Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So teach me some football...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Komakino, Sep 19, 2002.

1. Well I finally bought some new games for my old Sega Saturn over ebay recently, and amongst them is "NFL Quarterback Club 97" (which I used to love on the SNES :) ). Trouble is, I don't know how to play American Football....I mean I know the idea of downs and the scoring and all that, it's the plays that confuse me - particularly the defensive ones. I mean what's 4 - 6 or nickel or dime? Why and when would I use a nickel over a dime or whatever?! Help me out here!! The offensive plays aren't so bad because the little pictures show what's going to happen, but I'm still not sure when it's best to choose a particular one...what's good about a Hail Mary, for instance, or why would a shotgun be better than a double tight end?!

I can't help be wonder that if I knew how to play I might not lose to my brother so badly....HELP!

:)

2. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    The defense is going to put certain players onto the field based upon what they believe the offense will try, (e.g. run, pass, etc).

A nickel and a dime package are both designed to defense the pass. In certain situations, you know that the offense will pass, even if their strength is as a running team. As you know, a team gets 4 downs, (although it's really more like 3), to get a first down, and while running effectively throughout a game is very good way to win, in certain "downs" it isn't likely to get the yardage you want. The average run play is going to gain you 4-5 yards, at best. So, at 3rd and 10, it's throwing time baby! Or, if it's late in the game and the opposing team is losing, they'll probably try to move down the field quickly by throwing.

Your base defense has 4 defensive lineman, 3 linebackers, 2 cornerbacks, and 2 safeties. A nickel defense substitutes one of your linebackers for an extra cornerback. Cornerbacks are better players to defend the pass, while your linebacker should be okay at run, okay at pass, (unless of course you're LaVar Arrington).

A dime package takes it one step further, with only one linebacker, and two extra cornerbacks. This is for even more extreme cases when you KNOW the offense is passing.

A 4-6 package is a standard defense, with the safety moved up to "the box", (i.e. close to the line of scrimmage, usually about 5 yards off as opposed to the normal 10-12). This is designed to stop the run.

Well, it helps to know your team strengths versus the opposing team strengths. If I have a very strong left guard and left tackle, with a good fullback and tailback, I'm going to want to run to the left. Especially if the other team is weaker on their defense line. Some defenses play a 3-4 defense, (3 defensive lineman, 4 linebackers). Don't even attempt to run to the outside, (i.e. sweeps, pitches), on these defenses. The linebackers are sitting in position to take them out.

It's important to take advantage of weaknesses. Football is very much a chess match. If they bring their safeties to the line of scrimmage, you know they don't have support for the deep pass. Maybe it's time to try a bomb. If their cornerbacks are playing far off the line of scrimmage, then little go routes, or slants will work effectively. If their linebackers are dropping back into coverage, a sweep or draw play can be effective. You want to mix it up, be creative, and take advantage of what their defense does.

A "Hail Mary" is a desperation play, usually not effective. This is usually run when you have one or two chances to score a touchdown, or else you'll lose. Not an effective play to use to run an offense. A shoutgun formation can be effective if your QB is suffering a lot of pressure from the defensive line or linebackers. If your QB isn't having enough time to drop pack into the pocket and pass, it's time to try a shotgun formation. A double tight end formation is great for running. It gives you two extra lineman to run block with. It can also create mismatches for the defense if their linebackers aren't fast enough to cover your tight ends in pass coverage.

Good luck!

3. Thanks! I really appreciate the depth and length of your reply Jazzbo...it's all making much more sense already. I might even have to start watching Football on Channel 5 late at night.....

...so I suppose I need to support a team. Pats I think...they at least have "England" in their name which always suits me :D

Thanks a lot!

4. Wow, I'm American and didn't know all that. Course, I grew up playing soccer, er, futbol.

Very educational!

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Oh, I can go on.

6. Please do! Tell me everything you know.

7. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I don't really have anything to add but my brother plays college ball (as well as a lot of PS2) so maybe I can get some tips from him. I've watched him play console games and it's nuts, he customizes the plays and everything.

8. A shotgun is more helpful in passing, especially with 3 or 4 wide receivers. A double tight end is better for short yardage running plays. Hail Mary's are desperation plays, and usually aren't very effective IN PERSON, in video games, they work all the time.

9. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

I had the John Madden nineteen canteen for the mega drive!

I really enjoyed it even if it wasn't a great representation. All the plays had a little chalkboard showing it. I got quite good at it, but can't remember much about it except the Hail Mary - which I agree woirked great in the game!

Jazzbo- thanks for bringing back some good memories, and for the lesson:)

10. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    True, but then you've basically commited to the pass and therefore tipped your hand to the defence.

11. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Unless you do a quick pitch or sweep.

12. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    one thing i wanna add that i didnt see jazzbo mention.

when in the dime package, its advantagous to blitz at least one of the cornerbacks to apply a lil extra pressure to the quarterback. especially if there is an empty backfield. This usually results in a sack or incomplete pass. The downside to it is that it can create a hole in your defense.

HB dives or QB Draws work good too if the D's expecting a pass.

13. You can take advantage of the appearance of the shotgun formation by calling draws and pitch plays out of it. The defense is already back on their heels to protect against the pass and this leaves 3-4 yards of clear room before a tailback will meet the first defender. The recievers draw the corners and safety's back so they are less of an obstacle. It helps when you are really trying to mix things up.

14. OOooh, could you explain what that means please? :)

15. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    QB is the quarterback

HB is the halfback

A draw play is where he drops back to pass, hoping to lure the defense into pass coverage then he runs it right up the middle

a hb dive is where the hb runs the ball either between the guard and center or guard and tackle

16. stop_drop_pop33

stop_drop_pop33 Guest

Aug 15, 2002
    under your bed
    i play varsity football in high school.

my positions are special teams k/o (wedge buster) and defensive line (end, tackle). i am 6'0" and 165 lbs. we just had a game tonight. we kicked their ass.