Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So, my Ric is here and the box said

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mitchell Royce, Apr 20, 2005.

1. ... that I shouldn't even think about opening it up before 48 hours had passed. :bawl: Now, I'm sure that some of you have gone through this and can tell me how serious I should take that warning. I mean, there's now a box in my room and in it is my Ric and it's tempting me. Seriously, I dunno if I can do two days.

2. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I dont get it why do you have to wait?

3. That's torture. :crying:

4. If it was air shipment, I'd understand that... it would be for the wood to get used to the new temperature/preassure... so funky things dont happen to it...
    Personally, I'd say just rip the bastard open as fast as you can and Grooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove on it. :bassist: :D

5. Well, it was an airshipment which is why I took that warning serious.

And trust me, the desire to just rip it open is tremendous but I'm gonna try to hold out for as long as possible.

I'm gonna have to keep distracted by being on here. So, distract me, goshdarnit.

6. eh, won't be that bad...

as long as the outside of the container is ok, and you have no other reasons to be suspicious of any possible damage, I say just wait, it's not work the finish checking or the wood going funky or whatever.

Tho I think 48 hours is a little much. 24 tops to get acclimated.

If there IS any damage once the box is openned, have you essentially waived the responsibility of the shipper (if it's their fault) or does Rickenbacker pick up the tab seeing they instucted you against immediate inspection?

7. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Yeah, I'd wait... just to be sure! John Hall of RIC has mentioned over on the Rickenbacker forum to heed that warning, or be prepared to regret it the rest of the instrument's life. :/ I think it's fairly standard practice, anyway, to let the instrument acclimate slowly to its new environment so the finish doesn't crack (or other ailments arise) due to a sudden temp/humidity change.

8. Well, I took the hardcase out of the box now, because my trash paper is getting picked up soon, and the hardcase is in fine condition, with no apparent damage. The friends that were sending it to me(Ricpage can't ship to Germany) were so nice and amazing that they packed the inside again to make extra sure nothing would happen(I know because they told me). So, everything should be allright. Man o man, this is trying already and it hasn't even been here for 3 hours yet.

9. Be strong grasshopper. You'll be fine. Slip it under the bed and go make some toast and coffee. Watch a flick or leave the house altogether. Dunno what time it is there....

10. If temptation's too strong... Just lash yourself!

11. it's not like they are going to have a video camera inside the box that can tell if you waited that long.

12. ireidt

ireidt

Mar 6, 2005
    Florida
    I say wait. gtwo days isn't that long, and if you are soo tempted to play, go play the other bass that is collecting dust in the corner as you neglect it!

13. Psychdave

Psychdave

Apr 4, 2005
    Valencia, CA
    I just got my new Ric about a week ago ... Fireglo 4003, I DID NOT WAIT 24 HOURS... not 24 seconds... it was a truck ship though so maybe that would have made me wait... oh no it wouldn't. As long as the temerature has adjusted you should be good to go. Have fun.. it sounds awesome through the Mesa 400 by the way! :hyper:

14. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yeah, but he doesn't want to ruin his bass to satisfy a moments curiousity.

15. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    48 hours is better than "Do Not Open Until Christmas!"

16. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

are fanatical about the right way and love their Rics with an undying devotion. I mean , heck check out their site. I am somewhat surised that a highly detailed process doesn't exist such as after 23.5 hours open the box 2 inches at the mid point wher the neck would join the nody. After 28.62 hours (if room temp is above 76 degrees) open the body end etc.

I would wait

Wesley R.

17. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

I need to stop doingthis at work, with my wife on the phone and by boss talking to me over the cubelet wall,

Go to the Ric site, ask a guy called thericdr, he is a bonified Ric addict/afficionado 9or email me and I will provide him with your adress). All of his instruments are dead mint and have been flown a lot.

Wesley R.

18. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto

So my question to you is what model and finish did you choose and where did you order it from?

TD

I hope you're planning on posting a photo of it here once you finally take it out of the box it came in.

19. It is a Midnight Blue 4003 and I ordered it from Ricpage. Trust me, there will be pics.

20. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Midnight Blue... excellent choice, mine is Midnight Blue as well. ;)