Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So....St. Helens Erupted

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eric Cameron, Oct 2, 2004.

1. Well, maybe not erupted. A really big belch is a better term.

About noon, it release a big could of steam and some ash to about 10,000 feet. It went on like this for about 24 minutes, then stopped. The earthquakes stopped, too, for a while, but are now back up to full strength.

No one is hurt, no porperty is damaged, just a 200 foot hole behind the lava dome in the crater.

Very cool looking. I'll see if I can get a few pics up.

It's still rockin' and rollin' so I bet that we will see another one in the next day or two. Maybe something a bit bigger. Couldn't really see it from Portland unless you were up on top of Mt Tabor or the West Hills. Nice little cloud rising up from the crater. Kinda pretty, actually.:)

Rock on
    Eric:ninja:

2. dude....RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!

3. :takes 2 steps:

Nah, too much effort. And besides, I have to be at work in the morning. I don't need to be all sweaty.

Rock on

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :eyebrow:

I dunno, I'd rather save myself than go to work :p

How far is St Helens from you? So you dont get a cool view? That sucks.
    And it only is pretty until it gets ugly ;)

BTW, I bet that that Mount TAbor got its name from Czech immigrants - maybe Portland was founded by them?

5. Yeah I am taking Earth and Atmospheric science right now in college, so we are talking about this a bit. We saw a before and after picture of the volcanoe when it erupted before. After, about half of the mountain was missing. My prof. said probably 30,000 people died in a couple seconds, the cloud that comes barrelling down the mountain is full of carbon dioxide and crap like that, and is about 700 degrees celcius, so it just vaporized everything.

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
  7. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
  8. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Ah... mt st helens. Makes me mildly happy I'm not living in WA anymore. But, here, I mean, there's the whole california breaking off and going to hang with hawaii thing.

9. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    [​IMG]

Ahhhhh!! Run for your life!

[​IMG]

Proof that aliens cause volcano eruptions.

10. Wow. Just goes to show that the media really has no clue about geology or vulcanology.

Starting thursday the 23, they started getting more and more small, shallow quakes just under the dome and in the crater. They frequency, duration and magnatude has increased continually, right now it's averaging about 3-4 a minute in the 1.5-2.2 range. The fun part was Saturday at 1pm, when a 1-hour long harmonit tremor happened. A harmonic tremor is a clear signal that magma is moving around. It's kinda the same thing as your water pipes banging when you flush the toilet. Another harmonic tremor occured yesterdy at 3am, and I think that one is happening right now (10am) but the stupid seismograph is so pegged out I really can't tell.

No, there won't be "lava." This is not a Hawaiian volcano, you don't get cool lava flows and fire fountains. You get plinnian or ash eruptions. These are MUCH more violet, and much more destructive. The big things to worry about are lahars, which is when the heat of the eruption melts the snow and ice on the summit, which creates massive flooding, but the flood is about 25% particulates. It turns into liquid concrete. It will float rocks. Big rocks. These can take out bridges, dams, and local housing.

The other thing to worry about is called a pyroclastic flow. This amounts to an avalanche, but instead of snow, it's ash, rocks, bits of tree, and superheated volcanic gases. These can travel in excess of 100 mph, and are INCREDIBLY destructive. Imagine the world's largest sand blaster. It's bad. Several people that my dad used to work with died when they were caught by a PF on Mt. Unzen in Japan. There wasn't much left of them to recover. And they were standing 12 miles and three ridge lines away. The really nice things here is that St. Helens is known for really big PFs, the kind that travel long distances. The have PF deposits out in the Columbia, in Yakima, and as far west as Astoria (not that one like that will ever get that far this time. That was a BIG eruption 1000 years ago.)

Now, when St Helens goes off, it's not going to be anywhere near what happened in 1980. For one thing, there simply isn't as much mountain to throw around this time. For another, it takes time to build up a good cap over a magma chamber, and there hasn't been enough time for that.

According to my dad, when it goes (within the next few days, he thinks) it will be a rather minor eruption. Nice ash cloud, good earthquakes, but no massive detruction like last time. But if you live in Yakima, Spokane or Walla Walla, you might want to by a couple more air filters for your cars.

And before you start questioning what I'm saying, I have to tell you that everything I just said comes from my dad, who worked on St Helens from 1979 to 1990. He has his Masters in Geology, and his thesis was on the volcanic history of the cascade volcanos. He has written over 20 papers on ST Helens and Mt Hood, and has climbed every cascade peak. He still does free-lance thermal readings on Mt. Hood (I've gone up there with him a couple times. Hot and smelly at 10,000 feet) So what he says is probably the best scientific opinion I know of.

So if you live close or down wind, pay attention. If not, well, pay attention anyway, this is going to be very cool.:D:D:D

Rock on

11. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Is anyone else secretly hoping for a violent eruption that does billions in damage and maybe even injures a few people?

12. :waves both hands like crazy:

Ooo! Ooo! Me! Me! Pick me!

Rock on

13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    So, should I break out my Official St. Helens Inspection Team t-shirts?

14. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    You mean they have a clue about something, huh :ninja:

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    i live less than two hours from the mountain. i saw the smoke cloud. very cool.

i was hoping for some ash in my yard so i could put it in little bottles and sell it to people from around the world.....genuine mt. st. helens ash....i still have some from 1980!

-Mike

16. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Do you really expect newscasters to have the time to be trekkies?

17. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Big pyroclastic flows make small thermonuclear weapons look tame. They are unbelievably incredible.

18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    What the hell is wrong with you guys?

You know there is a volcano there and that you are in a prime spot for a natural disaster to come through and kick your asses and you still keep going back.

;)

19. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    ROFLMAO... O****. Too funny.