1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So, Tell me about Seattle...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Carver, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Ok, so I've recently found an opportunity to possibly relocate to Seattle. In doing so, I would be able to put a good chunk of money into savings and jump into a position making a little more than I am now, with plenty of room for growth, and eventually owning the business. The only drawback is, it is a LONG move. I'm in Mississippi right now.

I have family and friends here, and am very well tied into the music scene (although music is only a hobby at this point). Moving that far away would pretty much be starting over...I know absolutly nobody in Seattle. I'm single with no kids, so it doesn't really bother me too much, other than missing family/friends.

So, I figured I'd check in here...If anyone here is familiar with the area, please chime in. Cost of living, recreation,crime rates, weather, music, etc...

There are a LOT of pieces that need to fall into place for this to happen, but I figured I'd check it out early. I plan on flying out there soon to get a feel for it. I've never been to Seattle, but I have spent some time in N. Cali and liked it a lot.

Any thoughts?

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    It is damp here, and gray. We don't get the most rain in the country, but I think it rains here more often than anywhere else. We'll go a few weeks at a time without seeing the sun.

Summers are amazing, beautiful. It may get up to 100 degrees for a day or two, but mostly hangs around the mid 80's.

I live an hour south of Seattle, but the I-5 (major freeway from Canada to Mexico) corridor from just north of Seattle to down where I am is one giant concrete jungle.

Crime rates are no worse than your typical large city in Seattle. There are the sketchy areas and the safe areas. Where I live, it isn't all that bad. We got some gangs, but it doesn't affect how I live my life each day.

The music scene is awesome, but I'm not into it anymore.

-Mike

3. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    Sounds like a good opportunity.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    As for friends....you'd have your TalkBass friends up here. There are quite a few of us around. The other guys are real bass players with ties to the music scene. I'm just a poser with some gear in my den, but I can play a really good copy of N.I.B. :D

-Mike

5. It's always nice to have your TB friends around. Not many within a 2hr drive from me right now.

I don't really mind rain that much. I'm more of an indoor kind of guy anyway :) The summers sound pretty mild. It usually tops out around 115 here, but it isn't uncommon to be 100+ for weeks on end. It may be a good opportunity for me , but I'm a little hesitant about the move. I've also been reading up on the music scene. It sounds like there is a fairly big jazz community out there, which is right up my alley.

6. I go to Seattle whenever I get the chance. Awesome city, very diverse, with lots to do. :)

On the other hand, cost of living is high, and the traffic is miserable. :(

7. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    I'd agree with all of the above :)

I've lived in Seattle since 1961 - I was 3 when my family moved here, lived all over the city. I've been a lot places but few can compare to Seattle even on the darkest, grayest crappy rainy day I absolutely love it here.
    If you like the outdoors Washington State is an incredible place, with rain forests, alpine meadows, deserts and arid high country within several hours travel. Portland Or. and Vancouver B.C. are easy drives. And the music scene is very good - lots of venues and plenty of bands of all kinds.

Here's a shot at Cape Flattery, the most Northwesterly point in Washington (and the contiguous U.S.)........

Vacation098.jpg

8. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA