Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So my keyboard stand snapped...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tplyons, May 26, 2005.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    So my keyboard stand snapped and boy am I ticked off. Why? Because when I bought it, I called Jim Laabs music to be assured that it would support the weight of my Korg SG-1D and my Yamaha DX-7. It did for a while, then the locking mechanism snapped and my keyboards crashed to the ground sideways pulling plugs all over the place, and killing my favorite Korg.

Why do I love the Korg? It's heavy as hell, but it sounds so darn good, the thing I thought was built like tank and discontinued years ago by Korg who doesn't even remember making them nor have access to a manual. The things sell for nearly a grand on eBay and cost almost that to ship due to weight, so it's nearly irreplaceable. It's got actual weighted action, not simulated and felt more like a piano than a lot of cheaper pianos I've played. Two acoustic piano sounds modeled after Steinways, two electric piano sounds modeled after Fender Rhodes. There was also a memory card slot that let me add acoustic bass and other great sounds.

So the damn thing doesn't work any more, it hit the ground pretty hard, and it no longer powers on. Dunno why, but I'm still checking that out. Stressed the power receptacle, the output jack as well as the sustain pedal jack. Broke one of my cables falling, and even though the DX survived, I'm very very p*$#%& off. What should I do? I'm going to call Jim Laabs music tomorrow and request some sort of compensation, replacement, refund or something of the like because their brand of stand snapped and destroyed a priceless piece of gear to me.

I think I'm going to look into getting the Korg repaired, but it's probably out of my price range. There's no external visible damage, but hey, it's full of tiny electronic gismos.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well, good news and bad news. The Korg works! So happy! However, it turns out that the fall yanked the power cord the wrong way and damaged it, so I happened to have an identical power cord floating around, plugged it in and it worked. Outputs are a little touchy for understandable reasons but the thing IS built like a tank.

Still going to contact Jim Laabs music for assuring me that an inferior stand would support my gear. It's not like it even fell while I was playing it, it crashed sometime today, completely unwitnessed, but I came downstairs to see my keyboards in a pile.

I want a refund for my original stand, plus money for the power cord and the instrument cable that were all broken. Do you think this is too much to ask?

3. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Wow, that's harsh man. As far as asking for compensation, refunding the stand is a must if you ask me, but I really wouldn't be surprised if they don't do anything beyond that, even if you ask, but it never hurts to try. Threatening to raise a stink might get 'em to see things your way though :)

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    That's what I'm going for. It wouldn't bother me if they said the stand MIGHT support the weight, but they said it definately would and more. I gave them the numbers, weighed each board, and they said no problemo. Shouldn't believe them for a minute. Now I gotta buy a new stand.

5. Wow, I'm so glad to have read post #2! Good to hear that your Korg is OK.

I don't think they will compensate you for anything but the stand, but just make them aware that you will inform all your musician friends not to deal with them.