1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So, my TI flats are dying.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by PWRL, Aug 6, 2020.

1. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    Coolsville
    I am afraid it's true. They aren't tremendously old, but they're had a lot of play for years, and they've been on 3 different basses. They just kind of go wunk wunk wunk, now. They're still pliable, but the joy is gone from them.

The bass in question is my 1989 Fender Corona-built 62 Reissue Precision. I would like to stay in the low tension neighborhood, but I'm fairly adventurous, stringwise, and I would like something that resonates a little more. I want to hear what you all have to say.

Whatcha got?

2. El Thumpo

El Thumpo Four strings, no waiting Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Ernie Ball Cobalt Flats. Smooth under the fingers but with a built-in zing.

3. Before you try any new strings try this.

After that give them a good wipe-down with isopropyl or ethyl alcohol to rid them of any built up oils on the surface of the strings.

This should allow you to get at least a bit more life out of them ;)

4. I'm not using any flats right now, but I keep reading positive comments about the Dunlop flats. They may be worth your consideration.

JEDI BASS and PWRL like this.
  5. I would question the effectiveness of this method on flats. Rounds tend to go dead when crud accumulates between the windings, so the idea is to rejuvenate them by snapping the junk out.

Sounds like the TI Flats in question are simply tired and worn out. I don't think they can be snapped back to life with this method.

howlin, tindrum, bassrique and 5 others like this.
  6. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    Coolsville
    I tried Cobalts once before, might have to try them again. I remember the E feeling a little floppy, but I remember the sound being nice. I may have to try them again.

I have not tried the the Dunlops, maybe I should.

The alcohol method I would try on rounds, but true, these are just played out. I got a lot of miles out of them, and this is a very resonant bass. I think they're goners.

7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

why wouldn't you replace them with the same --- since you like them and you know they work for you? asking for a cousin who farms.

nixdad, subdude67, Fender4Me and 20 others like this.
  8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Bring all the joy back with>

Joy.jpg

dmt, Dabndug, EatS1stBassist and 2 others like this.
  9. iammr2

iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Tejas
    So buy a new set and move on.

10. LoTone

LoTone Clean as an Entwistle... Gold Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    I had that too. All the sets that I had do not last as long as flatwound string sets from other brands. It's a pity.

miljoneir and EatS1stBassist like this.
  11. Jakeman

Jakeman Soundman's Nightmare Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    New Orleans, LA
    Buy another pack of TI's. If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

12. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    This doesn't work on flats.

13. ELG60

ELG60 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    I have nothing to base this on, however I suspect that having a set emplaced on three different instruments, with three different sets of witness points might have something to do with the less than legendary realized lifetime of these particular strings, every thing being equal.

Joebone, bassobrutto, MCF and 10 others like this.
  14. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    I second this. All of my basses (15 of them) are strung with TI's. When they get thuddy, I take them off and soak them in warm water and Dawn regular dish soap, rinse off, and restring. They're good as new after.

FishDub, bobba66, bassrique and 4 others like this.
  15. but not in the low tension (flexibility/compliance) that the OP wants, the cobalt flats are very stiff compared to the TI flats

16. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    From my experience with the jazz rounds, this is what killed them. I think the silk layer between the core wire and wrap wire can come loose if you uninstall and reinstall them. I could be wrong about that but I've had sets of jazz rounds go wonky after moving from one bass to another. You can get a new set and they'll be good for years as long as they stay where they are.

bassobrutto, matdras, tindrum and 5 others like this.
  17. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I've been happy with LaBella flats, they are compliant and sound good and seem to last. I have a bass that is very mellow that I play Dad Chromes because the higher tension makes me put a little more fight into it.
    But if you love your TI get another set.

gitfiddl and staurosjohn like this.
  18. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Fender Greenies for me!!

19. FishDub

FishDub Stuck in the 80s and happy about it Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    This^..But if you insist on a change, I have heard good things about Labella Low tension flats.

halech54, el jeffe bass, Ggaa and 2 others like this.
  20. Flats or rounds?