Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So, my phone has packed up

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Oct 22, 2004.

1. OK, I dropped my phone. stupid I know, but accidents happen. Now it's packed up.......is it possible for me to get a new phone on the same network as my old phone, and swap the SIM cards? Otherwise, I'm up stuffed.... :crying:

2. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    How old was it?

You might want to check whether you had it insured or whether it's under warranty.

Another tactic is to take it back where you bought it and ask for a replacement. Check "The Sale of Goods Act 1979" http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/facts/salegoodsact.htm... it may be that you're covered under that.

Is it obvious that you dropped it? Not that I would condone suggesting otherwise to mobile phone retailers, upstanding pillers of society that they are.

3. Lol, I got it from Asda about a year and a half ago....it was a bit pointless really, it offered all these things, such as being able to put MP3s and stuff into it, well it never worked, not once, so I was stuck with a colour phone, with nothing to put on it....I may aswell have stuck with my Siemens C35i....that's no longer by BT cellnet, as it hasn't been used for months....what can i do?

4. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Try your new sim in the siemens.

5. I have, it rejects it...

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Use it for target practice with your airgun? ;)

7. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Take the broken one back and ask them to fix it... "them" being Asda, they should be pretty agreeable to replacing it.

8. What do I tell them? I can;t say I dropped it...then it looks like it's my fault!

9. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    The most likely way you'll get a replacement is if you're polite and smile while you tell them it's stopped working and you don't know why.

I personally wouldn't do that, nor would I condone anyone else doing it. It's not particularly honest and I'm, of course, a paragon of virtue.

10. Phones are often locked to the original supplier's network, so if your newest SIM does not work in your old phone, and they were on different networks, that is probably why.

You can get the old phone unlocked (legally) for about £5 by an independent, or for a 'reasonable sum' by the original supplier. £5 to get you back on the air is worth thinking about, even if you only use the phone until the broken one is fixed.

11. but...isn't it your fault?