Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So that's the stingray tone!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Apr 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Last night I went to see Wishbone Ash at their 35th anniversary gig. I was expecting Bob Skeat to be using his Warwick Streamer stage 1, but instead he was using a Musicman Stignray 5er, through a GK 4x10 and 1x15, with a GK head(couldnt see which model). Anyhow, his tone was very burpy, think a Fender jazz played near the bridge. However, it also had that fat ballsy tone(think flea). I was wondering, is this THE stingray tone, or are there other basses that cna get it? I used to think Stingrays were a bit monotonal and sterile, but perhaps I was wrong.

2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I would describe the stingray tone as being very much like you described it. A bridge pickup solo'd with a bit more bottom end (I assume that is largely due to the fact that the MM pickup is not in a traditional bridge position, but pushed a bit closer to the neck).

3. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    This thread will probably have more than ten pages when I get home from band practice.

4. As good as they sound when recorded well, Stingrays, and all Ernie Ball basses sound sooo much better when heard live. :bassist:

Mike :cool:

5. Could a Warwick Corvette $$ get that tone? I find the Stingrays FAR too big.

6. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I'll bet it could if you solo'd the "bridge" pup on that bass. The other option (although discontinued) would be the FNA model (not the FNA Jazzman). It just had a single MM pup in the typical MM position.

7. Aragorn35016

Aragorn35016 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Arab, Al.
    Probably not. The stingrays tone has alot to do with there pickup and preamp. I have a friend that has a Tobias (growler I believe) that has a single bartolini MM Style pickup. And it sounds nothing like a stingray to me.

8. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    It's something to consider.

9. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    See? I, and many others, told you so. :scowl:

10. I was speaking from experience. I personally found the stingrays I tried very boring and monotonal. Perhaps it was his amp that gave him the tone. :p

11. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    I've been playing a Lakland 55-02 for a couple days (it's on loan), and the Bart MM pup barely sounds like a SR. Anyone who says differently is on crack. I played my SR5 side by side to the 55-02, now I don't know why they even call it a MM pup!!

12. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Nope. I've played my SR5 thought many different amps/preamps/cabs - there's little that changes. Sure the tone might be slightly augmented by the given amp, but the SR is still a SR.

13. Aragorn35016

Jul 3, 2004
    Arab, Al.

And so it begins....

14. So I have to get an SR to have that tone? I find them a bit big.

15. Aragorn35016

Jul 3, 2004
    Arab, Al.
  16. Think the Sterling is kinda ugly......looks off centre to me.

17. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I think it's somewhat hard to replicate a MM's tone with another bass. The pickup and the placement have a lot to do with the sound, and if you don't have those variables, I think getting that tone will be tough.
    Many think the Lakland 55-94s and 55-02s sound like a MM when soloing the bridge, but I would disagree with this as well. The Laklands have their own voice, and to me, really sound nothing like a MM. I have heard that the Duncan Basslines equipped 55-94s come closer to the MM though, and without hearing or playing one, I may have to agree that the hotter p-up design of the Duncan will get a closer MM tone.

18. Hmmm. That Corvette $$ really is more the style of bass I like. It's smaller for a start, and it'll be mroe versatile due to having two pickups. What do you reckon guys, will it get that ncie rounded fat punch that I heard last night?

19. Aragorn35016

Jul 3, 2004
    Arab, Al.
    Im sure it will sound quite good. Just wont sound like a stingray.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.