Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So the brown truck brought me an A.M.P. - goodbye, pre+power!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Frank Martin, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Oh yeah.
    No more loud fan noise from the XLS. The BH420's fan is quiet :smug:
    Also, this will save some weight, too :smug:
    Lots of eq-ing capabilities (bass + 4-band semi-parametric mids + treble, plus Enhance and Tone - though these make it a bit too dry and clickety for my liking) - yet it's great flat, I think that's where it'll stay.
    I think I'll keep the SVP-BSP (can never know when I'll need it, the distortion/fuzz channel and the blend can be nice and useful sometimes), but the Crown will be going!
    So, that's about it.
    :)

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Nice score!

I'm hoping that the magical brown truck will bring me Jive1's BH420 fairly soon, myself! :p

Tom.

3. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :cool:

Seems like BH420 is the flavour of the month. At least 3 this month, and counting :D

4. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I'm digging the one that I just got too! Killer, killer tone. Sure as hell feels like more than the 400 watts it's rated for! BTW Frank, I didn't think that the AMP even had a fan, but as Brad Johnson says: "as always, I could be wrong"....

5. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Hey, Quad-Z, can you give us an idea of how the AMP sounds compared to your Kustom?

Tom.

6. Quadzilla

Hi Tom,

Well I was pleasently shocked and pleased at how much the Kustom and the AMP sounded alike. Both can go pretty clean, with the gain down and the master vol up and both can get rather gritty with the gain up and the master down. Neither one quite sound like a tube amp but are rather warm for SS amps.

The Kustom obviously has more headroom and I like the EQ section on the AMP a bit more, the AMP weighs about 10 lbs less than the Kustom. Funny how these two amps sound more alike than any other amp I A/Bed against the Kustom prior to getting the AMP.

I'd say the Kustom is a bit harder hitting on the lows (low D and below), prob due to the headroom. The AMP will make a great backup head and also a smaller venue head where I can just grab it and 1 cab. Nice to have options! ;) :D

7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Thanks for the reply! I was thinking that they would sound fairly similar, but he Kustom would have more headroom and the AMP would be more tonally versatile. So thanks for confirming that for me! :p

Later, Tom.

8. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well mine sounds like it has a fan. I didn't check to see where the air is coming out, but when I turn it on, there's that unmistakeable fan sound, as it starts spinning and reaching it's operating speed, and also when I turn it off, I can hear it slowing down and stopping.
    It looks like they were a bit experimental-like: there are many versions. This is rated for European voltages, has the footswich input under the enhance button, headphone out on the back, and this fan.

9. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Update: the fan is taking air in from the holes on the right side (where the power section is, i presume - as that side is noticeably heavier), and blows it out at the holes on the left side.

10. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Nice! I want a new amp. :crying:

On a related(somewhat) note that brown truck stopped by my house today and dropped off a bran' spankin new 17in LCD monitor with speakers. TB.com looks awesome on it ;)

Oog

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Did you subtract 1 for jive1 getting rid of his? ;)

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Yeah, J-man and I make for a wash, I guess. :p

13. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Ryan from LDS just got a 260 watt AMP used for like 150$, it showed up when I was there yesterday, best 150$ value I've seen in a long time!

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    That was a good deal! Here's another commendable recent score:

Trace 2x10

15. Quadzilla

Well I bought my BH-420 for $250 and it also included a Gator Hardshell 4U rack that has a built in haul handle and wheels (roller rack) and it also came with a BBE Sonic Maximizer mounted in the rack too. Fully racked rig with extras for $250!

There is a BH-260 on Ebay right now going for $99 +$20 and looks to be in A-1 shape. Less than 2 days left and only 1 bid. Link--> AMP BH-260 on Evil Bay

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Very nice score!