1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So the stage collapsed tonight...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by GeneralElectric, Aug 6, 2008.

1. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    We were the second band on that night out of three at a house party that went a little too late. House by the beach, tons of hot college chicks, and as many mohitos as I could pour down my throat. Picture of awesomeness isn't?

We're playing, and I hear this splintering noise, and I look, and the plywood drum riser is starting to sag. I shout at the drummer, but its too late, the whole stage creaks and falls backwards and down with all of us on it. I guess they didn't do too good a job building this stage.

I'm fine and so is the drummer, but our guitarist broke his hand.:meh: At least we think its broken, we left him at the hospital. The drum kit was trashed, but it wasn't ours, and so is the Ampeg Fridge I was using.

My set up is a Mesa 400+ and I was panicking because I thought all the tubes shattered inside. Turns out it was still on and was working fine, which is good. My bass is fine, though now I've got a bruise on my stomach from holding it as I fell on my ass. My cab is trashed though.:meh:

Today sucks:scowl:

2. Siegy

Siegy

Jun 28, 2007
    Central Neb.
    This is why if I see a sketchy stage a venue, I'm not going to use it. I'll just set up on the floor. We played a show one time where there was a plywood stage. The first band used it, but we could tell it wasn't going to last, so we just decided against it and set up on the floor.

Sucks about your guitarist's hand and the drumset. Was the fridge yours?

3. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    :crying:
    Ugh...sucks big time!

4. Fixed it for ya

5. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Fridge was mine. USA flatback 810 with skid rails I installed.:bawl:

6. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    We played a stage built on those yellow milkcrates at a pub last month. That was weird. Seemed stable though.

7. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    I've had to deal with insurance companies/lawyers etc. several times over the past few years.

IME, it's time to get a hold of the owner of the house and find out who insures the house so all your expenses will be covered, especially the medical ( or the broken cab-whatever is your priority). If the GP's hand is broken, not only will he have medical but possibly lost wages and gig money.

If they aren't helpful, IME, tell you'll get a lawyer if you have to. You can always find out the property owner's name at City Hall and go from there.

I suggest starting a diary and recounting every detail of what happened and each day, record any new contacts or new information that comes your way. It's also helpful to get the name/title/phone/email from everyone you speak with. Keep all your receipts. Pictures of the broken stage and witnesses will also be helpful, especially if they put their statement in writing for you. Setup a file to keep all the paperwork in because you never know when you'll need it. If someone needs a document from you, be sure to fax it or send a copy. Don't send the original. Having access to a fax/scanner will be very helpful as well.

Sorry for your loss.
    Good luck.
    Stumbo

8. GregBass1979

GregBass1979

Feb 26, 2008
    Placentia,Ca
    You should have landed underneath the cabinet with bass jabbing into your eye {kinda like an old 3 stooges incident} and then claimed no being able to move your legs and sued the crap out of them..seriously..that is just lame man! :scowl:

9. Silaxian

Silaxian

Dec 16, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Pretty tough for an all tube amp, aren't they? Mine once took a four foot tumble onto a concrete floor with nary a scratch (OK ... it was in its SKB case, but it's NOT shock mounted at all).

10. The Falcon Lounge, a must-play rock venue on the east side of Detroit in the late3 70s/early 80s, had the multi-tiered milk crate & plywood stage of doom! It didn't feel like it would hold during set-up, but somehow rock dogs jumped and slammed their way across that feeble stage for years without incident (that I heard of). Here's to milks and plywood!!

11. coxeymcqueen

coxeymcqueen

Oct 31, 2007
    UK
    I'm usually just happy that a venue even has a stage...

12. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Wow, that sucks. I hope everything works out for you guys.

We played an outdoor gig for a quasi-hippie get-together two weeks ago. The stage was about 6 feet off the ground and portions of the floor, were what can only be described as noticably spongey. I was loathe to find out what was under the ancient carpet that covered the stage.

When we were done, we were shooting the breeze with the co-organizer (the neighbor of the person who puts on the show), and after hearing about the stage from our drummer he said something to the effect of: "yeah, we're gonna have to tear down that stage this year. It's been here since we started in '69..."

13. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Yeah but did you finish the set? =)

In all seriousness, good luck man, and what Stumbo, if that IS his real name says, is good advice.

14. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    We didn't finish the set. No drum kit, or working bass amp, and a broken guitar player. The next band didn't play either.

Kinda after that, the party fizzled out.

15. sucks to hear about what happened! Hope the guitarist's hand heals soon..sorry to hear about the other stuff that broke...hope the homeowners had insurance!

16. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Most likely the city has codes regarding structures such as these and probably would require a permit and inspection before use.

Obviously they didn't get a permit. There may be criminal negligence involved, depending on what laws they broke. People got hurt, property got destroyed. Contact City Hall and explain the situation and see what they tell you.

17. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I'm waiting for the kids parents to come back from vacation. They're friends of the guitar player.

So far they've offered to replace my cabinet, fix any damaged gear, and pay the medical bills, and give all of us $300 (as well the owner of the drum kit)

18. wow that sucks, im sorry.
    Today was supposed to be the luckiest day in years 8-08-08

19. Well, sounds like they're owning up to it. That's good news.

20. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    Man, I've been lucky in over 35 years of gigging. I've seen my share of shaky stages as well as played on improvised platforms which describes them best, and I've seen a band mate or two, and other performers not pay attention and fall off a stage. To have one collapse from under you sounds like no fun at all! I hope you all recover from this misfortune in both your health and material losses. I wish you the best.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021