1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So my son leaves his Zune in his pocket....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by FarkusSWR, Apr 21, 2010.

1. FarkusSWR

FarkusSWR Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Treasure Coast, FL
    ....and it goes through the washing machine. Thankfully my wife finds it before it hits the dryer. In desperation I turn to Google and find out that, in similar situations with similar devices, people have put their water-logged items in a bowl of dry, un-cooked rice and set it on a sunny windowsill for a couple days. :eyebrow:
    Well..............it worked. Hooked it back up to the PC tonight and it fired right up. Unbelievable.
    He was p.o.'d at himself because it was his birthday present but now he's like:hyper:

2. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Hell yeah! Zune invincibility.

3. Nice.

So I assume the rice is there to absorb humidity ? Any idea if it can "resets" the small label inside the units that tells if it's been immersed ??? :D

4. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Nope. Once that sticker is wet, it stays wet and discolored. Rice always works pretty well to remove water damage. Your best bet with wet electronics is:
    1. Do not turn it on again! Do not try and turn it on!
    2. Take out the battery.Put device in rice, leave in sunny spot
    3. Wait about 3 days (in my experience)
    4. Put battery back in, and see if it works

5. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    ZUNE = Zero, Users, No, Exaggeration

6. Or if you have it handy, dunk it in pure rubbing alcohol as soon as it's wet (such as in the laundry room). Alcohol evaporates 1000x quicker than water and will displace the water that has hit it.

7. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    You should have put it through the dryer.

Ive done it before with mobile phones and they normally work straight away afterwards :p

Very few electric deviced will be damaged by water as long as they are off, its the batteries that you have to worry about.

8. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton valar morghulis Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs

this is true. you could take the battery out of your laptop or cellphone, and put the whole thing in a sink full of water. put it in rice for a few days, but the battery back in and it will work.

the water isn't was kills devices. it's the electricity running through it with the water that fries the insides.

9. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I know more people with Zunes than iPods these days (I don't own anything) The main reason for the switch is that the Zunes are more durable and won't die after 2 years. I don't know anyone that had a broken Zune yet.

10. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I don't know a single person with a zune. Not an exaggeration. Maybe I don't know enough people...

11. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I haven't seen one in a few years.

12. My buddy did the rice trick with his iphone that jumped in the toilet and it worked like a charm.

13. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    :eek:

I'm deathly afraid of that happening.

14. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    My friend bought himself and his girlfriend iphones when they were brand new, at like $400 a piece (or was it $600?)

Well, they were at a concert and his gf managed to drop hers in the port-a-potty. He went and bought her a new one. She dropped that one in a differnt toilet.

Not sure if they broke up over that or the fact they didnt have sex for the last 6 months of their time 'together'. She ended up being pregnant 2 weeks after they split, 2 months pregnant.

15. Lurker79

Lurker79

Jul 3, 2008
    Hayward, CA
    Me too. Then again my guitar player works at apple. And to that last post, dayyumm, that's nasty. Why in the F do so many females drop their phones in port o potties? There has to be some statistics to back it up.

16. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    My 4 year old got something sticky on his Leap Frog that my mom just got him. So he put it in the sink under running water. I put it up in the closet for a week or so. It worked perfect.

17. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    My drummer has a Zune. He had to return three of them within a week, but the fourth one is going strong since then.

18. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Simple. They put their phones in their ass pocket. Then when they have to go, they do the "squat and hover" as to not touch their derrieres to the seat when they tinkle...and the ass pockets aren't deep enough to contain the phone, they pull up their britches, and VOILA! out pops the cellie. Ploop!

19. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

Jan 19, 2008
    He subsequently threw away that rice, right?

20. That would be wasteful and irresponsible. It was perfectly fit for his kids' consumption.