So now i'll return my bass...(GRRR)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Suckbird, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    So i bought my ibanez btb405qmhs from and got after about 3weeks of waiting.
    It had fretbuzz all over it when you played a little harder so it sounds like a pure bag of dog**** and i hate it.

I thought it was the trussrod so i sendt it to my local music store and waited a week (he was sick) so then my dad went to get it home and the guy in the music store said he couldn't fix it and he thinks there's no problem on it? What the hell?
    So if a bass is meant to sound like this one then i should star playing guitar or what?
    Anyway, my dad told him i might send it back and the guy in the music store said he wouldn't do it, and the people at would probably say the same...
    I still have about a week left to sendt it back so i will..

I still wonder, did this man really touch my bass at all?
    I heard him play on it through is line6 bass pod and the buzz sounded even worse through it and there's nothing wrong?

My J&D **** bass sounds better, even with old strings..

I wish i could put out some soundclips of it but i dont know how to do and i dont have anything to it with...

So, do you think it's anything wrong with my bass? OMG...

Or would it sound the same ****ty fretbuzz on an high-end custom american bass?
  2. Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    I'd bring that back in a hurry and never deal there agin.
  3. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Well, if you get fretbuzz all along the neck, maybe it just is setup lower than you like / are used to playing. Why not try raising the bridge saddles a touch?
  4. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    That's the first thing i did, i rasied as high as i could.

Nothing happened.

And this bass cost almost a grand from thomann..
  5. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    While the tone on the BTB is not all that great, I don't personally think they're that bad, however that's purely subjective.

However, I have a BTB405, and actually, the action is pretty good... fairly low with not much buzz. I use it mainly as a beater, but it does do ok.

All this said, tho, sounds like the one you got was pretty lame, so I'd definitely return it.

I'm just mainly pointing out that the BTB405's are not generally crappy. Their tone is fairly distinct, especially in the midrange, but I don't think everybody dislikes it. In fact, in their price range, they're not too bad but IMHO, these days, with the G&L Tributes and Lakland Skylines, it gets its butt kicked in that same price range pretty regular anymore.
  6. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    You shouldn't have to do this. If it has bad buzz problems that aren't solved EASILY by mild truss rod and saddle height adjustments, it's got bad fret level issues, and that can be expensive to fix properly... IMHO, not worth it on a bass in this price range.

The bottom line is, you just got this bass... it should not have such major issues. Return ASAP it if at all possible and move on.

Get a Lakland Skyline and LOVE LIFE!!!! :)
  7. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Send it back and don't deal with them again. If they don't understand fret buzz, they are in the wrong buisness. (at least the guy you took it to in person)
  8. Sorry to hear your bass is a let-down.

If it doesn't set up to play how you want it to, it's faulty, technically speaking. So are the ears of the repair guy.

I have tried a couple of basses in shops and they have been beauts, but the action is too high. I mentioned the idea of the shop staff lowering the strings and coming back later and re-trying the bass. they told me both times that they had raised the action to cure fretbuzz etc.

Two years later, one of them is still in the shop, unsold.

Back to your bass - the customer is King - send it back and get one you like.

Good luck. :bassist:
  9. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    I didn't mean btb's sucks, i mean my ibanez sucks..

But i also found out with this bass, that i dont really need the low-B string as much as i thought i would.

Next bass = a 4stringer made in America or Japan.

it's fretbuzz all over it - so isn't this just an issue with the trussrod? Or is it the frets wich need a setup?

I saw him take his fingers on the 1st fret and 12th etc so he probably know how to adjust the trussrod?

Anyway, i take it to my teacher on monday and see what he says, i dont think he can fix it but, yeah yeah...
  10. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Depends. If you get buzz while playing up high and down low, it's generally a saddle height thing. If you only get it down low or up high, it's a relief and/or saddle height thing. If you get it intermittently all over, it's a fret leveling thing (very bad). The bottom line is, if the buzz is consistent over a range of the neck, it's usually typical setup stuff. If it's inconsistent, it's frets.

Or, put another way, fret buzz that won't go away after adjusting the action height and neck relief properly is also a general indicator of fret problems.

Actually, no. It should be the first and LAST fret, and you MEASURE relief at the midpoint of the neck (which would be the 12th fret if it's a 24 fret bass).

Fair enough, but if you already know you hate the tone, isn't that a waste of time?
  11. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I'll bet the nut was cut too low.

I can get ANY bass, even the worst cheapies, to play great. I may have to refile or replace a nut, or level/recrown the frets, but adjusting the truss rod and saddle heights is a MUST when receiving a new bass. It need adjustment merely from the change of humidity from the source of shipping to your home. That's why most basses play like crap in the store, they probably played great when they left the factory, then adjusted to the humidity differences at the destination.
  12. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    +1!! Or worn (can't recall if it was a used bass). Forgot about this one. Funny, 'cause I have a Cirrus in need of a nut right now for that exact reason. :)
  13. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    No, it's not worn. It took 3weeks to get it because it was out of stock.

Also, i heard that basses and guitars are like this when they are knew?
    My cousin came and looked at it and he said it will be better when it's worn, he said he had the same problem with his fender guitar but after a while everything was fine.

In that case i'll keep it.
  14. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    But the nut could still be cut too low from the factory, right?

I've never had a new bass do this, and I wouldn't buy one that did.

Maybe when the strings get so dead that you can't hear the treble of the buzz... which isn't really a good solution.

I can't tell you what to do, but I'd take the advice of the other members here by trying to return it. You deserve a bass that doesn't have any issues.

I hope things work out for you. :)
  15. I had a bad experience with my old OLP mm3. I owned it for a month, only a month, and in that perior the neck bowed and the bridge pegs fell down 4 or 5 times so I had to readjust the bridge, which is quite boring and nasty, specially if it happens suddenly when you are going to gig. Those things make it absolutely not trusty-worthy so I tool it back to the shop.

They told me they could do anything considering the bass seems to be ok. The bridge problem happened suddenly so I could guess when it would happen. He told me I should bring it back to the shop when it happens again, and being it with the problem not solved so he could see what happened. I tol him to refund my money or let me pick another bass from the shop, of the same value. He told me he couldnt do that.

I got smad so I bought my bass for 200 euros, it costed me 400, and you know I lost 200 euros in a month just because of that ****ty problem. I wont buy in that shop anymore, and it was one of my fav shops so...meh.

Sumarizing: If they trick you, never go back there.
  16. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    It's fretbuzz all over the bass except very high on the G-string.

It's the ringing tones, i can play fast without fretbuzz but when i want ringing tones then it buzzes the hell out of the bass..

I've heard that thomann is great to deal with until you have a problem, and now i have a problem :(

I dont know if i get the money back or just a new bass, and maybe the new bass will be like this one?

Why do problems always found me :confused:

Also, i dont know if it helps but i can show pics of the bass nad the nut if you want..
  17. Dr. D

Dr. D Loaded For Bear

Jan 13, 2005
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    I have an Ibanez that had a truss rod adjustment problem. I took it to a guitar center, and the guy set it up, and I swear he knew nothing about what he was doing. after he got through, it also Buzzed all over the place.

What I found the trouble to be after watching him set it up improperly, was that he put too much bow in the neck, and set the strings too high. The strings being too far above the pickups, will cause it to buzz, and it isnt a fret buzz. It is a string buzz.

I downloaded the manual from Ibanez, and set it up per the manual, and It was incredible what a difference it made in this Instrument.

I wish you luck!!!!
  18. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours

I've been in the music retail business for 35 years. There's only one solution to your problem; return it before the deadline is up. I'd also contact the manufacturer and explain the situation AFTER you return bass #1.

If you purchased a computer for $1,000 and had problems right out of the gate, would you open it up and begin working on it yourself? :)

Another general thought. If there's one thing that you DON'T want to do, it's to purchase a instrument from one store (mailorder) and then take it to your local dealer, the guy you didn't buy from, and ask them to fix all the problems. Dealers tend to be a bit touchy about those things.

And, in closing, for the vast majority of the guys and gals who do their own quickie repairs--raise and lower bridges, pickups, working on/filing nuts, truss rod adjustment, fret filing, etc. It's EASY to grab a screwdriver and have a go at finding a quick solution.......but there's almost always a price to pay and that price most often comes when you have to take it to someone else to FIX your repairs. :) Peace.
  19. Söderberg

Sep 30, 2004
    I actually think that most of the Ibanez-basses suck! Except from the Gary Willis Ibanez GWB1 (not the new midprice crap). And speaking of the BTB-basses, I HATE them. No feeling, no sound, just sterile and fretbuzz all matter what pricerange of BTB - and yes, I´ve tried them all and I hope I didn´t have the misfortune to try only "lemons" ..
  20. glnflwrs

Jan 25, 2005
    Hesperia, CA
    Don't let them bully you about returning the bass. Just send it back to the manufacturer within 90 days and demand a refund. Let them deal with the dealer.

Don't try to get along with this problem, send it back.