    Body top is buckeye burl (I'll supply)
    Center is mahogany
    Back is claro walnut (regular figure, not burl)
    Full bookmatched top and back (not "wings")
    ABM bridge (black)
    Burl or ebony knobs slightly recessed into the body
    Knob layout attached
    Bartolini PUs (quad coil)
    3 band EQ
    Volume and blend
    Individual controls (no stacked knobs)
    Volume and blend knobs are larger than EQ knobs (as in picture)
    Passive/active switch
    Single coil/multi switch
    3-way switch
    Dunlop Straplocs (Black)
    Control cavity cover to be cut from the claro walnut.
    Batteries to be set in the control cavity.
    If possible, control cavity cover slides in and stays in place with a magnet or something else undetectable. If not practical, black screws are used.
    Upper right arm body bevel
    Rear body contour
    Strings: DR HiBeams (if possible)

20. WOW~ that zerbra wood is beee-utaful. That has now become my favorite wood in the whole wide world. Congratulations!