1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So Nashville is underwater

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Calebmundy, May 3, 2010.

1. Calebmundy

Calebmundy

Apr 5, 2007
    Nashville
    We've had the most amazing and terrible storms. Between May 1st and 2nd, I think we beat the record for May, for the whole month.

15 people died, thousands have lost a lot. Doesn't seem to be making the national news much.

My day job is at an insurance office, and it's been crazy.

2. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Wow. I didn't even know about this.

3. Luckily, I live north of Nashville up on the ridge, so we just had some overflowing creeks blocking roads, but that's about it. I own a condo in Hendersonville across the street from the lake and I have no idea if it was damaged or not because I can't get there yet.

4. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Been watching the vids on the news!
    Looks like Katrina all over again - man! Downtown is basically under water.
    Showed the football stadium with water up to the first row of seats, and some guys modular home floatin' away! The R&R Hall of Fame is in danger.
    Good luck to all of you down there! What a friggin' nightmare! Stay safe!

What a weird year!

5. VitaminC

VitaminC

Oct 4, 2008
    I live in Willamson county. Some say we got hit the hardest but i don't know. Either way this damage is insane. We are over the "100 year flood marker" by a long shot.

6. Lurker79

Lurker79

Jul 3, 2008
    Hayward, CA
    That's what wondering. By how much has the record been shattered? I hope everything ends soon...

7. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    I pity the poor souls who are caught in these calamities... :(

8. yea, its on the cover of the USA today. looks like you guys got it even worse than we did here back in march! crazy weather on the east coast this year... crazy..

9. playinpearls

playinpearls

Apr 1, 2008
    Atlanta
    yeha, i finally saw a newscast of riverfront....it is crazy!

i can't believe the water is leaching into downtown...that is such a high bank!

any higher and it would have probably flooding adelphia...or whatever they call it now..

10. jeremyr

jeremyr

Sep 4, 2006
    Maywood, IL
    they've been showing plenty of the flash floods up here in Chicago since they started.

11. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Curious this hasn't gotten the wall-to-wall media play that Katrina did. I'll leave it at that.

Thoughts and prayers going out to the Nashville area... lotta good people in that part of the country, not to mention great musicians, and I hope things straighten out for them real soon. I saw that the Grand Old Opry venue has been impacted as well... sad to see.

I just hope the dams down there hold out or it could get bad in a big way.

12. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    I was one of the people affected by this. I'm pretty disappointed at the lack of national news attention. While this isn't on the level of hurricane Katrina, it's not far off. Lower Broad was under ten feet of water, thousands of homes and businesses have been destroyed. The financial impact is going to be in the billions, and there are going to be a lot of out of work musicians.

Personally, my street was under seven feet of water. Everything in my house was floating, including appliances. Authorities were evacuating people in boats. I managed to save my animals, luckily I have an upstairs attic. and I got three basses up there before it was too late. But I've lost several amps, as well as pretty much everything I own. I'm also technically homeless, but I do have a place to stay at the moment. I'll be sifting through the remains for a few days to see what can be salvaged.

I'll try to get some pictures uploaded in the next day or two to show the extent of the damage to my house and my neighbors.

13. well... the actual electrical components of the amps should be salvageable. They will need to be cleaned and dried before being put into new housings (provided the old housings were wood/particle board... metal and plastic ones should be fine after a cleaning). This is provided that they were not plugged into any outlets when the water hit (unless you lost power before the water got there).

Same goes with any computers and game consoles. As long as there was no power running to them, the devices themselves should be fine after a good clean/dry. But homeowner's ins. will probably only cover the articles in your house if you forfeit them as scrap.

Any cabs you had are most definitely trash now though. Those can't be saved in the case of water damage.

14. Calebmundy

Calebmundy

Apr 5, 2007
    Nashville
    Homeowners insurance generally won't cover anything at all that is damage from ground/flood water. It's a discinct policy.

15. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Yes, I'm in the process of finding a tech to get my main head cleaned up. The rest I'll do myself as time allows, but right now I'm sorting through a house full of my belongings that are now covered in mud and sewage. I lost a great 2x15 Genz cab that's unsalvageable, luckily I left a 1x15 ampeg cab at the home of an artist I'm playing for, so once I get my head up and running I'll have something for rehearsals. The biggest problem I have is that my suv was completely submerged (with the Genz cab inside), so the only transportation I have is my girlfriend's Jetta. Not really made for hauling gear.

16. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Oh, and my renter's insurance doesn't cover any of this.

17. Calebmundy

Calebmundy

Apr 5, 2007
    Nashville
    re: the PM I just sent you, I have a pretty good sized car and some storage space if you need any help moving stuff. I get off work at 5.

18. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Visited Nashville for the first time in 2008. Very odd to see the places I was hanging out completely submerged under water. Sending {{{{MoJo}}}} to you folks in TN.

19. Man... my thoughts go out to everyone dealing with this disaster.

Stay safe!!

20. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    I'll cover your cab. Unfortunately, we don't make a 2x15 anymore but, I'll send you a complimentary Neox-212T or Uber 212-T. I hope this helps.

Please see my PM.

All the best and we're very sorry for your challenges.