So my neighbor got burglarized

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mon Rominee, Jun 29, 2005.

1. And I saw the idiot jumping the privacy fence into my yard. I had just gotten home and had just taken off my shoes (it was raining heavily and they were soaked) when this guy jumped into the yard. So, I bolt out into my yard in my sockes, but he was too fast for me (my yard borders a man-made hill for a traintrack, all thick brush, with a 3 foot stone retaining wall before the hill)

Anyway, as soon as I spotted him and before he jumped up the wall to go uphill, I started yelling and startled him, making him drop a cig from his lip and some of the goods he swiped. He didn't stop, and on the way up, slipped and dropped even more stuff (all of it x-box games, 12 in all) ...he slipped and fumbled up the hill, but quickly obscured from sight, but I saw a decent enough look to kinda describe him, which I did to the cops I called. Funny thing, 11 of the games he dropped going up the hill, and he lost both of his slip-on sandals. Too funny.

So the cops come down, ask a bunch of stuff, search the area, secure the goods, collect the cigarrette in an evidence bag (it was still smoking) his sandals, and had the bloodhound sniff the area.

When they came back around after the search, they confirmed it was a B&E case...and had a good idea of who it was, considering the area and the partial description (I didn't see his face, so a positive ID was outta the question, but I think I did ok) and I think the dog tracked the scent (easier to do with no shoes on, eh?)

The only thing is, I know nothing about this kid other than he obviously has a rap sheet...

I just fear I might wake up one day the victim of vandalism or come home to some sorta repercussin against me from this person, since it was obvious who was going after him (my whole property is fenced, except for the hill part, which is its own fence, really)

So, what do I do? What're my rights in this if my car tires are cut, or my car keyed or my window broken, or worse? I can only imagine, but I'm no vigilante...but honestly, I won't sit still for inaction if something does happen, just for being a good samaritan.

2. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Don't be a good samaritan, and carry a gun. He probably won't come back though.
  3. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    +1, You can look up the Glock .40 thread to get all the info you need on firearms selection. And I have no idea what MA. carry laws are, I doubt they are "liberal" in the non political since of the word.
  4. +1

They should be able to get dna off the cigarette. Just a matter of finding him. If they think they know who, they can get him, then confirm with the cigarette. Good chance he won't be out long enough to cause you trouble. They don't need your testimony with the DNA, so he's got no reason to scare you into keeping quiet.

Lots of states require you to be in fear of your life before shooting burglars, some even require you to try to escape before confronting them as last resort. I doubt they get too worried about it normally. Unless you shoot him in the back in the yard a couple dozen times you should be ok. Once or twice in the house is reasonable. Just don't go crazy on the guy, petty larceny doesn't carry the death penalty, you can't shoot him for general purposes if he sneaks into your yard.

5. Ok but this guy entered my property, broke part of the fence I erected to keep people off my property, and I'n NOT supposed to call the police?

Sorry, but I won't be carrying a firearm...I simply cannot bring myself to have one around my children at this time (they are too young, and I don't want a horrible statistical incident) I simply can't stand sitting by letting a-holes get away with ruining other people's lives, no matter how petty the I called the cops. That's supposed to be the right thing to do, no?!?

Another thing, and maybe my pal Cheesewhiz can answer this: why is it when the officer was takingdown my personal info did he ask for my Wife & I social security #'s?
  6. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Mon....we ask for SSNs as a means of ID. For example, if there are 42 "John Smiths" in our record system, we can tell 'em apart by SSN. However, you ARE NOT required to give that information if you aren't comfortable with it. Name and date of birth suffice.

As far as DNA, that works on CSI and on murder and rape cases, but DNA testing is EXPENSIVE. In the real worlds, departments don't have an extra 4 grand laying around to spend on a B and E case where almost all the property was recovered.
  7. Dude, he ain't comin' back. You're one creepy lookin' dude.

(really, there's a CD burning right now... in my nice clean basement.)
  8. Cheez, thanks fer the info, that is what I figured, but just wanted to ask.

GoldenBro, you ain't kiddin...I just shaved my head I'm a creepy lookin pseudo-mental patient lookalike.

Um, I mean, Hey! Who you callin creepy lookin?

And, I cannot wait to hear that CD. Mmmmmm. music. Me rikey.
  9. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Isn't it "burgled?"

brad cook
  10. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Don't waste your time worrying about him coming back. Just do what you can to secure your property and forget the rest. It is not worth the anxiety.
    I walked out my front door one morning and my car was no longer parked in my driveway. I remember the violated feeling I had and how I wondered it this was just the begining of more to come. I realized that worrying wasn't going to help so I did what I could to better sucure my property, and forgot the rest. Once in a while I wonder if I am going to come home and find my house robbed. When I find myself thinking these things I ask myself if there is anything that I can do? The answer is no, I have done all that is within my means and I tell myself not to worry. ;)
  11. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Or "burglarized?"

I'm pretty sure it's not "burglared."

brad cook
  12. robble robble robble...
  13. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Jesus. Yeah shoot that guy who sold 12 xbox games. The only possible solution it to get a big gun to kill that leftie punk. That'll show him :rollno:

He's not coming back.

Be a good samaritain. That's what witness protection is for. You cant all sit in your Ivory Towers and complain about crime, and then when you have the opportunity to do something run away for fear of repercussions.
  14. Probably, and peave is actually "peeve".

Sorry to ruin your reading experience. ;)
  15. I really appreciate that, that's pretty much how I operate...thanks.

I am going to buy some deadbolts, and I am going to buy a motion-sensor for my floodlight... small change. I'm insured, and have everything logged (serial #'s, accurate descriptions, etc.) I am waay more concerned, on the whole, for my family more than posessions. It's just a knifed tire ends up being a temporary nuisance, yes?
  16. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

i don't know alot about witness protection , but i think Toasted and
    seansbrew are right ...
    living in fear is no life at all .

more than likely the guy will not come back , but i think checking your
    personal spaces is a good idea ...

good luck and best wishes .
  17. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    if you don't want to get a Glock or any other firearm - get a dawg....

18. One thing to consider is to mount a video camera(s) around your residence. If you are concerned about your vehicles point it there.
    Most everyone has one nowadays and it doesnt have to be 'video surveillance equipment'. If you have a camcorder, handycam, etc. use that on extended play. Never know what you'll catch on tape.
    Chances are he probably want come back, but the weather man says it is not supposed to rain today either.!?!?!
  19. I got one dude, looks like yours, only all brindle colored. Oh, he was out and ready last nite.
  20. I thought about this. Than-Q!