1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

so THAT'S why people play Warwicks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sheepdog, Mar 15, 2008.

1. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    played a corvette 5 string (bolt on with j pups with 2 band pre)

wow! sort of a woody super jazz growl...just with some hair on it. tough to describe. I just know that my fingers have never gotten that type of tone out of a bass. I fell in love immediately. now do I dare play a double buck fo comparison?

I love my mtd kingston heir (just got a pro setup and new bridge), but I would consider selling it to finance a warwick. other basses have sounded good, but this was the equivalent to a swift kick in the *edited for content* :-D

so any other warwick players out there?

2. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    The Double Buck sounds even better. Steer clear of that one, unless you want some expensive GAS.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The $$ is actually pretty cheap compared to most other warwicks (besides the corvette standard). Its not a bad bass, although its not my favorite sounding warwick. If you ever get your hands on a thumb from before 1998, theres the magic.

4. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    hehehe

5. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Ohh yeah. The double buck's are great IMO, but lose some of that warwick sound/feel.

If you're prepared to spend up i'd definitely say look at an older thumb or even SSII/Corvettes.

6. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    x2 but I just cant get into the look of a thumb..

7. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    +1

I know looks aren't everything, but I agree about the thumb...

found the corvette for under 1000 new. seriously weighing my options

8. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    No kidding. If their high-end stuff wasn't so expensive then I would own a Streamer Stage II, Infinity, blah blah blah...

9. I've got a '98 SSII fretless 5...and it is a monster.

10. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I didn't used to like the look of thumbs, though never have liked corvettes much (the top horn...), but the thumb grows on you IMO.

DSCF0787.

probably most boring live shot ever..
    l_357261219bec5045faf6a4b37a19ca0c.

Go on, try one ;)

Either way though, the warwick sound in general is a great one.

11. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Warwick are fantastic. I have a corvette STD passive and it sound great with everything flat.

Although my wick is the cheapest model but i like it so much. If you like the corvette then you should like their thumb as well. I fall in love with a fretless thumb in the shop when i start playing with it. Definite a good bass to play with.

12. lowstar

lowstar

Jul 3, 2001
    Schnitzelland
    i hear ya :) .
    when people hear recordings of my band, they often mistake the growly neck-pu sound for a jazz bass, but actually it´s my streamer lx jazzman V. that ash body with the ovangkol neck sounds very nice.
    plus i love the feel of that neck (some people call it baseball bat. :confused: ).
    i don´t like the $$ neither, doesn´t sound like a "real" wick to me.
    regarding the thumb basses, that upper horn is just to short for me. i think the streamer and the corvette body shape are perfect.

cheers,
    lowstar

13. funkybassplayer

funkybassplayer Commercial User

Sep 16, 2003
    Longview, TX
    Nordstrand Audio, Epifani
    Defniatly try and find your self somehting with the wenge neck. I know that they will be difficult to find (especially and '88 like mine) but if you can put your hand on one then you WILL NOT be sorry.
    Here's a pic or two of my '88 Thumb Bass NT4. 100_0376.
    48780b8e.

14. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I will check to see what sort of neck it has. I know it isn't maple, ash, or rosewood on the neck. I am used to 'Leo' woods, so can't recognize the others by sight

15. Boogie B

Boogie B

Feb 7, 2008
    Belgium
    Warwicks are practically impossible to get by here in Belgium. The local guitar shop guy told me there's sort of a boycott against them because they're too expensive.

I really love the sound, but the neck seems pretty wide and very flat (huge radius) to me. Both of which i'm not a fan of.

16. Welcome to tone heaven! Once you go Warwick, you never go back...

You might wanna check out this thread:
    Warwick Club on TB

17. melt

melt

May 16, 2007
    .....unless you're me. Had 3 Dolphins and a Streamer Stage 1; really wanted to love them but just didn't.... :bawl:

18. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    I was recently surprised by the Warwick neck. I am an exclusively fretless player and until recently have never picked up a Warwick fretless that I felt was even remotely playable. Becsaue of this I never even tried a fretted. I was in GC one day trying out a lot of different basses and decided to pick up a Corvette. My first thought was that it had a baseball bat neck. While the neck may be thick (and a bit squared off), it was unbelievably playable and fast. I was very impressed!

19. Meh, each to his own I guess:hyper:

I love them to death!