Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So, the President of the US comes to my old HS and...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Davidoc, Jan 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apparently the president of the US is coming to give a speech at my former high-school today. (I went there last year, now in college) Reaction by many students? The kids protest and try to organize a walk-out. There are plans for rallying, protesting, and general large-scale complaining. Politics aside, that's rather disrespectful and not-nice. I guess it's the cool thing to do though. Love him or hate him, he's the President of the US, and at least deserves some basic respect. (If I were giving a speech at a high-school, I'd be offended if students started organizing walk-outs)

Thankfully, they're handpicking the students to go so we won't have the less civilized ones going. If it were the random (from my school) population, I'm sure I'd be embarrased to be in that audience, as they don't get the social cues, ans would inevitably start booing, causing trouble etc. (when the local congresssman (R) Tom Davis gave a speech, there was alot of this type of thing, and many kids were asking stupid, and rude questions that were obviously attacking the guy.) I can just imagine how that would have turned out in this type of scenario...

Anyhow, sorry for the rant, but this seems ridiculous how so many kids are growing up without the proper social skills. This type of behavior is even trendy, and is almost an act of showing off. It might be a maturity issue though; who knows, maybe I would have participated if I were a few years younger.

2. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I went and saw the president a few months ago. I wasn't exactly in support of him when I went to see him. But regardless, I did learn something by seeing him. These kids will too. Its quite an experience that they'll be missing out on.

As for them organizing a walk out and such, that IMO is just being a disrespectful little punk. The school will probably be in lock down mode due to who's comming and they should have no choice but to attend. If they get outta line, then the school should discipline them accordingly. Or even better, lets a secret service member or the president himself chew them out.

Although, some might think thats "cool"

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I think the fact that they are handpicking students is exactly why it's FINE for them to organize protests. Sounds like a typical photo op with no real substance to me.

Just because they are in high school doesn't mean they aren't entitled to their opinions.

And, proper social skills?!? :rollno: Which is worse--standing up for something you believe in, or sitting back and ignoring your true feelings simply because you are supposed to?

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Good grief! Any school should be honored to have a president visiting! If I had an opportunity to sit in at a presidential speech I can't imagine not doing it no matter who the president is be it Bush, Clinton, Bush 1, Carter whatever... Bush 1 was the keynote speaker at my college graduation and it was pretty cool. I bet later on in life at least some of those kids will be sorry they ruined their chance to attend.

brad cook

5. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    You're either with us, or the terrorists, indeed. :rollno:

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    huh? :confused:

brad cook

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Oh whatever man, You have no rights when you go to a public high school. Its a sad but true fact of life. These kids need to deal with it.

And please dont ever refer to me again as being for the terrorists. :spit:

8. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Laughable opinions expressed in this thread. I know that i wouldnt attend a speech held by your president if he came to my institution.

I didnt attend a speech given by my Queen, so should i be 'chewed up by the secret service' ?

I can paraphrase this whole thread with this:

"RAH RAH RAH, USA USA USA, UNITED WE STAND"

Can someone move this to the lobby (Where it SHOULD be) so i can say what a i really feel. Go on, ive not talked political for a few days.

9. Yes, this should be in the lobby, away from where I may go on a rant and get banned. Take it away before I lose ittttt!!!!!!!!!

10. Except, apparently, the right to sit there like a good little obedient Republican robot..

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    No I don't think you get the point at all. Also, please refrain from calling me a moron because you disagree with me.

brad cook

12. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I didnt call you specifically a moron - i used it as an adjective outside of a whole sentence, hence it has no subject, so it cant be aimed at you. IF it makes you feel better, Ill remove it from my post.:)

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    People...this is not about supporting republicans or democrats. If you're a high school student and the president comes to your school...whether it's Bill Clinton, George Bush or whatever...that's a historical/educational thing. This isn't a campaign...it's a visit by the president. It's pretty ridiculous that people can't put aside bitterness and partisanship and just enjoy it. If you don't like him then make fun of him in your head or something but come on...what's happening here?!

brad cook

14. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    No, you called us all morons collectively. Only a moron would do that.

15. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Im not going to try and guess your political inclination, because i'd almost certainly be wrong. But what you're saying is, if you were a Republican and a Democrat or a Green (even a member of pre-regime change Taliban) was giving a talk, that you wouldnt mind being forced to listen to it?

//:hasty edit "Hey moron, Im not a moron [or a hypocrite].You're a moron." - butthead with my emphasis.

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'm saying if the democratically elected President of the US is giving a speech then no I wouldn't mind "being forced to listen to it" no matter what his affiliation. I'm a conservative independent, not a member of any parties and I don't agree with everything GW Bush is doing but that's a discussion for the lobby...actually I guess this is a discussion for the lobby too but whatever...

More on morons at the moor on Moore on Friday.

brad cook

17. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    You couldn't have missed my point any more if you had tried.

If you actually thought I was saying you were for the terrorists, you weren't paying attention.

And, to say that you have no rights when you go to a public high school is absolutely, completely incorrect and has been proven absolutely, completely incorrect time and time, again.

But, I'll say no more. This thread belongs in the lobby.

18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    There still is a certain amount of respect to be afforded the individual. If you would rather not go, simply say so if you are picked to attend.

-Mike

19. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I didn't vote for him, I don't agree with his politics, his policies, his cabinet, or his administration in general.

Why should I have to sit through his speech? Would he suddenly not spout written comments and start telling us the cold hard truth? At a high school? Or do you think, maybe, just maybe it'll be a big load of "No, no, I do in fact rock and know what I'm doing" BS that we've heard a million times over?

They learned a valuable lesson in 2000: how to not get caught.

I also think that they're handpicking students is deplorable.

20. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    You've got to be kindding. Just enjoy it? You know--if Bush was going there to simply give out awards for "Best Attendance," or "Super Duper Teacher of the Year," or if the high school was chosen because they won the 2004 "Fewest Stabbings of the Year" Award, I'd be inclined to agree with you.

But, since he will assuredly be giving a speech that has to do with his agenda, be it Social Security, Iraq, Tort Reform, etc, why should they sit back and enjoy it? I'm sure this high school was chosen based on region, polls, etc. If you think he's not "campaigning," you're sadly mistaken.

I think today's high school students have an obligation to pay close attention to this President and his policies since they are the ones who'll have to deal with the consequences.

Okay, THIS is my last rule breaking participation in this illegal thread. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.