1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So, our band leader is meeting with Warner Bros

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by chump stain, May 20, 2011.

1. I agree, and I've expressed this to our band leader. I hope he gets one!

2. tanner

tanner

Feb 4, 2007
    Austin, Tx
    hahahaha +100000

3. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    Although I am not a rock guy, the music was great! Lots of twists and turns and things I didn't really expect....good!

The singer actually has a pleasing voice...kind of Jethro Tull-ish....could use a lot more compression so that the softer sounds are louder...but other then that, sounds good and I wish these guys luck!

4. Thanks Lucas, I really apprieciate that!

Thanks for the positive feedback as well. It's really fun being in this band, this is the most musically educated group I've ever been involved with. Both guitarists have degrees in music, and everyone is very studious, and dedicated to their craft.

5. The "old" music business is long gone, its up to you to find a management that can exploit the internet and set up a tour with an established band so you gain the experience you need along with having the chance to get a hold of more followers. Wish I could tell you how but I hated the fact that labels wanted me to promote them!!!! hahaha screw that BS!!
    I know people who are considered "greats" and they were and are and have damn near nothing to show for it. So without sounding to depressing hahaha!!! Your singer sounds like a Northern Irish country singer lost in a Gothic cathedral and is stuck in a mono tone revolving door. Not sure if thats good or bad, if its good just change the name of the group and promote yourselves as the Motor City Rebellion/ Infidels of Satan. The Irish neighborhood just south of the Muslim Croners of Third Street!!! Once musicianship and material are realized then your imagination for promotion is key. All show with NO go fails every time but a push with a strong GO has a chance!!! I'm not talking about lighting the gear up but you need an aggressive approach to promotion. Take a look at the individuals in the group then the group as a whole and see whats really there. A&R young man is the business and no one can promote me like I can I found out so I doubt that you can't do the same for yourself. Just think about it and see what enters your mind. Self promotion is a beautifull thing and the expenses are a write off!!! Doc

6. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    It shows in the music. I also like the nice, fat bass tone. Normally, I am not a fan of going below E for more then one note at a time, but you pulled it off! (I listened to the song that immediately starts playing on your website) There were a lot of good moments in that song..chord intervals that were unexpected, or at least not where I expected them to be. If all your stuff is as good as that...you are probably on to something good!

F ride by Lucas Vigor on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

set 3 by Lucas Vigor on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

7. We tune to Db, and I also play synth bass pedals with my feet, to give us that deep sub bass. We will be shooting a couple videos for our new material as soon as our band leader gets back from L.A. I can't wait for people to hear it!

Next time I'm on my other computer, I'll listen to the clips you posted. The soundcard is screwed on this netbook.

8. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Just remember, when it come to contracts, the large print giveth and the small print taketh away.

9. hyp.spec

hyp.spec Supporting Member

May 14, 2006
    Warren, MI
    I'm digging the music! Keep up the work!

10. Thanks hyp.spec!

I really apprieciate the positive feedback, as well as the constructive criticism.

11. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    all of this. i'm shocked anytime I see anyone other than a "solo vocalist" looking for a record deal anymore.

12. Hey I dig the music. Contrary to most people's opinion, I like the vocals. Not exactly but sort of a Gabriel/Ocasek cross that works for your music. IMO it actually might set your music apart from other bands. Instantly recognizeable. Offering up something different sure can't hurt. He does need some editing and maybe a bit of direction from an outside source but really he does suit your music.

As to signing to a label.....in this day and age who really knows if that's in your best interest. I would almost say that distribution is more important then the overall label itself.

13. Jack, thanks a lot! I think we agree, distribution would be great, and is important. And yes, we've gotten that same response before, that it sounds unique, and instantly recognizable.

It's funny, I don't think I've ever been in a band this polarizing. It seems people, love it, or hate it. My last band was more of a pop/funk band, kind of like the Chili Peppers, and most people liked that. Our singer broke up that band. Some of those songs are in my sig link.

Again I apprieciate the constructive criticism.

Anyone have any experience, or know of anyone who has with Capital?

14. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    I really dig the band, and it is not that the singer is terrible or anything...he seems to have a lot of feeling and passion behind what he is doing and has his moments...but a really great singer could really put the band where you want to be. I played in a one hit wonder that had a deal with RCA about 10 years ago. That experience taught me how to listen to music the way that industry people do and the singer would be an immediate red flag for me. I think your band and what you are doing is great, but I am trying to answer honestly within the context of getting signed to a major label. The vocals meander...and by that I mean (remember I am putting my industry ears on) that I have listened to 5 songs and could not repeat one concise vocal lyric or melody. Producers have a saying....don't bore us...get to the chorus. Were I in A&R, I would see potential in the band (minus the singer), but probably would not be willing to invest $100,000+ in the project. The industry is more cut throat than ever. Top 40 and hip-hop make up a HUGE slice of the market today because they get club and radio spins. Here is how an industry person thinksregarding a bands potential for sales:

If you sign an underground band without radio potential, and you can get them a slot as an opening band on a decent little tour, they might reach 300-2000 people each night they perform live.

If you sign a band with the potential to reach audiences through radio, just 1 Three and a half minute spin of the tune will reach far more people than the 300 - 2000 that can be reached with a live performance. If you can multiply those radio spins in multiple markets nationwide, the song and the band have the potential to reach tens of thousands...hundreds of thousands...or even a million + consumers per day. If the song becomes 'hit'...ie receiveing multiple spins daily at stations accross the country, the odds of the band doing T.V. appearances (Letterman etc) or getting rotation on Fuse or Paladia increase. Now how many consumers do you think 1 T.V. appearance, or video spin will reach? Hundreds of thousands - millions.

Lets say you have $175,000 dollars to invest in a band including recording, marketing, promotion, and tour support. Which of the above examples would you feel most comfortable investing in? Which situation would offer the greatest opportunity to earn a profit on your investment?

This is how labels think.

15. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    Yep there are young people who want to work hard to make money for other people and they get to stay poor themselves.

16. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Musically I liked it. Don't know what your collective influences were but in the songs I listened to I could hear some old Genesis (like Selling England By The Pound and Foxtrot era), some Transatlantic, some Marillion ...

Good Luck! :bassist:

17. Thanks guys!

I don't think we would be replacing the singer, since it's his band. He would have to make that call to step aside and have someone else do vocals. I don't see that happening.

I really apprieciate the insite, thanks again gang!

18. jimbikemedic

jimbikemedic

Dec 26, 2009
    Las Vegas
    sounds like Bilbo Bobbit is singing for you guys.........

19. JumboJack

JumboJack

Dec 31, 2007
    Lakewood,CA.
    That's Bilbo Baggins...If you're going to insult the guy at least get it right...