1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So, our band leader is meeting with Warner Bros

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by chump stain, May 20, 2011.

1. Our manager, and our band leader flew out to L.A. for an appointment to meet with an A&R rep from Warner Bros. While they're out there they are also going to try the old school approch of knocking on doors, handing out demos, calling, and whatever to any major, or independent label that doesn't throw them out, and try to pitch our new music. I've heard that most labels will not even talk to anyone but a music lawyer.

What do you guys think, do we even stand a chance? The new music is very good, dark, avant gaurd, and eclectic. Some of our older stuff is posted on the website Tin Scribble | Progressive Music

2. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Montreal, QC
    Bands still want record deals?

3. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    It would totally depend on the terms and conditions.

4. Hawkbone

Hawkbone

Mar 23, 2009
    Newfoundland
    Love the music, but the vocals are a major turn-off for me.

5. dgravesweiner

dgravesweiner

May 3, 2011
    Well it's called covering your bases. If signing that contract, should that even happen, is a viable part of your buisness plan then obviously you should do just that. Now having said that, you realize the state of the business right?

6. NineSpine

NineSpine

Jun 19, 2007
    What does a record deal offer you that you can't do yourself?

7. ok befor you get signed read this

The Problem With Music

now the thing is things have apparently gotten worse for bands due to music downloads so you'll get NOTHING for doing it

8. EdMerc

EdMerc

Nov 30, 2010
    Central Florida
    The option of being ripped off by someone NOT in the band. :bag:

9. Rebop

Rebop

Jul 9, 2008
    La Honda, CA

I think Steve Albini's essay should be required reading for anyone in an original band.

10. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    Warner Bros. Records has little to do with Warner Bros., anymore. It's connection is really only based on using the logos (which it licenses and could be revoked at any time).

In fact, Russian oil tycoon Len Blavatnik just bought what is left of the record label a couple weeks ago. It's really a group of labels called Warner Music Group.

It's an OLD business model that continues to flounder. You'd get lost in the constant turmoil over there.

11. agreed. i read it once a week to keep myself angry

12. calebbarton

calebbarton

Aug 25, 2007
    Oregon
    I manufacture for several companies including but not limited to: Bridge City Sound, Catalinbread, more.
    Looks like someone beat me to it:)

13. well if your a albini fan you might find this funny

Steve Albini Facts

its kinda like chuck norris facts

14. Yeah, I've read that. And the current state of the business is very discouraging. I think he's going to also try to land us a song on a movie, or television soundtrack or something as well.

Thanks for the truth gang. It's tough times to be a musician, that's for sure.

15. mate. i completely understand. musicans now need to try holding down jobs/educations more than ever. if he gets you movie or tv rights then it will usually get lost somewhere unless its a ballad

16. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Landing film is not that tough.. are you guys flexible and have hook tunes?

(I couldn't hear any hookish tunes on your website)

17. That's our older work, the new stuff sounds a lot like it though, so.. no, not really hooky, or poppy at all. Definitly not for the masses. I think fans of smart music, goth kids, or artsy fartsy types are our audience. Our drummer now, brings more power and groove, and you can hear that in the new recordings.

We've had some sucess selling our previous CD, the new one comes out this week. And we've played some great shows, and some lame ones. We're opening for Gary Hoey next month, so that's cool. And playing a big art festival here this summer. I really wasn't sure about the vocals when I first joined, but I'm used to them now, I guess it's like I felt when I first heard Geddy Lee.

So yeah, I think we're in a tough spot as far as landing a deal, that actually makes us some money, and not one that leaves us owing the record company money. But I'm glad they're out there working hard, and trying to go for it. I hope they come back with some news. Our band leader told me (from when he's done this before in his previous band) that it's usually months before hearing anything back.

I guess I should be thankful for where we are now, we practice, and record in a top of the line studio, call all of own shots, and play out whenever we want. I just want to quit my day job. If anything, hopefully some doors will open for us.

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah, I agree. Imagine how this music would sound with a good vocalist. I'm thinking Annie Lennox.

19. Well so far these guys contacted us, and would like to set up a conference call. Capital

Has anyone had any experience with them?

As far as the vocals, this has been an issue in the past, and one of the reasons there are new members in the band. He has been working with a vocal coach for some time now. He's a good singer, he just has a unique style, or inflection in his voice. Maybe working with a good producer will help?

20. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    Procuring a real entertainment lawyer (they are the ones making the deals) is far more important a step to take than knocking on doors, although it surely can't hurt.
    Check out successful artists you like and find out who they work with.
    A good friend of mine got signed to domino records without management. He found the right lawyer.
    You shouldn't make a move without one.