Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So now I am a mac user....suggestions?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Spilled some fluids into my PC, it died and I didn't feel like fixing it at the moment, so I picked up a Mac mini.

OS is Tiger, OS X v10.4

I've figured out enough to mess around online, any help out there from the apple vets who can point out some cool key features?

Thanks!

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    If you haven't been using exposé, goto the system preferences pane for it and set it up to what you feel comfortable with. Trust me, this single feature will forever change the way you look at interfacing with a computer, it's incredible, most revolutionary thing to happen to the graphical user interface since... the graphical user interface.

Also, universal spell check is very neat, right-click(control+click if you're still using a one button mouse) on any text input field and goto where it says "spelling" and have it "check spelling as you type"

Tiger also has a built in 400,000 word system-wide dictionary/thesaurus

Dashboard is neat too, for pretty much any doohickey you might need, www.apple.com has links to download more.

www.macupdate.com is a valuable source for free software, shareware, updates, drivers...etc.

www.versiontracker.com is similar to macupdate, but I prefer macupdate's interface

And of course... Garageband. It's my most used application, and by far my favorite.

any specific questions about how to do X,Y,Z?

3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Wow, thanks for the tip....expose rocks! I'd have more specific questions, but I don't have any idea what I am doing yet. I did notice, mozilla firefox borrowed heavily from safari, so I am somewhat familiar already.

Any more "must know" tips or tricks?

4. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    So now I am a mac user....suggestions?

Yep.. Now you can drive PC owners mad. Enjoy.

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well there are a billion tips and tricks, that I couldn't really outline because they are juts kinda embedded into my usage ya know? tinker around with things(system preferences and such), get it set up how you want, and then remember that OS X and all it's applications share similar design philosophies, and that many concepts and shortcuts and tricks cross over throughout all of them.

One neat thing is the opt. key and the shift key, using opt. enables you to access extra characters on the keyboard such as é øo ???ƒå¡™£ª†?˜ likewise, shift opens up a whole 'nother set' ?ÔӄÎ??Ò?€¨›°·€ ...etc. (some of those might not show for PC users, but you get the idea)

I believe Mozilla and Safari use the same core engine, I forget which came first, but regardless, they are both good browsers. Another very good browser for OS X is Camino.

Um... to take screen shots it's APPLE+SHIFT+3 to take the whole screen APPLE+SHIFT+4 to take a selection of the screen and APPLE+SHIFT+4+space-bar to take a screen shot of a window.

in the utilities folder is an application called 'grab' for more advanced screen shot options. Check out the utilities folder, it's fool of lots of neat little programs for doing all sorts of neat stuff.

You can spend some time customizing your icons and stuff, I have done some, and it's made my dock look nicer. heh.

Sherlock is a very neat program that can do all manner of searches(web, movies, stocks, auctions, direction, images..etc.) from all manner of sources. But ultimately google is probably superior most of the time.

I can't think of much else, but if you have any specific problems and/or questions, I am a big OS X dork, and would be happy to help.

6. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    two things to keep your system running great for a long time...

1. anytime you install a new update run the Permissions Repair. Finder>Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility then select the hard drive and press Repair Permissions. I usually run this after all of my installs.

2. Apple has CRON jobs that run in the middle of the night, around 3 am, that will optimize the system on a daily, weekly, monthly basis. Leave the machine on overnight every now and then. otherwise, there are ways of running these jobs manually.

Have fun and welcome to Mac Land. :bassist:

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Oh yea, that's something else entirely. I haven't shut my powerbook down in.... I can't even remember the last time I shut it down.

If you want a program to do maintenance stuff for you... cocktail is a pretty good one. But, you just got the thing, don't worry about that junk yet, basically, you should have smooth sailing 95% of the time, but, things happen from time to time, no system is infallible.

8. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Tim, Congrats, I suggest you give the old windows machine to Pat for target practice, I switched last spring, still haven't made the jump to Tiger, just blew 300 on Photoshop CS II (student price) Man that runs GREAT on a Mac!

9. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    since you are running Tiger you might want to disable the automatic install of widgets. There were some articles about this a few weeks ago. basically, in Safari go to Preferences>General tab and uncheck the box that says Open "Safe" Files After Downloading.

This will help prevent bad widgets from getting on your system without your knowledge.

Apples Discussion Forums are a great place to read up on problems that other people have had and a great source for info.

10. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Buy a real keyboard and mouse. THe first thing I did after getting my G5 was springing for a 4 button wireless mouse and a USB ergo keyboard. I hate the crappy keyboard and mouse that apple ships.

11. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Um, they don't ship keyboards or mice with Minis. I like the Apple keyboard, though.

I'm going through the transition soonish myself, I should have some extra cash around when they get the new iBooks out :bassist:

12. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    Best thing youll ever do computer wise Tim!! once you go Mac you never go back

13. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Liking it pretty well so far!

How the heck do you copy and paste text or images on a mac? I am having a hard time remembering no right click.

14. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    1) If you are ever using a one-button mouse, CTRL+CLICK will *always* act as a right-click.

2) OS X fully supports as many buttons as you can throw at it, why are you still using a one-button mouse? :p

But...

Saving images is a drag-and-drop affair, simply click on and drag the image off your web browser and onto the desktop, or into whatever folder you want. OS X has 'spring-loaded' folders so if you drag something over a folder and hold it there for a second, that folder will open up, you can do this as many times as you want, and the cool thing is that if you change your mind, it will all collapse.

Text= Apple+C to copy and Apple+V to paste. Same as in windows, only it's Apple/Command instead of CTRL

Links= If you want to copy a URL, simply drag and drop the link to any other text input field. If it's a thread, and you do this, it will not only drag the URL, but the name of the URL as well. This is very useful in iChat.

Some links might not drag and drop very well, but that would be because the link itself is weird, the system is otherwise flawless.

15. First thing you better do is take up a new hobby.

You're going to need something to do to fill the time you used to spend rebooting your computer due to crashes.

Randy :D

16. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    cra...sh? not sure if I'm familiar with the term, that's a windows thing right? :smug:

17. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Thoughts on the mac mini:

Nice and solid piece in a sweet tiny package. My initial thoughts on booting it up are how nice the OS appears vs XP. Makes XP look like an edsel.

My only complaint so far is, 256mb of ram seems pretty inadequate. Definitely go for the upgrade. I didn't have that option, since I bought mine at best buy (wife works there, discount). I want to pull the 512 card out of my PC, but am not sure if it will be compatible or not (it is DDR ram). I didn't go for the applecare plan, but rather spent $90 on a 3 year replacement. If it dies in 3 years, I just take it in and get a new one. Hopefully it pops about the time apple upgrades the line ;)

Very stable, and easy on the eyes. Taking a bit of getting used to, but it is a very nice system for low bucks. If not for the chugging due to low ram, and only ONE firewire port (two USB) and no audio inputs I'd have no complaints at all. Garage band seems cool, but I don't think I will be able to do much with only the 256.

18. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Let's not go there, guys, My Mac crashes just about as often as my PC, which is rarely, but it can and does happen.

19. Seriously, I don't know where these things start, or why people keep spreading them. I personally dual-boot with Linux, and sometimes spend time on Linux forums... the vast majority of the people on those boards think that Windows is satan in OS form, and that it is awful in every way. Ever since I installed XP, I've had 0 issues with crashing.

As an off-topic note... you spilled something into your computer box and now it doesn't work at all? How did the liquid get in the box, and are you sure it's broken? (if so, what part?)

20. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i did the same thing: bought my Mini at Best Buy. you definitely want to upgrade the RAM. i think somewhere on www.macsales.com there is a video demonstration on how to open the mac so that you can upgrade various components, such as RAM, yourself.

ah, here it is http://eshop.macsales.com/tech_center/index.cfm?page=Video/mini/high.html