1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So somebody has decided to get me a new bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sakai4eva, Feb 28, 2013.

1. sakai4eva

sakai4eva

Jan 29, 2012
    OK, some of you might have heard about my plight of losing my bass and my subsequent search for a new one...

Thankfully, I have been offered a new bass by a good friend of my dad's who owes us quite a bit...

So here I am, wondering which one I should pick when I go shopping. I could go all the way and grab the first 4-string EBMM I see but I don't really wanna put him in a bind overmuch.

So, my question is, what's a good, versatile bass to get for a CCM player that is (at the very least) an upgrade from the Yamaha RBX374 which I was using before?

EDIT: Yeah, got a new MIM 70s style Jazz 4-string. Now stop asking about the chicken!

2. Myrriad

Myrriad Banned

Oct 11, 2012
    Squier Vintage Modified Jazz, and a professional setup :D

3. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Nevermind

4. +1 agreed

5. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    If you like the Musicman style I'd get a Ray 34. If you reckon you could get a full on Ernie on this guy then that must be quite the debt.

6. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Id say go with a Squier Classic Vibe Jazz or Precision. Both killer instruments with a proper set up and inexpensive enough that you don't have to feel guilty. Win-Win

7. I agree.

8. henry2513

henry2513 Supporting Member

May 9, 2011
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Buy used you can get more.

9. sakai4eva

sakai4eva

Jan 29, 2012
    Welllllll... My dad says that he owes us quite a bit, even up to the tune of a few grands USD back in the day... I've slinked off a LLX6 and an RBX374 from him over the years... He also set me up with an Ibanez GSR 5 stringer (it's REALLY hard to tell what model at this point) and a 60W Drive amp (yes, POS for both the beginner items).

That totals to about RM6,000 (remember, I live in the [DEL]penis[/DEL] Florida of South East Asia where we have to pay shipping to import any decent instrument) but I still think there's more to be had from him.

Truth is, a new EBMM will probably cost around the tune of RM7k+ retail, although I mightily suspect he will get a dealer discount of sorts. I can make his negotiations cheaper by going buck naked for the bass, but it's not something that I should do, right?

EDIT: Buying used is not something that I mind, but it's really hard to find a used guitar store here. Best thing I can do is to go to the biggest showroom there is in my entire freaking country and hope to heck they have something I like. And I won't even mind cosmetic damages.

10. dodgermex34

dodgermex34

Feb 4, 2013
    I stumbled on to a pretty nice dealer in the Denver area. Just google Premier Bass Guitars. Their website is really informative and they were very helpful. I just bought a used Nathan East model Yamaha from them, they shipped it promptly to LA, and I'm happy with it. You can negotiate with them. I'd take a look while you're still feeling out what you should get.

Cheers,

dave

11. sakai4eva

sakai4eva

Jan 29, 2012
    It would be simple if I really lived in Florida, but alas, I was evicted from my first place of residence in Malaysia.

Like I said, we pay a premium for instruments here because distributors have us by the shorter-than-average short stick.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'd say a Ritter or Alembic Series II.

Actually, glad you're trying not to be a schnorrer ;) Maybe you should look on the used market and get a little bigger bang for the money.

13. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    What's more is you can then invest on proficient (or some) rig

Cheers,
    Wallace

14. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I don't know what the tariffs and shipping would be to Southeast Asia, but what about something from Fender Japan? It's a hell of a lot closer than Japan-to-America. The Aerodynes look super-sweet and are definitely on my "Lottery List".

www.fenderjapan.co.jp

Based on my personal experience, anything with a precision/jazz configuration should be plenty versatile.

15. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Go for a Spector Euro LX.

16. sakai4eva

sakai4eva

Jan 29, 2012
    Thanks to all who posted and gave some advice and feedback.

I went in there to get a Sterling or a Squier, but I walked home with a MIM Fender Jazz Bass.

2WgWYYd.

Tried a few Squiers, some Ibanez, Yamaha sounds too clean, Sterling doesn't seem to cut it, in the end the guy asked me to try a Fender and I'm in love.

Really like the neck profile and the tones that are coming out of it.

Was told that due to the similar weather the MIM Fender would be slightly more suitable, but I didn't really care by that point.

17. unclebass

unclebass

Dec 17, 2012
    Great choice, man that thing looks sweet!!! Think you're gonna love it!

18. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Jun 26, 2008
    Australia
    So is that a MIM Fender 70s Jazz Bass? I like!

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Sounds like your dad may have some pictures of his friend. Maybe something to do with some chickens or something.

20. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Personally I would pass. I wouldn't feel right taking stuff from a guy who was convinced to do so by a debt to your father. All seems a bit shady, but then again none of our business.