1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So my school got locked down today...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by CanadaMan, Sep 5, 2008.

1. ...by a "white male in his mid twenties riding a bicycle." Apparently he threatened a couple of students and then flashed a gun at them, and since guns are foreign objects in Canada, the school was immediately shut down. We were there for 2 hours, and then we were finally told what happened. Fantastic.

I just think it's ridiculous, our school's been locked down 3 times in the last year.

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Better safe than Columbine.

3. and here I thought that stuff only happened in the US...

US schools would do the same thing, btw.

4. It's not even the lockdown part that bothered me so much, it's the fact that no one bothered to inform us of ANYTHING, even the teachers didn't know if it was a drill or real, until the "crisis had been averted." I thought that, while understandable, is unacceptable.

5. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    What would you have done if you knew anyway, try to grab a look? Maybe get shot in the process?

6. freak out and try running for home - right across the nutjob's crosshairs...

7. No, obviously not. However, considering 90% of students have cell phones nowadays (random number, seems around there in my school), I'd think it'd be nice to let the kids know so they don't have their parents going out of their minds.

The news did a mighty fine job of embellishing the "terror" factor as usual. I was having a laugh the entire time, no one actually has the stones to use a gun around here... I figured the worst that could actually happen was someone came with a sword and was swinging it around in the hallways. Seems more likely 'round these parts, anyhow.

Edit: I don't think anyone's running home if we're locked down :rolleyes: Although for the record, I think it would have been a better idea than the room I was locked in, with it's 10,000 panes of glass and such that weren't even covered. At the very minimum, let the teachers know what's happening.

8. In High School I remember sitting in the gym for a bomb threat.

Then at the community college there was an armed robber in the area driving around in the same color/model truck as me.

9. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    We were doing a show up in Red Hook New York and we went to a nearby diner for lunch. We were sitting at the table and we ordered our drinks and everyone starting staring and whispering.

I see my drummer with his hand over his mouth trying to hold back the laughs and he points at the wall and there is drawing of a serial rapist that looks EXACTLY like me.

So I get all paranoid and ask for my check for my soda and ending eating somewhere else.

10. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    My secondary school once closed because of an open barrel of peppers.

11. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    Your profile does not show you age but,

If you're a student at that school,you should be happy,
    If you're a teacher,dam you should still be happy for a day off.:D

But that guy who flashes a gun at students....me no like him. :scowl:

12. Anyone remember the Sniper on the east coast around October-November '04? 2 or 3 of those Shootings happened withing 5 miles of my house. My dad also got pulled over for driving a White Van with a ladder rack. It was a tense time, especially when the one man got shot at the gas station. we were locked down and didn't know what was happening at all until later.

13. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    my school got locked down today too. I just posted a thread about it. This guy had a gun and was an underage student.

14. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Pfft. This happens about once a month at my school.

15. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    I remember our school in germany (on the army post, LMRC, which just so happens to have the biggest military hospital in europe) getting bomb threats at least once every two months. The hospital got it more.

16. WickedPissah

WickedPissah

Jan 22, 2008
    Boston
    It was before my time, but this also happened at my sad little excuse for a high school

17. The one time my district locked down, we weren't informed of the reasons either. It's like they're not supposed to speak of it.

18. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    They won't tell you or the teachers what's going on because they don't want to cause a panic. Simple as that. Between less level-headed students and staff trying to run out the door all at once, and every person with a cell phone calling 911 simultaneously, they probably keep you in the dark to keep control of whatever they can while they take care of the problem. I remember someone calling in a bomb threat to my high school just after the first wave of post-Columbine paranoia was setting in. The principal made the mistake of informing everyone of the situation, and there were people who were hurt very badly in the following rush to the back fields (which is where the bombs were allegedly hidden).

19. Any reasons to keep students in the dark even after the event though? That's the part I don't get. It's like once it's over, we're supposed to pretend it didn't happen. It's hard to get a straight answer out of anyone even a week later.

20. Croox

Croox

Sep 16, 2007
    South Side Chicago
    never happened while i was in high school, but my senior year the tornado alarms went off and a buddy of mine started running down the hall screaming "WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE" and was knocking kids over and such, then some teachers started chasing him. surprisingly they never caught him. the biggest threat to my high school was people setting the garbage cans on fire with their smokes.