Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So, my SB-1 rocked last night

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by justBrian, May 14, 2004.

1. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I took my G&L SB-1 to rehearsal last night after not using it for about 5 months. I've been totally in love with an LB100 (still am, btw). Anyway, I took it along because we have one song that we do in C#m and I wanted to do my bit an octave lower that usual (and play the normal octave up the neck). So I tuned it BEAD, plugged in for the song and was totally blown away by the depth of the tone. I was 15 feet or so from my rig and it was vibrating my pants! Our female backup singer wanted to sit on my cab for the rest of the night Even the lead player was impressed.
    I've tried to sell this bass off and on for about a year, and each time I play it, it goes right back into the arsenal. It's old, it's ugly and beat up, but it is one monster tone machine!

2. LOL !

About a month ago I took a L2000 to practice that had been sitting idle. During setup, played with my "normal" settings I have on the bass.

When we started I kept looking back at my amp thinking this is really sweet !

Gotta shorten up the rotation.

3. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    +1 I took my L2K last week. Everytime I play it, I'm sure I'll never sell it. Great basses. :cool:

4. Did the one guy that recently got a SB-2 post his review yet ?

5. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I haven't seen it. I should probably review mine too. ;)

6. I have not played my SB-2 for a bit.......

Ever since I noticed that the color matched the guitarists axe and the drummers kit. We were about to play and I looked around and said "man we must look stupid".

7. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    So, what color is yours? My SB-1 is that really ugly red, my L2K is cherryburst, and my LB100 is the black-swirl bowlingball finish.
    Bummer about the band. Although you could all get matching outfits too. :eek:

8. Matching outfis = :spit:

It's a metallic red/maroon w/blackburst, black pickguard.

also

El Toro - black w/matching headstock
    L2000 - Honeyburst
    L2000 - Natural
    L2500 - Honeyburst w/flame maple top
    L2500 - Blueburst (old 4+1)
    L5500 - Honey
    L1000 - Tobacco Burst (mahogany body, fretless)

How do you like the bowling ball finish ?

9. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I think you need to change your name dude. What an awesome collection. :D

The bb finish is really cool-- looks great with the white p/g and p'ups. It really is my faorite axe. I put some LaBella tapewounds on it and it just sings.

10. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA

nice. :cool:

11. Thanks.

I'll have to try the tapewound strings

12. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
  13. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    El Toro - black w/matching headstock
    L2000 - Honeyburst
    L2000 - Natural
    L2500 - Honeyburst w/flame maple top
    L2500 - Blueburst (old 4+1)
    L5500 - Honey
    L1000 - Tobacco Burst (mahogany body, fretless)

So I guess you like G&L ?

Have L2000 since 1984,bought new. Black,rosewood. The problem I have now is I can't figure out what to buy for a second bass because the L2K is capable of so many sounds/tones that I want one that won't sound the same.
    Tough find,seriously. Probably have to go with a Jazz type pickup set up. Considering Lakland Skyline ,Fender Jazz(although the more I look at options the less the Fender appeals to me) G&L JB2 Fender Precision is probably too close in L2K sound don't you think ? Any opinions on mentioned basses?

14. Yep, one of these days I'll find one that Leo had his hands on. Some lucky people have found his initials in the neck pocket.

The JB2 is more of a classic jazz bass sound and is on my list. G&L makes their stuff to last as you know.

Never tried Lakland so no comment on that.

15. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    >>>The JB2 is more of a classic jazz bass sound and is on my list

The input I got from other G&L people is not to judge the sound of JB2 in store due to the SIT brand strings factory installed. They don't bring out the best qualities of the bass. I found this to be the case(too high end sensitive) and still thought it was a great bass while playing in store. But to think it gets better with top notch strings is great. Also told to pad pickup springs with some foam in body pocket to eliminate a microphonic twang. After those two moves your set for to notch tones.

16. Here is my SB1

17. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I think you should try an SB-1 or an LB100. Both will nail the p-bass sound. I find the LB100 is the classic vibe-- must be the vintage wound p'ups. I'm just not a jazz bass kinda guy. ;)

18. G&Lthump

G&Lthump

Aug 4, 2004
    hey hey hey!!! I have the exact same bass.. My parents bought it for me in '83 for my birthday at the music store i took lessons at.. It's been through a few color changes but I'm currently refinishing back to the same red, for the integrity of it.. Let me know if you ever decide to part with yours please.. PS, my name is Rich..

19. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    I had a G&L Tribute five string bass on trial a few weeks ago, I ended up not buying it, I couldn't put my finger on it but it never sounded right.

I also didn't like it's weight.

20. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    O_O I didn't even know SB-1's and LB100's even existed. Then again, I got in on the G&L game a wee bit late.