Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

so the hunt continues

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassplayer666, Mar 14, 2006.

1. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Personally I'd get the Squier because it has two pickups and I think it looks better. I recently bought the same lefty model you linked to as a backup bass and like it a lot, it seems solid and sounds and plays great.

2. Johnny5

Johnny5

Mar 5, 2006
    Calgary, Canada
    I can't speak for the Squire, but I'd say the Yamaha (in that finish too). I play the EXACT same one for a lefty, it's great.
    I played guitar for 8 years before switching to bass, and I bought that bass at a pawn shop and it took be all of 5 minutes to decided I wanted it. The neck is really slim at the nut (not quite a Geddy Lee Jazz), it's light, pretty decent tone, attractive finish..
    The only thing I don't like about it is the black control knobs - plastic, kind of cheap. But overall, I think you'll be impressed.

3. ok. the score is 1-1
    need more opinions :bassist:

4. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    My experience tells me that the Yamaha will be of better quality. They had one of those at my high school, and I played in a lot over the course of about two years. Needed a setup badly, but the tone was decent and I liked the neck. It was very sturdy, too, and put up with all the abuse you'd expect a "community" instrument to receive at the hands of a bunch of 14-18 year olds.