Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So, there's this thing called "GAS"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Aaron Saunders, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I don't know if you guys here are familiar with this, but the BG side is rank with the disease. I even found myself afflicted with it for much of the time I've been playing...and it was only a few minutes ago that I realized that since I became far more regular here on the DB side that I realized that, while I always keep a BG forum browser open, I haven't been in the "Basses [BG]" forum more than a handful of times in *months*.

This is a very startling realization. It used to be that I'd have one tab* open in DB, one in a random BG forum, and one in Basses [BG] at all times. Gradually I opened that last tab less and less, and I only now realized it hasn't been opened in a very, very long time. This forum, and probably more specifically, more serious study of my instrument(s) and jazz as a whole has basically cured my GAS. Yes, I just finished paying off my DB and I just put $500 down on another slab, but this is a thing of necessity -- I need a decent fretted toybass for university/college next year and my Samick ain't gonna cut it. I haven't been on a bass company's website in ages, and it used to be that my browser was full of cookies from G&L, Nordstrand, etc. I haven't actually read a product review in BassPlayer Magazine in months, I just flip right past them to the interviews, lessons (there was a period of time in which they dissected PC's walking lines -- very cool) etc.

I gotta say, it's nice to finally breathe clean air.

*Note: I use FireFox.

2. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    But have you gone amp/rig shopping yet? That's some bad GAS there... preamps, cabs, pickups, oh my!!!

I dunno if it's any better than BG gas. I keep drooling over Arnold's New Standards. And then those old basses from Nahmann or David Gage or whoever else. And then there's always the question of what strings haven't I tried. Or is it that I need to try one of those EA cabs?!? And what about the little things like that nice sound post setup kit that Kolstein sells?

My last spur-of-the-moment purchase was a Focus SA and more recently a Revolution Solo pickup.

No GAS you say?!?! :crying: :rollno:

At least now I have a little more discipline. Anytime I feel like making a new purchase I just stop drooling over whatever it is and head for the shed. But man it can be hard still.... :(

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    It somtimes blows me away how many slabs some of the guys over in BG own. And these are some high end instruments in some cases. They are really worlds apart from my trusty old J-bass which rarely sees the light of day.

Ken Smith notwithstanding, you don't see too many guys in DB-land with a whole quiver of different basses to choose from.

4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Once I got into the DB world, I found that my interest in owning lots of EBs and related toys really faded. Now I just own a couple of versatile electric basses and a good utilitarian amp which can cover most any gig. They've become tools, no more and no less.

I don't really GAS for a bunch of uprights either. Half the charm here is to really get connected with a single good instrument, and my NS Cleveland has given me that. I have a spare, but it's just that...a spare.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I think that HUYDIDDLEDIDDLE has a good point about DB GAS just being different that BG gas - there's always amps & pickups to lust after, and if you haven't got your "soulmate" DB yet, there will always be potential GAS in that direction. I remember several years ago at the Aebersold camps, Rufus Reid took me aside and jokingly told me that I might just be a bigger gear whore than even he was...but at that time, I was still "in search of" my signature "sound in my head". Once I got the new LaScala hybrid, I don't gas for basses anymore, because it does everything I need beautifully. Likewise the VL208/Focus 2 combination and the AMT/FC pickup pairing. Once all of that stuff was in place, I just focused on playing, and it's a beautiful thing! But I wonder if it isn't some sort of DB rite of passage to try everything out in the hopes of getting a little better sound before finally settling on what works.

I know that I'll get grumblings from the peanut gallery on this last part, but it's kinda like marriage: you know you've married well when you don't notice other women all the time like you did when you were single. YMMV, of course.

6. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Getting into the DB world from the EBG world is like moving from the Toyota Tercel Users Group to the Corvette Collector's Club. Maybe not as many individual units of gear to lust after, but the stuff you lust after costs big dinero. Don't forget your credit card.

7. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I think you hit it the nail on the head tho. Thus my point about going into the shed rather than buying something. Try to get the sound out with your fingers and not through equipment. But about that last part, just because you stare at hot chicks doesn't mean you don't love your wife. Just ask Paul - he's got hot chicks all over his bathroom, but I'm sure he loves his Bohmann. :)

The planker spankers are worse than us. i know for sure cuz I used to be a guitarist. I think I maxed out at 7 guitars tho I played like crap. IMO, the only real difference is that we don't lust over multiple axes and don't go for effects pedals. We just own one or two axes (unless you're K$B :)). Everything else stays the same. Remember, strings ain't cheap and we all buy sets after sets searching for that better sound. If that ain't GAS I don't know what is.

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I knew someone would object to this...all I mean was that a happily married man sees a beautiful woman and thinks, "she's beautiful...how nice", whereas a not-so-happily married man doesn't stop at "how nice". :)

:D :D :D

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think this is crucial and a genuine difference and I can remember trying hundreds of different BGs to get "my sound" and to get the right one for me, but since actually getting a DB I just want to play it as much as I can and explore what can be done purely acoustically with technique - I don't want to spend "music time" doing anything other than playing and feeling it , as others have said - really getting to know one instrument !! :)

The other thing that strikes me as maybe relevant :

So I got to Jazz gigs every week and see different DB players with different DBs.

But coming from BG where a Fender looks very different to a Rickenbacker, which is nothing like a Zon etc. etc.
    - most DBs look pretty similar (those used by Jazz pros in the UK anyway) - same basic shape, bridge,materials and similar colour - with maybe a few details which mostly, only other players would notice.

OK - maybe I'm exaggerating slightly ;) - but my point is that the basses may look more similar (than BGs) but each player gets their own personal sound by how they play...

10. This is a man after my fashion. I don't want instrument builders to go broke so I encourage anyone who can (Buy another one, Ken) to purchase to their heart's content. I bought my 1973 Fender P in a pawn shop in April 1975. The next bass that I purchased (excepting the plywood that a buddy kind of stuck me with) was my 5 string DB, thirty years later. I have only ever owned one classical guitar (Dad's), one electric Gibson (1969 SG standard), one electric Fender (strat). I've had a series of amps, but generally only one at the time. They tend to blow up, become obsoleted by being first not loud enough, then not big enough, then too loud and too big at the same time. But now I'm down to my vintage '72 Marshall half-stack and a Fender Rad Bass. I never was a pedal/effects freak. I have a whole raft of other stuff (mics, stands, recording interfaces, condenser mics, Roland piano, not to mention several unique folk instruments). What can I say, I started this reply just like I started purchasing and it gets out of hand.

Have you seen my new contact mic tuner gadget? Hmm. Must've put it in the 2-bow case... with the four cakes of rosin (lifetime supply). Gotta go fill up that humidifier... Later!

11. bassame

bassame

Mar 25, 2004
    Brooklyn NY
    I think all of you have made good points, especially the point about concentrating on your practice and technique rather than searching for the next brand of string, pre-amp, pickup, cabinet, amp, or bass. But isn't there another point to be made? Isn't there something about reading Talkbass that stimulates GAS?

I remember in the 70s I had a subscription to Stereo Review and everytime I heard of a new receiver or speaker I lusted for it. Then I got a sub to PC Magazine and the same happened with computer equipment. Reading Talkbass has the same effect on me - I am a weak, materialistic fool. :rolleyes:

12. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    +50. I just HAD to try out onna them Revolution solo's. BTW: I plunked the cash for the SP setup kit from Kolstein yesterday. But as we always say... "it's the last thing I'mma gonna buy!!! Honest!" :scowl:

After I made my post yesterday I started scouring TBDB for some new strings as an idea. Something super growly. As we all say... I like my strings but....

The proverbial Grass is always greener. Or in my case, the Anima's are always greener... :p

But that's how I ended up getting the SP kit. I tried to stick with what I wrote and stick with what I got. So, Myth or not, I'm gonna learn how to set that SP and stick witht eh current setup. See if I can work with what I have. I do like my current strings so why change?

Admittedly, I'm still buying something. :( I still try to justify my purchases but it gets a little outta hand still. At least the Revolution Solo can serve as a good backup pickup. And I'm gonna blend my pickups the cheap way... with a RCA y-Jack. :D But I'll leave that for the other threads.

Anyway... I think we need a support group. "Hi my name is Huy. I'm a bassist and a GASaholic." :help: :bawl:

13. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Tell me about it! I was about to POP today as I watched the bidding end on a sweet used BG today...$300 less than new and looked mint. Yesterday it took all the will I could muster not to buy a SBDDI; not critical right now as I play through a decent tube preamp into the house, I'm digging my passive BG tone, and don't have a DB yet. Saving for the DB is prolly the only reason I could withstand the pressure. I kept telling myself that the money I didn't spend brings me that much closer; gratification delayed.

TB is tough on the GAS! But it does help to make informed purchases based on peer review. And the more reviews...the more purchases. :p

14. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    ((gear options/gear reviews) * gear frustrations) + peer pressure = G. A. S.

:p

15. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    It doesn't stimulate GAS for me...it does help me to make informed decisions based on what people have posted here.

16. Bruce Lindfield

I think it used to for me when I was looking at the BG side and buying that kind of stuff...

But since getting a DB I just want to play it and I find loads of useful advice/ideas around here - but no GAS, as there is no chance I could ever buy 99.9% of the basses discussed here, as they are only available in the US and there's no way I would risk shipping across the Atlantic - plus they're way beyond my budget....;)

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Hey, I live in America and they're way above my budget too! Fortunately I think I'll get plenty of mileage out of my Upton Hawkes. Strings will be the death of me, though. That's where my DB GAS is in full effect. Been playing 8 months now and still haven't decided on what strings I like the best.

But I agree with Mchildree that since getting the Upton, my interest in acquiring new electric basses dropped to 0. Electric's my bread and butter, but since I got the Jazz I always lusted after but never took the plunge on until last year, I've got all the electrics I'll ever need.

18. Bruce Lindfield

Strings aren't GAS for me - from research around here and other DB sites I got the impression that 90% (or more?) of Jazz DB players have used Spirocores - put them on my bass and I'm happy - that's what most DB Jazz players use - why change? ;)

If they're good enough for Dave Holland...

19. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    The only GAS I have related to strings is to eventually make a permanent switch to Dominants. I've played them many times on my teacher's Kay and IMO, they sound much better in the mix than Spiros, so I'll be making a permanent switch as soon as things calm down around here and I can do without my bass for a few days.*

* It needs a couple things -- lower nut, properly radius the bridge, and a shave of the fingerboard, so I'm getting all of that done at once with the Dominants and getting my French repaired.

20. Can I ask an ignorant question? What, exactly, does GAS stand for? I thinkk I get the idea from the context it is used in, but a definition would be handy.

(I just had to ask someone to explain what "crumping" and "clowning" meant... I am so not hip to the nomenclature)