1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So my repair guy called me the other day..

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Dream Works, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Dream Works

Dream Works

Dec 5, 2003
    Toronto
    Hey guys,
    I was in bed when I was thinking about what my repairman called me to tell me about yesterday. I wasn't at home so he left a message on my answering machine. He told me that there was nothing wrong with my electronics physically, as in there aren't any loose connections or anything, but he does tell me that my preamp sounds weird. I agree completely with him, something is wrong with my tone. My bass teacher agrees as well. Could it just be Ibanez's faulty electronics? Well anyway, he told me that he could order up a preamp from Montreal for about $50 Canadian. That's no more than $60 USD if I remember correctly. The thing is, my bass has midsweeps and a full 3 band eq, as in it wouldn't be quite a shabby piece of wires. However, I've seen some preamps go for over 150+, and those ones would only have a 2 or 3 band eq. What kind of preamp would I be getting for $50? Would they even have mid sweeps?
    Excuse me if I made any horrible mistakes, I just got out up bed to type this out. Thanks for readin', guys.

2. I don't know...ask your tech more questions...like "who makes this preamp?"

personally, I use a home made gain-only pre...it cost me about $10 AU ($9 Canadian) to put together...another $5 and I'd have a 2-band tone-stack (didn't want to go that way)...

so $50 US "could" be a decent preamp, but probably NOT a name brand

3. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Double that and you'll have an Aguilar 2-band, OBP-1.

4. Dream Works

Dream Works

Dec 5, 2003
    Toronto
    You see, that's the problem. My bass is a decent bass, it's got volume, blend, low, treb, mid, and mid sweep, so if I were to go and use a 2 band preamp, I'd have quite a few wholes in my bass. I really don't want to spend $50 on a preamp that won't actually help my bass, I'd much rather save up some more and get a preamp that would improve my bass, even if just by a little. Well, I guess I should just call the guy up and ask him about it. Thanks alot.

5. Piedro

Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Endorsing Aguilar Amp product.
    sorry guys.. but is you transfer 50 can to US it'll be 42.83 US $.. the CAN Dollars is always higher than the US

And it's surelay another pre-amp for your bass by ibanez.. maybe a used one?

And +1 for the Aguies OB-1

6. Dream Works

Dream Works

Dec 5, 2003
    Toronto
    Ohhh geez that was really stupid. I know that the Canadian dollar was lower. >> I wrote that in the middle of the night.
    Actually Piedro, you may be very right. I did try to call the place but the repairman wasn't in.
    I'm not really sure about the Aguies OB-1, only 2 bands? I don't tihnk I'd be comfortable with that at all. And I really don't want empty holes in my bass. However, I'm willing to go with it if does sound much better than the old preamp, even with the narrorer tonal versatility. Tell me more about this Aguies OB-1. I'm running a google check now.
    Thanks for reading.

7. fender_mod

fender_mod

Jun 23, 2005
    whats it take to make your own preamp? ive looked into it but never really yeiled anything. im learning all about electronics in my college physics class this week so im thinking of 'applying my knowledge'