Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So theres actually a Body design!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Zetora, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Zetora

Zetora

Aug 16, 2004
    England
    Hello,

Recieved my ETS Bridge this morning, and as I told myself I would, I have put pencil to paper and made a body design for my 6 string bass as with the arrival of my bridge.

My Space

There we go, have a look at the end of the "Bass Project - Initial Wood and Parts" for the bridge, and the Bass Design for the body design.

I have details in a blog on their also in other threads of mine I have specified other detail on my bass, wnat to know more, please ask :)

Hopefully I might get somethign glued up in the next few days and then something done and taking shape, no point in rushing though. Oh and if I'm dont get chance to glue up tomorrow I should hopefully have another couple of pictures up of the headstock.

Zet.

2. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Wow! That thing looks mighty fine - Looks like you put a lot of effort into getting that thing just right proportionally... With my template design I just marked out the distance from the top of the neck pocket to the saddles, and to the bottom of the body blank - And freestyled it ;)
    Can't wait to see this finished! :bassist:

3. Wow man! That looks amazing!

4. Zetora

Zetora

Aug 16, 2004
    England
    Neither can I lol

Also I spent hours just standing there (over the table) drawing some, standing back, then going in then redefining the line then rubbing out the old one, then I moved the upper horn down an inch, then the lower up an inch, then anouth half inch, and thats what I got, it too ages but I like what I've got, only have to do the headstock now and get somehting glued (damn lack of time on my farthers part)

Thanks for the comments, Also thanks Paul, glad you like.

I should have a headstokc pic up in a day or so.

Zet.

5. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Sweet! Looks a little bit Carl Thompson-ish, are you going to carve the curls? Should be a monster! I like it! :)

6. Zetora

Zetora

Aug 16, 2004
    England
    Well I'm going to drill the centre hole then carve into it yes, also it is quite Carl Thompson'ish wasn't on purpose I had already got the idea in my head before I even went on his site with the double scrole, but yeah it does looks quite alike indeed, though I dont mind, I like it so it doesn't matter who else's it looks like, ... though having it look like a Carl Thompson can't be a bad thing can it .. haha.

Thanks guys.

Zet.

7. Zetora

Zetora

Aug 16, 2004
    England
    Update:-

Got some gluing done, some details and pictures of it in the blog on my space;

My Space

Put it this way, I was lucky I had left half inch either end my desing to account for the wood, damn thing chipped away as we put it through the thicknesser, my fav peice of wood of the lot too.

Anyway enjoy I'll have some more pictures up of it soon as well. Also I am hoping to start on the neck sometime this week, if I can get dad some time of doing some work.

Zet.

8. edvon

edvon

Apr 4, 2004
    Australia
    Hi Zet,
    just had a look over at your Space, that design of yours looks unreal, the combination of maple and walnut, great, all the best with your project...
    edvon

9. Zetora

Zetora

Aug 16, 2004
    England
    Well yet again, another update;

My Space

Pictures of glued up body (after being clamped), neck glued up and clamped, and some wood which was discovered in my dad garage today, some nice figured elm.

On that note I haven't heard much on elm being used in basses, any particular reasons? Or am I just a bit depreved of education on that part :p

Well things seems to be goign pretty well in progress, just gotta wait for the glue to set properly before i can start cutting it all up lol.

Zet.