Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So... my mom's car.... just broke.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike Money, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Which sucks, cause now I don't have anything to drive cause my truck is broken too. gah. I'm not worried about my truck.... its running fine, the check engine light just decided to come on.

My mom's car is what is irking me.

I was pulling out of my neighborhood, and it is one of those streets that you can be sitting at for a few minutes trying to pull onto...

I decided to go, so I wouldn't have to sit there for 5 minutes. I gunned it a little, and made it onto the street just fine.

At the stop light, I was turning left. My turn came, I let off the brake, gave it gas... and it wouldn't move. like it was stuck in neutral or something.

I got out of the car, and the tranny fluid had spilled all over the street.

Bad hose? what?

2. Where did it come out of? That might help narrow what could of caused it all to spill.

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    It was smoking a little...

i didn't even drive it a mile before i stopped.......... gah.

:(

4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Hmmm, sounds like $cha-ching$ type car repair.

Before you do anything else, get some chocolate donuts and a glass of milk and start eatin'.

5. Hey Mike.

Well, that stinks to high heaven.

What kind of car? Front wheel drive? How many miles?

Sounds like you smoked mama's tranny pretty good. :p

You had it in drive, stepped on the gas, and it didn't go? But the motor reved up right.

Sound to me like the trany was slipping. Once that starts to happen it is pretty much toast.

Unless, you lost the fluid first.

Could be a couple of things. There are a couple of cooler lines that run to the radiator. If one of them let go you would loose fluid pretty quickly and the trany would not want to move. Another guess would be the front pump or torque converter seal.

In either case. Don't drive it, you should have pulled over at the closest spot.

How did Mom take it?

6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California

The car was fine up until I stopped. When I tried to go again, it wouldn't go.

Mom doesn't know... My step dad doesn't care. It was one of those things that was gonna happen, i guess. He's just glad they drove his truck to AZ instead of the car... which is a 90somethin buick lesabre

7. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    You probably have a leaky tranny cooler line. Very common on those cars.

8. I'll have to go with my second guess then. Usually when a tranny is going bad it will slip often before it just gets up and die's on you, and usually will not just dump out all the fluid unless you were beating on it pretty hard, and from what I know, Your a good boy, you wouldn't beat on your mothers car......right? You know, mom, the one who carried you in her womb for nine month. :D

Your right, something like that just doesn't happen. It was on it's way out and you were the lucky one. Good thing it was you and not your mom on her way to Arizona.

91 and up (I think) Lesbres are FWD.

Your Truck,
    If your truck is running fine, not skipping or stalling, you should be able to drive it. There are quite a few things that will make the light come on. Sometimes it is something as simple as a loose gas cap. Sometimes it just may need a tune up, a miss-fire will make the light come on too.

General rule of thumb is, if it is driving okay, you should be able to drive it. Don't take it on a long run just in case it starts to act up. After a few drive cycles it may go off, if not, have it checked out when the light is still on.

9. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    probably just has a leak If it wasn't slipping before hand. Hopefulley you'll just have to find the leak patch er up fill it up and it'll work fine.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Mike, you're not supposed to gun the engine with the car in gear and the brake on.

11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

A car sniper?

12. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    coolant hose.