Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So my neck pup won't work...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Plain Old Me, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I have a Traben Phoenix 5 (it has been giving me issues lately... first the nut and now this but I just love the sound...) and the neck pup doesn't work. I opened up the bass and found that a wire was disconnected from the blend pot. I held it on sevral locations which I can solder to, and on each one I got some hum and buzz. Is this normal when the connection is not soldered? Here are some pics... Any help on where to solder would be appreciated. Maybe I should just go for a new onboard pre all together? If you think I should, what would you recommend? It must have a 3 band EQ, volume, and pup blend, as i reallllly hate leaving holes in my bass :p
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. take it to a guitar tech...he'll have it fixed inside 20 minutes for about $20

those two photographs don't help me at all at what to do as I don't have traben and that blend control is unfamiliar to me.

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I would, but its just so simple of a fix. Might as well save $20 and do it myself.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

pup leads typically connects to blend center lug. With one being connected, that leaves one option. Solder it there and check results. Even if it's wrong, you won't damage anything. As always after a repair, just keep the amp volume low till you verify function.