So..... Reccommend me a head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by blizzard, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Hi everyone, as the thread title says I need you guys to reccommend me some good heads. I have roughly $2000 AUD to spend on this and I want a head that is fairly versatile because I play everything from Jazz and double Bass to hard rock and metal.
    Already I've got some ideas on what I want to look at and they are GK1001RB, Eden WT550, Ashdown, Markbass, Labsystems. I would like to know your opinions on these heads/companys and also to make some reccommendations on other companys.

ps. I will most likely be running through a schroeder 1212 or 1210.
  2. The GK, Eden are both really well respected amps, both pretty Hi-fi, but capable of adding warmth and grit, I can't speak for the other two you mentioned though, as I don't know them.
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    the Schroe 1210 i tried was like a sweeter, more refined Eden cab, so i'd go w/ the WT550.
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I like both Eden and GK. I think my second amp will be an Eden. I have the 1001Rb.
  5. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Carvin B1500, if they'll ship down under.
  6. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Genz Benz or Ampeg
  7. Bassin' 'Round

Bassin' 'Round Banned

Apr 30, 2005
  8. You won't pick up a new WT-550 in Brisbane for under $2300. I picked up my 1001RB-II new for $1700. The Lab Systems are a little overpriced IMO, Markbass have some good prices but good luck finding a dealer in Brisbane. You could also go the pre/power setup and pick up something like a Sansamp RBI and Crown XLS 402 for around $14-1500 bucks.
  9. kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    Northampton UK
    I used to love Eden before I tried MARKBASS !
  10. FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Yeah, i'd definately say Genz Benz. The tweakablity of the GBE400 is excellent. I can get whatever tone I want.

Here's some clips if you'd like to hear for yourself:

the sample doesn't show the amps versatility, but it does show its excellent tone! :D
  11. Oberg

Apr 10, 2005
  12. EdenWT550 is a great head. The Thunderfunk550 /Schroeder combo sounds great, and TF has distribution now in AU
  13. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Can you get a mesa Walkabout over there within your price range?

If so, that's my recommendation. Very sweet head.
  14. I'm flying down to Melbourne in about 2 weeks and will be visting The Basscentre while I'm there, they should be able to give fairly good prices on Eden and they sell GK1001RB's for around $1400. I'm also lucky that my local shop is the only Mark bass dealer in the state and I tried a SA450 there which I like.

As for the person who said go with an Ampeg, I've tried some and found they weren't for me. The SVT - classics or whatever the all tube ones are might be good but they ones in my price range i was disappointed with.

Also with a T-funk, all the hype they get around here they sound like a great head, but I'm just a bit wary of buying something I've never tried out before.

Thanks for the responses and keep them coming.
  15. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I play double bass a lot, and electric...well more than I used to the way jobs are rolling in right now.
    The TFB550 is the strongest 550 watts you'll play.
    The eq section is outstanding, powerful, and flexible, having bass under a 4 band semi parametric section, and treble over it.
    The enhance function is much like swr or eden, to the left is a litte more gritty and fat, to the right is cleaner and enhances bass and treble while scooping out some mids.
    The timbre function is magic, biasing the whole rig towards fat or thin.
    Typically you can run everything flat and just tweak to taste with a little enhance and timbre, and leave the eq for "room problems."
    This amp doubles very well in my opinion, and it's quite easy to change from DB to electric in the same set just by some small tweaking of the tibmre knob, for me anyway.
    More info at, and plenty of folks here use them.
    Thunderfunk used to have a 7 day auddition period if you buy direct from them, you might check on that.
    The TFB pairs very very well with schroeder cabs.
    Dave at Thunderfunk is easy to talk to, and great to work with. He will also take your used gear in trade in (if you wanna ship it that far, maybe not).

16. Which local shop is that?
  17. I had a great Eden set up. As soon as I heard my bass through a Euphonic Audio rig, I sold my Eden immediately. The EA stuff is incredible!
  18. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Thunderfunk TBF-550! I'm looking to try get one too!
  19. GK is not too versitile IMO. A one trick pony. I had a hard time getting a good slap tone out of GK.

Eden is the way to go.

I've owned GK only to sell it for an Eden head.

Eden Hands down over GK