1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

So tell me about Lakland's neck.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Dec 8, 2006.

1. The 4402 to be precise. I've just finished reading up about 10 pages on them. And this is what I have come out with.

Small frets
    Fender jazz shape/size depth and/or "flat"
    wide string spacing.

I'm a try before you buy kinda guy. So before I pull the trigger I'll definatly drive down to calgary and test one out, but thats a good 6 hours from here. So hopefully you can help me out.

1) The small frets, I understand this is good for soft touch/low action. Is there a problem when you have a hard attack? I dont play softly all the time :)

2) The shape and depth has me confused, is it really "round" like say a sterling, or is it flat like a geddy? I've come to really like "flat" necks. with wide nut's.

3) The nut, it is right between a jazz and a P if you picked it up blind folded which would it feel more like?

4) String Spacing, how wide is it really? Most posts here have been concerning the 5502 to the stingray 5, and I know the ray is very narrow, so is this more like a fender P? Or normal stingray?.

5) What kind of finish is on the back of the neck?
    -baby bottom smooth ala ray
    -satin ala several of the newer fenders
    -gloss

If you can answer them all, that's fine but if you could chip in whatever I'd appreciate it. I'm between a 4402 and a Ray, I like flat necks with wide at the nut spacing, so thats what is pulling me towards the lakland.

2. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    I got my 44-02 just this week, so I may be a n00b to it, but I'm picky about neck shape so here goes:

1) I set up the action pretty low and don't get any buzz when playing hard. However I generally have a softer touch these days, which seems conducive of this type of bass. I leave my rip-the-strings-off-the-board playing for my flatwound P. :smug:

2) It's not super round, but it's definitely not flat.

3) Honestly it feels more like a P neck in the first position, but it's not nearly as chunky. You can tell it's wider than a jazz, but it tapers more as you climb the fretboard.

4) The string spacing feels pretty typical of 4-strings, although honestly that isn't something I really notice. I'm much more in tune with the back of the neck than the front.

5) Satin. Don't like it. However, it's a minor complaint. I'm just spoiled by my raw Sterling neck. ;)

Although I've only had her a few days, I can say the neck is great. I think if I were to get a US model done (and I might), I'd request jazz-spacing at the nut and leave the back unfinished, but everything else would stay the same. Very comfortable and quick, with great upper fret access. Oh yeah and the sound is absolute boobies. Mine has the Bartolini system, and from what I hear the in-house Lakland pickups are like the Barts only better, so there you go.

3. I'm liking what I am hearing.

But yeah the sterling necks are just butter aren't they? I kind of get the feeling the neck shape/size kind of resembles a bongo. Cresent shaped as opposed to a C like a Ray or a Pbass. I dont think I'd mind the satin neck.

I'm thinking I should start planning my trip to calgary after finals... so that'll be ~the 20th or after christmas. Enjoy your 4402, but make sure you get back to the sterling sometimes :)

I wish they were made in america, I cant US ebay one because I will get killed with import duties and taxes... my 140 dollar OLP clunker guitar ended up costing me over 300, I cant imagin what a 1000 dollar bass would swing in extra charges.

4. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I'll hopefully be buying a Lakland 55-02 before Christmas!

The neck...I agree that it isn't round, but it isn't flat. It's almost like a D shape, but...the other way around.

The 5 string had wide spacing, but I quickly got used to it.

The bass is perfect, and sounds killer. I really hope I can buy it.

5. At the moment, not much good... it would be nice if all companie's did that though... When I restring my P I will measure it to compare for sure.Although I'm pretty sure mine will be "flatter".

So we can come to these conclusions... less "girth" than a P but more than a J, with the spacing at the nut that feels more like a P. and standard spacing at the bridge.

edit: nevermind, pronounciation is is Lakland's faq, I had it right :)

edit2: from here http://www.lakland.com/pickups.htm they say the Duncans were scooped and the barts were warmer.... I thought the Duncan's/musicman basses got their punch from a lot of mids and the warmth of a bart came from having less mids?

"The SDs elicited "scooped, processed, extreme, aggressive and biting."
    I thought scooped and aggressive were two totally different things

6. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Note: the measurements on the website will do you far more good than the opinions of some people on the Internet who don't have your hands. At least you could compare to the published measurements of other instruments which you've actually played before and get a ballpark idea of how it would feel.

And even better would be actually playing the thing.

7. It doesnt look like I'm going to be able to try it :(. I went to the only dealer's (within a 10 hour drive) website and they said the ywere available for order... i'm assuming that means they dont keep stock.

8. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Eh, I bought my Joe Osborn without playing it, six months later I bought a 44-02, again without playing it first. I love them both. :D

9. I have a 55-02 and ***love*** the neck - it was what sold the bass to me. I have it set almost dead flat and the strings very low and there is no buzz at all, even on the B.

And I love the satin neck! I tried out a Fender US Deluxe V alongside the Lakland and found my thumb was sticking to the back of the neck very quickly, whereas I can play for hours on the Lakland and there's no hint of sticking to the satin finish. It also seems to stay very clean looking even with my ugly paws all over it!

The 5 neck is long scale and quite wide but I found no problems adjusting between it and my old 80's Ibanez 4 string. Frets are so thin compared to the Ibby!

10. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    For me Lakland necks are the best I've played, both 4 and 5. They always just feel right to me.

11. Good to hear man!

****waiting for one to pop up on Ebay Canada....

it would almost be a better idea for me to pick up a used 4-94 as a 4402 would absolutly kill me in import duties...