Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So tell me about Nordstrand...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by millner, Oct 4, 2005.

1. millner

millner

Sep 26, 2005
    Yo, this is my first post on this board so first things first...hello everyone!

Now onto my questions...

I've thought about it and decided a while back that I want to get a custom made 6 string bass so recently I've been spending a lot of time looking into custom bass builders. Originally I had kind of settled on Fodera as my choice but then I realized that spending around $7,000 and not having it for another year or possibly more just isn't possible right now. So I continued my search and ran into Nordstrand and saw that they were often compared to Fodera quality wise and every review I read on them said they sounded excellent.

So this is where I need some help. I have never personally played one so I was hoping some of you guys could help give me some input. I play technical death metal so I need a bass that can sound pretty mean but still sound amazing at the same time (think Necrophagist as an example). Do you think Nordstrand's basses could be good for this? Plus, does anyone have any idea how long they take to construct an instrument?

Thanks so much for any help anyone can give me. Plus feel free to suggest other companies to me. I'm all ears!

2. greg

greg

Jun 1, 2004
    Austin,Tx
    Ummm Construction time on Nordstrands plus waiting time is about 13-14 months......

3. millner

millner

Sep 26, 2005
    Oh hmm. I was under the impression it was quite a bit shorter than that. Thats pretty bad news haha. Thanks for the info though!

4. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Haven't been lucky enough to play one of Carey's basses, but his pickups are awesome and he's a great guy to deal with. I have MAJOR gas for a Nordtsrand bass, and judging by what I read they're worth the wait. As soon as I pay for the last GAS attack, I'm getting one.

5. Carey's waiting time isn't any shorter than Fodera's at this time really......

That being said, he builds one of the finest basses out there today and you won't regret purchasing one. His workmanship is flawless and his attention to detail is unwavering. Carey's a true student of the craft and is always striving to make his work better. Highly recommended.

6. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Carey makes a wonderful bass that can be as versatile as you need it to be. He is truely one of the fines builders out there.

In terms of lead time though you will still be waiting for a while on a custom order. PM me or email if you have some specific questions in mind.

Thanks,
    Joel

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Carey's basses are among the finest built. Foderas are sweet, but I prefer the 2 Nordstrands that I haved played to any Fodera I have played.

The build quality on a Nordstrand is something special. His fit & finish, and fretwork, are without peer IME.

Here are a couple of pics of my Nordstrand, to fuel your GAS!:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. millner

millner

Sep 26, 2005
    Haha sweet man! Thanks! I needed something to make me want it even that much more! haha. I'm probably going to end up having to wait around a year for any custom bass wouldnt I? I guess I never really picked up on that when looking around.

I'm really liking both the SC and NX body styles but I'll probably go with the NX because the SC won't exactly fit the style of music I'd be using it for...

I've been really interested in Zon lately, especially after that Todd Johnson sig. thread. Anyone know how long of a wait they'd have?

Thanks again for all the help!

9. millner

millner

Sep 26, 2005
    Yeah, that "Carey's are cheaper" part is what originally swayed my decision. I'm 19 and just got off of a long summer of touring (in a death metal band mind you so I'm not making a penny) so I'm basically broke now and when I got home my parents told me they'd go half in on me for a down payment on a custom bass (for a christmass present basically). Unfortunately price is a pretty big issue for me. A positive thing about this is I think Nordstrands look A LOT better than the average Fodera. I have never seen a Nord that I didn't think was at least pretty cool looking but boy have I seen some uuugly Foderas.

10. greg

greg

Jun 1, 2004
    Austin,Tx
    Nordstrands are cheaper but the wait time is very similar. Ive played Andy Bailey's Nordie 6. That bass was awesome though, beautiful too. Im having a custom Yancey 6 string being made right now that has Nordie pickups in it and those pickups honestly kick tons of ass.

11. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    If you're trying to get a bass quick, I suggest looking into Elrick. Was very impressed when I tried a pair of them over the summer. They're quite affordable too, as boutique basses go.

12. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    uh, im also torn between a fodera and a nordstrand. having held both, i am undecided too. does nordstrand make a 36"?

13. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I'm sure Stew will be in this thread to contribute.

-Mark

14. zeronyne

zeronyne Recovering Keyboard Player

Nov 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Carey has stopped taking custom orders for the time being.

I'm in the current batch being made. I put down my deposit in October of 2004.

15. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    the words " cheap" and "nordstrand" should never be uttered in the same post...
    someday i will get this one back
    [​IMG]

needed the $ at the time ....:(

16. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Zeronyne is right about Carey not taking any custom orders for now... I've been asking too.

And to reiterate what Adrian said - the words Cheap and Nordstrand can not be used in the same breath. There is nothing "cheap" about anything Nordstrand.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheap? Compared to a $10k bass? I guess. Cheap compared to a $1k bass? Definitely not. I think the word you're looking for is value - Carey's basses are all value. That I'll agree with :)

17. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I'm waiting as patiently as is humanly possible until the day that Carey announces he's willing to take custom orders again. I've never played any of the boutique custom builders (Nordstrand, Benavente, Bordwell, Stambaugh, etc.), but something about Carey's designs just speaks to me, and I'm almost at the point where I'd rather hold out for a Nordstrand then pay for something else, even though everything I've read about each of those other builders indicates that they do fantastic work. C'mon Carey... I need you!

18. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    Endorsing: Epifani Amplification
    I've never played a Nordstrand, but have no doubts they're great basses.

From my experience though, if you want a great custom bass which will wound great in any style of music (not like a science project, which I am not at all suggesting about Carey's basses)...you can't go wrong with an F Bass. SOLID tone in every aspect. Plus, he makes a great six string.

19. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    You just had to rub it in for all of those guys who didn't get their deposits in to me fast enough, didn't you!!! :D :p 0-9 has been waiting very patiently, as has Eli Maniscalco, another fellow TBer, and their Nordstrand creations are currently underway. Unfortunatley, as has already been mentioned, custom orders are not currently being taken, but orders for Nordstrand Nordy jazz basses ARE. As always, if anyone has any questions about customs, Nordy jazz basses, pickups, what Carey's favorite sushi joint is, or the process in general, feel free to PM me. :)

20. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Another option you may want to consider is Rbass. You can do a search here and do some research on them. Might be very comparable to both Nordstrand and Fodera.