Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So tell me about spalted Maple

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Mar 4, 2005.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I havebuilt 1 bass with it and I want to build several more. I was sent the wood for the bass and I now need to find it myself. Do you guys know of any good sorces for it? I have e-mailed Larry I was looking for others.....Tom

2. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    One site I am seeing it is all air dried. Is that OK for our purposes?

3. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I see a crapload of it on good 'ol eBay..........
    if you wanna go that route.

4. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

You are aware of the dangers of working with spalted maple without proper ventilation and respiratory protection. Right?

5. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    What do you use while working with it?

6. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I have yet to work with it, but I know you really need good ventilation and dust collection. If you go to the MIMF website, they will have threads on it. I'm sure that some of the guys here can better inform you than I as well.

7. don't use ebay, too many people selling crap wood there. I paid 25$ for a spalted maple top bookmatch that was beautiful but too punky to be useful. Also was very poorly planned and had a lot of big chipouts that made it impossible to use. I ended up with a 25$ spalted maple control cavity cover.

8. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
  9. Tdog

Tdog

May 18, 2004
    Spalted maple can be a pain to work with, but the end result is amazing. The spalt is actually fungus (This is the first stage of the tree decaying) and the bacteria(spores) that you release by cutting and sanding can cause respiratory problems, so wear a dust mask at the very least.

Here is a fellow on Ebay that I highly recommend. His name is Ben Lazier and sells under the moniker of sandi1070. I have purchase a lot of spalted maple from him and it has always been as he described.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZsandi1070QQssPageNameZSTRKQ3aMEFSQ3aMESOI

10. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    That's what I'm talkin' bout Tdog :p Don't take one person's advice for granted....