Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So the bass would be maple over dragonwood, and the fretboard would be...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oversoul, Sep 21, 2004.

1. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    what???? :help:

I feel tempted to ask Bill for macassar ebony, how about it??

2. Hey Luis,

What kind of maple top are you thinking about?

Macassar Ebony is a beautiful wood for a fretboard IMO.

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I really really like pau ferro.

I think it would be nice on an ERB since it has a nice toip end quality but still stays roundish on the low end.

4. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal

I really don't know Bernie, I'd really love a quilt top, depends if Bill goes :scowl: or not for the budget :meh:

Nick man, care to post some pau ferro? Which of both is considered more exotic? if I recall macassar comes from indonesia, maybe its not the best option environmentally speaking.

5. I think Gaboon Ebony goes wondefully with Maple as well.

Ken Smith uses Macassar with alot of his Maple basses and I think it goes great with it.

I think the Bubinga fretboard on the Birdseye Maple 9 on the Conklin site is quite nice.

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    ...wide?

;)

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    [​IMG]

Thats from my Valenti.

8. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Nothing looks classier than a straight piece of ebony (not macassar, but the regular plain black stuff), thats what I have on mine:

[​IMG]

9. macassar ebony and pau ferro both look sweet to me. I also like coco bolo, but I think it's mainly cuz it's fun to say the name.

What's dragonwood? Is there a more common name for it?

10. ebony...my fav fingerboard wood :smug:
    and ebony always makes a good body cap ;)
    [​IMG]

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    It looks a lot like ash but is really light weight.

A bit lighter in color too.

12. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    oversoul - I would go for Macassar Ebony, Ziricote, or Wenge for your fretboard.... they all sound great and something dark would look good with a light wood like maple. I don't think Bill can get Gaboon Ebony (the pure black stuff) for a 9 fretboard... my first 9 has it - but I couldn't get it on the 2nd 9 'cause he couldn't find any.

medic8ed - dragonwood is Paulonia (Pawlonia?).

13. hey Luis,

I agree with Jean. ebony, ziricote, and wenge all add a certain darkness to the sound that complements the maple and dragonwood.

can't wait to hear about what this bass is going to be like when it's design is complete!

:D

from the lows,

Stew

14. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    Trust me Stew, I cant wait too! Bill is swamped in work and hasn't had the time to pick up his check, so I still haven't discussed anything of this with him. :(
    Anyway how would Mac Ebony behave with time and environment changes? My area is very close to the sea, air humidity raises a lot during autumn and across winter.

15. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    WENGE!!!

16. hey Luis,

ebony responds, from what I understand pretty dramatically to humidity (from the guy who lives in New Orleans!), but I don't think you will find anything too different from any other woods in your experience.

for my fretted 8 (macassar 'board) the only time I notice it changing is when I take it to really wildly different climates (like Colorado and Montana, which are completely arid) for extended periods. it generally returns to normal in a matter of days.

from the lows,

Stew

17. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    Woa!! OK OK! :eek: :D

But why that strong statement Mark? I like wenge a lot, both the basses I play have wenge necks with a great feel to it, but I take it as a kind of heavy wood.

18. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Do you really think a wenge fb would be that noticable though??

edit: However, ebony as Mr. Latimour suggested would be good too!!

19. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    nope, no clue if its heavier than ebony for example :bag:

Hey , isn't your fretboard for the spalted 8 macassar? How do you like it?

20. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Not bad.. It did experience some shrinkage over the past winter because it was so dry.. I've since wisened up and purchased a humidifier.. I may eventually have it redone with a regular ebony board.