1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

So They took everything, but My SVT....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JMac- Wiskerface Designs, Jan 6, 2012.

1. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Bit of a vent here......
    I had the displeasure of having My house broken into Yesterday. Security system helped get them out quick, but they nabbed both of My basses, My vintage Fender Mustang guitar, Epiphone SG, and My Laptop.
    The only bit of gear they didn't steal was My SVT :)and cabs(Thank God!). Several things came to mind......
    1) The SVT and/or cabs were more than they bargained for weight wise (heavy amps are good like that).
    2) It would've been to hard to run down the street with.
    3) They were just that dumb (Highly possible).

So Yesterday afternoon I had to replace the back door on My house, and make a mad dash trip to Guitar Center to pick up a bass to get Me through till My insurance pays up. I am spending My day today dealing with the insurance company, and casting nets to possibly recover some of My gear.

Needless to say I feel violated.....:bawl:

2. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Sorry to hear that. I know how you feel.
    Good luck getting your gear back.

3. Very sorry to read that. I hope they catch the a******s.

4. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    JMac... So sorry to hear of this. It sounds as if your instruments were the main thing the crooks wanted most. Good to know you're insured. Everyone needs to protect their gear in this way. Vintage guitars can be nearly irreplaceable. That hurts!
    Again, sorry to hear this.

5. Luv2Pla4U

Luv2Pla4U

Feb 18, 2011
    Richmond, VA
    1. The suspects most likely know that you are a musician.
    2. The suspects most likely knew how much time they had.
    3. The security system worked, but a snarling dog might have saved the day.

Sorry about your loss, hopefully you have serial numbers & photos to turn over to the cops.

6. theretheyare

theretheyare

Sep 4, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing: Arkham Vacuum Tube Amplification
    That's horrible. I to this day thank the stars that when these dumbskulls broke into my apartment a few years ago they took everything they could carry (jewels, computers, mixing board, dvd player, stereo, power amp, etc-they had all the time in the world) except my instruments. It did teach me, however, to take out insurance. And I'm glad to hear you did. Good luck and all the best with finding worthy replacements (if retrieving your basses won't happen).

Good luck.

7. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Thieves should hang. :( Sorry you're having to do deal with this.

8. If you've got the serial numbers, give a copy of them to the police and check pawn shops in a month or so. Sorry about your loss. Being robbed sucks. I hope the insurance covers everything.

9. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks a bunch Guy's!
    Yea, I have pics Serial #s and all that. Gonna canvas the town to see if any of My gear turns up....
    Yes, I agree...All thieves should be hung.

10. mophead

mophead Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Texas Panhandle
    Sorry to hear of your loss. Our house was broken into once and it just pisses you off to come home and find all your stuff in the floor while you have been out working all day so the thieves can come because you have a job and they don't.

Just curious, did you have separate insurance for the musical items or just homeowners?

11. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I take pics of everything including the SN tag if it is readable with a camera and put the SN's on the pics using a paint program. Then I place them in a email to myself, then place that email in a "Stuff To Keep Folder". This always allows me to have instant access to the info for all of my gear from any computer. Also, consider getting a German Shepherd...A little German Shepherd goes along way.

12. "Any" computer is the important part. Taking pics and saving them on your hard drive doesn't help if they steal your computer too! (web-based email, of course, solves this)

I do the same but CC a relative and ask them to please file it just in case I ever need a backup.

13. PaulRR

PaulRR

Jan 4, 2011
    Make sure you check e bay and craigslist.

14. I have an extra gun case maybe my basses will go in there now.

15. elavate7

elavate7

Jul 8, 2009
    its all about "THE POCKET"
    sorry to hear about that man, i had to replace a bass that was broken about a week ago. it was a 5 string and i with the money i got, i was only able to pick up a 4 string :(

16. gttim

gttim

Dec 12, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I keep all my serial numbers on a Google Doc Spreadsheet, so I can access it from anywhere. I also picked up a program for my iPhone that takes a picture and records all the models, makes, serial numbers and such. Insurance wll want all that!

My neighbor was broken into before Christmas. Second time for that condo in 2 years. I am convinced my condo was bypassed because of my dog- German Shepard mix. He doesn't like people coming near my place. Still, I just bought a motion detecting webcam for $80. Any motion out my front window gets 4 pictures snapped and them emailed to me over the wireless- computer does not have to be on. It is very visible when you walk up the stairs. I am hoping it will make burglars think twice.

17. Man sorry to hear about that! That sucks. I hope the cops can recover your guitars, and it would be great if they busted those guys and put them in jail.

18. Oh god man, that's terrible. I really dug your basses too!

That's the one good thing about tube amps being SO HEAVY. lol.

Look at it as a chance at a new beginning, so long as your insurance pays up, you should have some fun looking for some new instruments.

Try and look at the bright side.

19. Commiserations. My parents just had their place hit right before Thanksgiving, and they took my dad's American Deluxe strat, among other things. They got a lot of the heirloom stuff back, thankfully, but the guitar is still missing. In fact, they've recovered just about everything else.

We had some cheap drums set up in the basement for my son and my nephew to bang on while they are there, but my brother's $1200 custom maple snare drum was among these. The thieves managed to overlook that.

It's funny how thieves sometimes don't take the more expensive items, maybe out of a lack of knowledge about the gear. This drum was sitting in a case and they wouldn't have had a chance to look at it (I think it actually looks expensive, but you'd have to open the case to see it.)

20. 4StringShooter

4StringShooter Banned

Jun 26, 2011
    London, Ontario, Canada
    GBX Member #1
    Someone knew the **** was there?.......Those close.......:ninja::bag::ninja: