1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

So the confusion

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by allbasses, Jun 17, 2007.

1. allbasses

allbasses

Jun 18, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I'm looking at buying my first "full" rig.

Cabinet.
    Head.

In my mind, I've been looking at Dr. Bass, Avatar and Carvin cabs.
    Either 2x10, 2x12 or maybe even a 4x10.

I don't need to hell of a lot of sound, but I know it's hard to compete with a distorted guiter or loud cymbal sometimes. :rollno: But, it's part of the game.

I'm thinking 500watts.
    And I think I understand the whole Ohms thing, but not completely. I read through the FAQs and such. And I understand my electricity, but I'm still getting loss.

In my mind, I'm thinking bout running 4ohms with 500watts. But, I don't think I'd have an issue running 8ohms either.

I've also thought about, over time maybe picking up at 1x15" to "bottom" out the whole rig.

But, I won't be in a metal or hardcore band with screaming musicians.

The heavier things I'll be doing are kind of old school rock or modern alternative, but there won't be as much distortion and straight up "rocking".

As for the head, I was thinking 500watts and 4ohms or 8ohms as well. I just don't understand the wattage to ohms and ohms to ohms numbers enough to know what to get.

There's no price limit really, but I'm not going to go buy the best stuff [yet]. I just want what will sound the best for the price with good quality.

Thanks in advanced for my "newbie"-ness to amps.

2. allbasses

allbasses

Jun 18, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    By the way, I currently play on a Yamaha RBX375[5 string with humbuckers] but I'm picking up a Fender Jazz(MIM) or Geddy Lee here soon.

I have a GK 1x10. 70 watts for practicing and light jamming.

My normal gig is at my church, but I run my Yamaha through a Basspod into a DI. It sounds, REALLY, REALLY good, believe it or not. I use a Geddy Lee sound through a Jazz amp, turn down the mids and highs a little, add some bass. It has an amazing low sound and good tone through out the axe.

The Basspod isn't mine though.

I think I'm planning on picking up a SansAmp bass driver of my own. Also looking at a Voodoo Overdrive for occasional rock stuff. These two through recommendation through my brother. But, i'm not so sure bout the overdrive voodoo.

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    manufacturers will usually post the biggest number of watts their amp can run at comfortably. most amps can run at 4ohms with their biggest watt output. if an amp CAN run at 4ohms (1 4ohm cab or 2 8ohm cabs = 4ohms), it WILL also run at 8ohms (1- 8ohm cabinet) 500w @ 4ohms output is a VERY respectable amp size, to me.

if you think you will eventually have more than one cab running at a time, STICK WITH 8 OHM CABS!!! Because, two 8 ohm cabs connected together will cause a 4 ohm load on the amp. two 4ohm cabs will give you a 2 ohm load (some amps can to that) and a 4ohm + 8ohm cab = like 2.6 ohms, I think.

The only thing to really know about 4 vs. 8ohm is the amp works a bit harder to produce a similar volume as it might in the 4ohm. if your amp starts to peak at 550w @ 4ohms, with an 8 ohm load it might peak out around 400w?? No big deal in my book.

In my experience once you get above 300-400w a good way to get more volume is to get some more speakers in the mix. the same amp runniing one 12" speaker will sound alot louder with two 12" speakers.

At church I've been very happy with two 12" speakers and 550w into 4ohms. if necessary it can fill the room (be heard, not thunderous) The church maybe seats 500 tops and its kind of a roundish room.

4. brisonic

brisonic

Jan 1, 2006
    san diego
    If you're not doing super heavy rock, 500 watts is probably decent for a first rig. The Avatar and Carvin cabs are both decent. I like my Avatar 2x12, I will probably add a 2x10 or 4x10 to it. The Carvin 4x10 neo cab is quite good. I played this in the Carvin shop with one of their heads and a piezo equipped bass. The growl, if you like that, was fabulous. You'll get a lot of bang for the buck with the Carvin stuff, they have some recently discontinued deals. They also a a very beefy combo for $550. http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=BRX112NEO&CID=BRX

5. Ashdown amp heads are not that expensive and they rock. I own a MK500, it puts out almost 600watts. I you need more watts for less money then check out Kustom's 1200 amp head.
    As for the cab I would suggest you to check out Acmebass.com I use one and I really dont need a 1x15" to "bottom" out the whole rig anymore. Good luck.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021