1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So seriously what and why is a Fender Baritone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Arnie, Feb 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Arnie

Arnie

May 14, 2005
    Kingston, NY
    I have seen these and just picked one up recently at Alto music in Midddletown NY.. But I have never seen one played in the wild... What is it's purpose?

2. Baritone guitar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Danelectro Company was the first to introduce an electric baritone guitar in the late 1950s, and the instrument began to appear in surf music and background music for many movie soundtracks, especially spaghetti westerns. More recently, the baritone guitar has appeared in rock, metal and improvised music. With appropriate strings, some baritone guitars can play in the bass guitar range.

"Tic-tac bass" is a method of playing, in which a muted baritone guitar doubles the part played by the bass guitar or double bass. The method is commonly used incountry music.

3. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    ^^ THIS^^ You've probably seen them more often than you realize; and heard them even more often than that. As you can tell from the one you picked up, they just look like a guitar - with a slightly longer neck. And, other than having heavier-than-usual guitar strings (my Eastwood Sidejack Baritone wears 13-72s), and being tuned B-B (usually), that's really all they are. Unless you know that a particular guitarist plays one, they can be real hard to spot. They fill the sonic niche between a bass, and a regular guitar; and it's a space that a lot of music visits...:)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016