So my position has changed, looking at cars.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tommygunn, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    My parents are telling me to start looking at cars. My brother says to go new, but get something decent. I want something sporty and quick but with room for gear and my dogs (2 black labs). So I've settled on a hatchback/5-door. Price is also an issue, my parents said they'd pay for half so my limit is about $25k

The three I've narrowed it down to is:
    Subaru Impreza, 5-door
    Mazda 3 Sport, 5-door
    VW Golf

Any suggestions? Comments? Whatever?

Thanks guys.

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Mini Clubman

3. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I'd get the Subaru. You can't kill them and I don't know where you live but the AWD is a huge benefit.

4. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    How much are the mini clubman going for?

Oh and I'm trying to stay towards 4 cylinders for gas milage, 30 or so highway is what I'm going for.

And I'm almost absolutly in love with the Honda Civic (that and the Mazda 3 are the only ones we've checked out in person), but I'm afraid it just wouldnt have the room. Owners comment?

5. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Price is certainly not THAT much of an issue when your budget on a car is $25k.

my first car was a 1988 Buick LeSabre inherited from my deceased grandfather. Consider yourself quite lucky.

As for the Mazda vs Civic. I recently drove both and I can say the Mazda is a lot more fun to drive, and the civic's turning radius was utter garbage.

6. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Well at $25k, that put my side at almost $13k... and thats A LOT of money. And under $20k is really what I'm going for, at 25 that really pushing it.

Edit: I was just trying to push like something like a CX-7 or Benz CrossOver sumthin or another wasn't going to be in my price range.

7. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Agreed, that is a lot of money, but even if you took your parents half and just bought a car with that, you can still get a great used car for that money. Dont buy a brand new car. Its just not worth it. Pick up something that is maybe a year or two old and you will not be the one that takes the hit on massive depreciation.

8. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Oh, I should've read the OP more... looking for new. The Clubman can be had for about $27k new out the door around here. The Mazda 3 is also good.
    I'm in a similar boat as you. My partner is going to need a new car soon, and we're starting to look around now just to have ideas going. She has the same options as you, but also has the new Camaro on the list as a sports alternative if she doesn't want a hatch. I'm waiting on the new ZLI to drop though :D

9. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    The Mazda did feel like it had more push, and the salesman took us out to a empty lot to do donuts and test the steering, talk about turning on a dime.. I was dizzy afterwards.

10. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    +1

best advice you're going to get as far as logistics go! now find a few suitable prospects & gl.

11. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Inactive

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    WOW - 25K for a first car??

We were ESTATIC with a used car for 3K!! Man have times changed.

If they are going to give you 13K, I would find a car for 13K and take the payments you would have been making and put them towards a savings plan.

A car payment at a young age of about $300 (my estimation) is a large burden for a young person IMO.

12. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    My brother is 21. Been driving since he was 15. He's gone through 3 cars already. 82 (iirc) Benz, 86 Peugeot and now he has a 95 kia. All were "perfect" when he got them and both the Benz and the Peugot went down the crapper and the Kia has already been in the shop twice and he's had it for under a year. He told me its a pain in the arse and keeps saying that its better to go new in the long run. Thats my only reason for not looking used.

13. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Well I'd be working a job 45-50 hours a week.

14. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Also. I live in a city notorious for traffic. Should I stick with automatic or try a manual?

15. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    All of my vehicles have been manuals. Driving through the middle of Seattle doesn't bother me one bit (and we have some nice hills with lights on them that can make it interesting).

16. Kipaste

Kipaste

Jun 27, 2006
    Helsinki, Finland
    Ahh but you see, your brother bought very old cars. And what's even worse in one case, an old french car. Used doesn't have to mean run down.

The trick is to buy a car that has been used for a year or two. It's still basically like new but you avoid washing a huge part of your money down the drain the moment you drive the car out of the store. Also, get a properly maintained one and continue to maintain it. And get something durable and cheap to repair if you plan on driving the car for next ten years which is completely realistic with your budget, even if you keep 30-40% of it saved for a rainy day.

17. Oh man...my boyfriend bought his Astro for $1500 and it's the best van ever.

18. Sam Hain

Sam Hain

May 30, 2010
    Sage advice...

I would buy used. You can save a ton of cash and still get a great car. If you dont know about the mechanics of a car, ask a mechanic to take a look at the car. Just drive the car up to a small shop and see if they have the time to take a look. Throw them a couple bucks....bring 'em a coffee, whatever.

You'll eventually realize that a car payment is almost as evil as a Lady Gaga outfit.

19. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Automatic vs. manual is all your call.

But for the love of god, realize how much money you stand to waste by buying a new car.

20. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    If your driving in traffic, Automatic, just simply to save wear and tear on your transmission.

As far as new vs. second hand. Depends what your plans are.

Personally, if you can afford to buy a new car outright, and you can get something with a good warranty (Mitsubishi have 10 year's over here currently), I would say its a good investment.

The next 10 years of trouble free motoring, as well as a nice new shiny car, certainly seems like a massive benefit to me. However, if you are not planning on sticking around for 10 years driving the same car, or your wanting to go sticking all sorts of expensive little performance doo-dads in it that void your warranty, its not really going to be a great investment.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021