so, reading back in the post your pedals thread and I have a question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by theleveebreaks, Sep 29, 2005.

1. what is a looper and how would it affect me as a player? I want to get into pedals and building my own and such, but the first one I'll probably buy is the Electro Harmonix Bass Micro Synth. Do I need to put a looper in my effects line? I run an Acoustic 360, into an Ampeg 8x10.
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    A loooper is something that simply allows you to true bypass one or more pedals by electronically removing them from the signal path instead of the signal flowing through them. I don't personally find a use for them, but others have, and Davidmwilson's pedalboard, let me tell you, whether or not he uses them, is confusing as anything! :)
  3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    They are pretty useful if you use several different effects at different parts of a song. Especially effects that don't sound well together. So instead of prancing around your board you just hit a coupla switches and you're golden.
  4. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    You might want to get a loooper if you're going to go for the bass micro synth.
  5. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Just remember that a looper and loooper are 2 different things! :smug:
  6. ah, thank you guys so much for your input, so if I were to have a certain song that I needed two or maybe even three effects for, I could just leave them running and then hit the looper's switch to bring them into the mix? would I want more than one looper depending on how many effects I have? or should I just stick with one? I'm not really as you might say, educated, in the pedal world.
  7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Well, if you go for more loops.. excuse me... LOOOPS, you have room to expand. I think three is a good number. I always carry three pens so if someone borrows and walks away with one I still have one plus a spare :)
  8. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    If you are into effects, a loooper is a great tool to have.

• I use it to bypass noisey effects.
    • I use it to test non-true bypass effects to see if they effect tone when off.
    • I use it when breadboarding effects as the on/off switch.
    • At home I generally always have my bass plugged into the loooper. If I want to try an effect, I can plug it in with the loooper off and don't have to turn down the amp.
    • It also works as a mute when nothing is plugged in or as a tuner mute with a tuner plugged in to the send but not the return.

And that is just the tip of the iceberg. For $50 or so shipped it is a great investment.

Effects come and go but the loooper remains :bassist: