1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So my vehicle unlocks itself.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Andrew.Glose, Mar 23, 2009.

1. I have a '96 Nissan Pathfinder and recently, I've been noticing that my vehicle is unlocked when I go to get in it, when I know I've locked it after using it. So the other day, I lock the car while I'm standing near, and it unlocks itself right in front of me.

Does anyone know how to disengage the electronic locking system on this vehicle?

There seems to be a clicking sound coming from under the steering wheel whenever I lock/unlock anything, and whenever it's about to unlock itself...I've tried removing the fuses for the "keyless entry 1" and "keyless entry 2" slots under the hood. No luck.

Any help would be hot...

Andrew

2. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    I suspect a malfunction in the microswitches in the drivers door latch. It may be due to a slightly loose connection to the switches that causes a short. I would first try disconnecting the battery to see if the BCM resets itself as this is sometimes the cause of the problem. If not, then you will need to remove the door panel and inspect the switches for corrosion or a loose wire connection.

3. Thanks, man. I'm on it as soon as the sun comes up.

Andrew

4. Where do you live? where is this car parked exactly? :D :p

5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Your vehicle is mocking you. It must be disciplined.

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    "bad truck! baaad truck!"

7. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Sounds to me like your car thinks the key is still in the ignition. My Nissan product will unlock itself if the key is in the ignition but the car is not started. So that I won't stupidly lock the keys in. :D

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    yeah, my xterra is like that..

9. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    unacceptable

it must be destroyed

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    hahahaha :D

11. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    That's an interesting point.

Andrew, do you have or can you get a set of wiring diagrams for your Pathfinder (you can usually find them in a repair manual for the vehicle, including those from Haynes, Chilton's, et al)? Check for a "key inserted" bus or something like that. Check the voltage on it when the key is inserted and when it's not. It should probably be about +12V when the key is inserted in the ignition switch, and 0V when it's removed. If the voltage doesn't change, then the problem is probably a little microswitch inside the ignition lock cylinder. Depending on the vehicle, the microswitch is probably not replaceable by itself; you would probably need a new ignition switch and/or lock cylinder, but you should be able to determine that from a repair manual.

12. could be a door not closing correctly! my car will unlock itself if one of the doors is open, im constantly trapping something in the door and not being able to visibly see the door is open. i then spend the next few minutes looking puzzled at it whilst trying to lock it. then i finally realise that the door must be open.

13. You have the wrong auto insurance according to something I saw on tv recently. Change it and your car will get back in line.

14. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    outstanding, hahahaha... yeah, if the tires automatically flatten and the keys start flying out of the ignition, yup.

15. Gubna

Gubna

Oct 21, 2006
    San Francisco
    I once heard a car talk...

"your door is a jar". no, it's a door.

this is all you gotta know: Knight Rider

16. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    when i turn off my xterra, some beeping noise happens and it reminds me of the "pizza! pizza!" sound Little Caesar used to say on the old Little Cesar's commercials. :D :D :D

17. Hover, I wonder if that is a regional commercial since you got it instantly and the others didn't (or it just wasn't funny enough to comment on). Uggh. I may have failed again, but instead I'll chalk it up to regional humor just to make myself feel better.

18. before you spend any dough be sure that you are not accidentally hitting the keychain remote

19. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Massachusetts is its own auto insurance universe. I discovered that ~20 years ago when I worked in Westfield and my wife worked in East Longmeadow, and we considered moving closer to our jobs. It was a lesser hassle to stay in Connecticut.

20. They actually just recently extended the priveledge to the populace of having whatever insurance company they want. I think. Legally I am a resident of Maine so I don't concern myself with this states asinine laws.