1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

So, need opinions on this.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FeuerFrei, Apr 24, 2009.

1. So I've been talking to a representative at Simba Products about needing to replace a single pickup in a Copley bass, they won't tell me what make the pickup is, won't sell me a single pickup, and have offered to sell me the full electronics kit for $125.00

Then, doing some research I find this.

http://evercrack.net/temp/wtfcopley.jpg

That's the full base, posted on their Ebay account, for $139.00

So I email back asking for clarification, and the reply, to paraphrase, "I know it doesn't make sense, I'd say buy it on Ebay".

Does this seem fishy to anyone else, why can't I get the make of the pickup, why does it have to come as a kit, and why to the electronics make up 89% if the cost?

2. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    They're trying to make money, not friends.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The answer to all three is that the only way they make money is by buying in volume from no-name factories in the third world, and by doing as little handling of the goods as possible. There's a saying in retail that you lose money every time you have to handle the product (due to labor costs). I'd be willing to bet that the only reason they offered to sell you a complete wiring kit for $125 is because each complete bass cost them $90 inclusive of labor and storage, and they were going to remove the electronics from one, maybe one that had picked up some dings, and throw away the body and neck. They can't give you the make of the pickup because there is no "make", just an anonymous factory in Indonesia or some island off China, and they wouldn't sell you an individual pickup because they wouldn't be able to charge you at least as much as the entire bass cost them.

4. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Bongo has it correct.

I'd probably just look around bartolini, EMG, or ebay for humbuckers that match the size you're looking for.

Are you sure the pickup needs to be replaced?