Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So tell me more about dan armstrong...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Dec 18, 2004.

1. ok, so i am fascinated with the whole movable pickup idea...i have heard of the westone rail bass, and the gibson grabber, but i also got word of a bass by dan armstrong called the "londoner"
    well, i had a pretty unsucessful online search of at least a picture of it, so does anyone here know anything about it?

Charlie

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Guitar Electronics For Musicians has a piece giving Dan and Bill Lawrence credit for creating the sliding placement pickup. If I read it right, it sounds like it came about as a job they did for Ampeg in developing an electric guitar that had a clear plastic body. They didn't say what it was called.

I also ran across info at some point about Mosrites (pretty sure it was) making not moveable but modular pups - that allowed different types of pups to be slipped in an out in seconds.

I've just routed my basses to accomplish the same thing. Fashion a pickgaurd and it looks like any other bass.

BEWARE OF BASS PLAYER

Attached Files:

3. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    I'm not sure about Dan Armstrong basses. (Couldn't find any pictures either) But Spalt makes a bass with a movable pup. It's called a viper. I've never seen, or played one. But it looks pretty cool.

[​IMG]

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Man, did somebody spend some time working on that thing.

5. yeah, i hear it's full name is the vinshield viper...
    :D

6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Someone a few years ago was selling a system with one pickup mounted in the jazz neck position, and a second pup on rails, which could move from up by the neck pup to down by the bridge. But the cool thing was that he had it attached to a rack or screw, and then to a servo or stepper motor. There was memory in the controller, so you could memorize seven favorite positions that you could instantly switch to.

If anyone knows where that web page is at or has any info, please post it!

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Yeh, 60'sish same era so must be close. Dan also said he wasn't to nuts about it cuase it was too rubbery. Few of them were made in a black plastic. Makes me think of someone had a trasparent one with a modular pup that could be swapped in and out from the back of the instrument and this might have been it.

8. thanks for the info on dan armstrong, i actually am familiar with his clear basses, i was asking for info on the londoner, with the sliding pickup...

9. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    LMAO :D

10. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    BEADGC,

Great description.

11. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
  12. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Very interesting.

Man you guys are some serious bloodhounds.